Any recent excursions to Jost VanDyke?

imsmilin

I would love to visit Jost VanDyke while on my Navigator cruise in January 2007. Am I after an impossible quest as I can't find many responses here on the board. I'm interested in knowing 1) Did RCCL include in any of their excursions 2) Did you hire a charter if so, do you remember the name? 3) Did you have plenty of time to make it back to the ship? 4) Was it worth it or did you wish you had done something closer to the port.

I really appreciate anyone who can help me decide if I'm spinning my wheels here!

Thank you!

Jost van Dyke is a haul from St. Thomas and from doing a little quick research on the web the ferry from St. Thomas to JVD only runs on Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

I think the ferry ride itself is a good hour and then add to that the time it takes you to get to and from the ferry. And, there's a little thing called "customs" :p that you'll have to go through when you go to and from Jost van Dyke.

Basically, this is a trip best reserved for a land-based vacation. :(

I have to agree with Linda, I think this trip would be best only if you were doing a land based vacation. We spent 10 days in the USVI in June and we did a day trip with Limnos to the BVI's and it was an all day trip from 8:00-4:30. Most of the charter boats make several stops, New Horizons II is another very popular charter that goes to the Baths, Marina Cay, Guana Island and JVD. There's also the option of renting your own powerboat, with or without a captain. That could be risky as a cruiseship passenger but you wouldn't be wasting time making the other stops that the charters do. But I've read stories of people spending $150-$250 in gas alone, not including the cost of the boat rental and the $100 fee for a captain if you opt to let someone else operate the boat so it could be expensive.

Archived