Just off the Inspiration... what do you want to know?

Brute Bandit

My understanding from talking to our Matre'D and Waiter that they did away with the Baked Alaska. Also did away with several other items that were not popular. They updated the menus recently.

However we had great food on the Miracle in September.

Please tell me that Baked Alaska is still being offered. I love that, I've even tired it home but it is not the same.

We had Baked Alaska this week on the Inspiration. Now, it does not come out flaming or anything, but it is on the dessert menu one evening. They also have soufle's one night that were quite delicious!

3) What made the cruise special for us though was the surprise visit from the upgrade fairy that we received in Tampa at check-in. As we approached the counter to present our doc's, the agent asked if we "were aware of the room change". Mentally, I was saying to myself "here we go, they played around with our bookings". Then, she showed concern as she noticed that my family had booked adjoining OV rooms on the Upper level. My blood pressure started to increase as I was imaging how could they be moving our rooms around and not keeping them together. She called over a VIP agent and then went on to explain that they upgraded us to Verandah suites (side by side). Wow! What a pleasant surprise.

+++++

So when you purchased your cruise you chose the rooms that you wanted and still got an upgrade? I have always read that does not happen unless you book a gty.

Maybe we will get lucky too.

We had Baked Alaska this week on the Inspiration. Now, it does not come out flaming or anything, but it is on the dessert menu one evening. They also have soufle's one night that were quite delicious!

Yumm, I CAN'T wait for the soufle in a few weeks! My favorite dessert!!:D Does anyone remember if they still have pumpkin soup? It's my absolute favorite thing and I'm always afraid they aren't going to have it! (I know tough thing to be concerned with huh?:p )

So when you purchased your cruise you chose the rooms that you wanted and still got an upgrade? I have always read that does not happen unless you book a gty.

I was wondering the same thing about already having cabin numbers. Now my mind is wandering....hmm, it's my 7th Carnival cruise AND it's my birthday....that surely deserves a complimentary upgrade!!! Joking, of course.

So happy to hear all the great reports. I can't wait!

3) So when you purchased your cruise you chose the rooms that you wanted and still got an upgrade? I have always read that does not happen unless you book a gty.

I never even give a thought to upgrades as we usually book the staterooms we want and pay the price.

We also don't do guarantees since we request side by side cabins and gty's leave too much room for that not to happen.

So, it was a very pleasant surprise to say the least!

Good luck!

Don

Does anyone remember if they still have pumpkin soup? It's my absolute favorite thing and I'm always afraid they aren't going to have it! (I know tough thing to be concerned with huh?) /quote]

Pumpkin soup was on the menu. Can't remember which night(s).

Enjoy your trip!

Don

George was taken off the ship during our cruise. I'd been wondering how his health was and if he returned.

I never did the deli- we admired the sandwiches but always ate in the dining room!

The Baked Alaska was great!

We docked right at the pier in Cozumel. The tendering at the Caymans was horrible!

We had an upgrade from an inside guaranteed to one with 2 small portholes. We definitely noticed the movement of the ship but it helped to be able to see out!

We enjoyed the dancers and singers too. The R rated comedian wasn't very good in my opinion!

We had a great time... your posts really make me want to go again!

Laurie

Does anyone remember if they still have pumpkin soup? It's my absolute favorite thing and I'm always afraid they aren't going to have it! (I know tough thing to be concerned with huh?) /quote]

Pumpkin soup was on the menu. Can't remember which night(s).

Enjoy your trip!

Don

One of the best soups at sea...if not the best....;)

Can't wait for mine...

When I booked a few months ago for our 11/30 4 night cruise I paid 562.00 total and got a 6D cabin. I think at the time they had some sort of 2 CAT upgrade so I think I really paid the price of a 6A at that time.

I looked this morning and it looks like they have no 6D cabins available any longer and only 2 Verandah suites but I could get a 6B for 762.10.

The4cruisers: Can you tell me your room number that you had on the Verandah deck? Were you upgraded from a OV room?

We were in V2 & V4 and we were upgraded from OV's on the Upper level.

V1 & V2 are the first balconys on either side of the ship. These have no privacy at all from the people on the observation deck and stairs.

After the first evening, we didn't use the balcony in V2, but spent many hours outside of V4. People out on the wing of the observation deck could still see you and hear your conversations, but it wasn't as bad as the first balcony.

The last sea day was great because the entire observation deck was closed off due to high winds; so no gawkers. The partitions between the balconies shielded the breeze enough to provide a pleasant climate to sit outside.

That being said, it was still a treat and we are very appreciative for the upgrade. :D

Have a great trip!

Don

Ditto!

Kareoke is always fun to watch in the back bar! But the piano bar seemed to be the hot spot on this cruise!

I am sure by the time we go in late November it will be a different entertainer in the piano bar. This seems to alwasys happen to us.

Does the pumpkin soup really taste like pumpkin?

The pumpkin soup was still being served on the Saept 21st sailing. I love it and no, it doesn't taste like pumkin to me, it's a very warm, creamy tasting soup that is a very comforting.

M

I was on the Sep. 30th Inspiration here are a couple of answers and thoughts:

1. They do have baked Alaska (as mentioned no flames for fire security)

2. There were 2 regular and 2 R comedy shows (Kenny Miller/Tony Esposito)

3. Gala Buffet was on Formal night (1st Sea Day)

4. Embarkation was great, got to the port at 1PM and was on te ship in my cabin by 1:30PM.

5. Disbarkation was a mob scene lots of people pushing and shoving, I think they should find a better solution for that process.

6. If you haven't been to XCARET, think about adding it to one of your future itineraries. I found it to be very relaxing and interesting at the same time (underground river, animals,plants, some ruins,dolphin swims available)

7. Tendering in Grand Cayman was a breeze.

8. If you haven't swam with the Stingrays, do it!!

Overall I had an awesome cruise on a clean ship with a great crew.

Just home from 10/9 sailing - we had a terrific time and loved this ship. I was concerned about the ship because we've always been on the larger ships (Destiny and Glory).

Some quick comments:

I don't remember Pumpkin Soup being served.

We made rookie mistakes! Shame on us.

Barry in the Piano Bar was a blast. Don't miss him.

Cozumel wasn't a very good stop. Maybe because there were 2 piers and we were at the one further from town. Flys were crazy on land and they invaded the ship in the afternoon. Filled a beer glass in minutes. The only way to keep them out of a beer was to keep your hand over the cup!

Food was excellent in the dining room. Pizza and deli were also very good. Pasta made to order (same noodle, choose your sauce) was the buffet highlight. We stayed away from the other buffet line in an attempt to not gain weight!

I'll write more later in the day or tomorrow and post as a seperate review.

Missing the ship very much today and stashing a 20 away to start a new cruise fund.

TJ

We will be on the Inspiration Oct 23-28. We have an 11:00 flight out of Tampa, do you think we will be able to make it? Will we be able to get off early?

You should return to Tampa in the early AM. I don't remember exactly what time because the noise woke me, but not enough to get out of bed and check the time. I'm guessing it was around 3 AM.

No problem if:

Prepay your return trip to the airport. You can't miss the stand and guy selling this as you enter the terminal. It's $9.00 PP and the van's are right outside the door ready to take you to the airport.

Carry off your luggage is the earliest / first disembarkion called after the ship clears customs. I think that was around 8 or just before 8AM.

After all carry off's are gone, there is a general boarding call. I think that this started around 9 AM. We didn't want the hassle of the long lines and crowd here and were going to wait a little while. BUT, after eating a very relaxing, unhurried breakfast in the dining room and calling home from the Lido Deck there was nothing else to do, so we headed towards the deck where you disembark. Just as we got there the line started moving. Once it started moving, it moved very smoothly. Our luggage was easily found (first time for that) and we moved through customs without any hesitation.

At the airport by 9:45 for a 1:45 flight! GO FOR THE EARLIER FLIGHT.

Have a blast, and tell Barry in the Piano Bar hello from Wendi and Jeff, Speed Racer and Trixie.

TJ

Archived