Meal menus

Kinkacruiser

:confused: Hi all,

A cruise friend told me recently that there are too many pasta meals.I have read about the Steakhouse and Pizza place as "good" places for a meal, but what are the menus like for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Is there much meat and seafood offered? Is there a choice of dishes, buffet, etc? What are the 5 course dinner like? Do they happen every night? Finally, will we miss the shows if we are booked into a 6pm sitting or do they repeat the shows for the earlybird diners?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Kinka

Hi kinkacruiser,

Okay, first things first, they do two performances of each show- one around 6:30pm and another between 8:30 - 10:30pm for the late-nighters, so from my experience (on the Sun), you wont miss a show.

As for the food, there is a decent mix of food. Every night, you will get a menu with a choice of appetisers like chowder, pumpkin soup, prawn cocktail, fruit cocktail, etc.

After this, you can choose from pasta or risotto or soup- most nights there was only a pasta dish, so I can understand why people have said there may be a lot of pasta, but what else do you really serve as an entree? Lol... Other dishes I remember was slices of smoked salmon with cream cheese, Spanish onion and mini toasts and there was risotto one night. The pasta is okay, but they tend to do creamy, pesto, al'aglio type of sauces which turned hubby off because he wants tomato based sauce or nothing. :rolleyes:

For mains, there was always chicken on the menu which is good because its the only meat we really eat. Hubby had the beef the few times it was on the menu and a few times he ordered from the vegetarian menu because there wasnt much that took his fancy on the menu. From memory we had at least one fish offering and one chicken offering per night, the others alternated between pork, lamb, veal and beef.

Also, you could always chicken grilled chicken breast with fries, broiled salmon and Caesar salad, despite whats on the menu.

For dessert, there was usually a choice of two or three items- Grand Marnier cake, strawberry crepes, creme brulee and chocolate souffle for example. Then every night there is always a cheese platter to choose from or fresh fruit slices, or fruit salad or ice-cream/sorbet. You dont have to order from every course and if you're not happy about whats on the menu, you can look at the vegetarian menu.

We never got up early enough for brekkie in the restaurant, but in the buffet, it was pancakes, hash browns, bacon, scrambled eggs with salmon and dill or just normal, breakfast sausages, grilled tomato, toast, croissants, cereals, etc.

Lunch in the buffet was different every day. There is a salad bar where you help yourself to all kinds of choppped vegies and dress your own salad or help yourself to a few pre-made salads to eat on their own or in a sandwich. There was crab salad, lots of great cold chicken salads, pasta salads, potato salads, etc.

There was a pasta and curry corner which was nice but the pasta was usually on the cold side.

The hot buffet included a pilaf almost every day and a hot chicken dish like chicken fricasse or something of that sort. There was noodles and paella and roasted vegies, a carvery of the day (the turkey was beautiful) and there was fries, wedges, soup, platters of smoked fish, a smoked cod bake, plates of ham, salami and mortadella, etc. Then to finish off there was lots of fruit and sweets for 'dessert'.

Afternoon tea was held around 3:30pm I think and it was just scones, mini sandwiches and rolls with roast beef and relish, tuna and cucumber, boconcini, tomato and pesto, etc. They were delish. There is tea and coffee, fruit cake, FRUIT SCONES YUM and all that sort of stuff.

There is no dinner buffet- its the restaurant or pizza/steakhouse/room service (which was really crap on the Sun).

Um, hope I have cleared some things up for you. Sorry, I rambled. :o

Thanks so much Tinalou for that wonderful account and going to all that trouble. My mouth watered all the way through it. You have made my hubby very happy indeed (but he was hoping for the odd plate of oysters).

Cheers,

Kinka

Definitely no oysters in sight on our cruise - a couple of prawn dishes though and escargot one night!!:eek: Tried them but didn't think much of them.

I think the Oysters are only on Pacific Sun as they get them for the Sushi/Oyster Bar located in the Gazebo Lounge.

Mmmmmmmm!!! That sounds great. Will definitely have to try and do a Sun cruise when she's sailing out of Brisbane.

Hi cruisers,, I have had oysters several times this year on the Sun.

The head waiter or Maitre de comes around to take orders for the following evening in the dining rooms. I think it was $6.00 for half a dozen , $12.00 a dozen. they were lovely. for freshness they are only on the first few nights. we also had prawns on special, but to me they were just ...so so.

regards, Lorraine:) :)

Definitely no oysters in sight on our cruise - a couple of prawn dishes though and escargot one night!!:eek: Tried them but didn't think much of them.

Overall the French menu is my least favourite of all the standard P&O menus. And no, I didn't try the escargot.:)

Pacific Star has prawn dishes, but they don't have the option of buying a serve of fresh cooked prawns as an entree - like they oysters that's resticted to Pacific Sun.

Love the garlic dressing on the snails. Have tried them three times now and I defintely don't like them.

I loved the escargots & would have had them every night had they been on the menu.

Karen

:confused: Hi all,

A cruise friend told me recently that there are too many pasta meals.I have read about the Steakhouse and Pizza place as "good" places for a meal, but what are the menus like for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Is there much meat and seafood offered? Is there a choice of dishes, buffet, etc? What are the 5 course dinner like? Do they happen every night? Finally, will we miss the shows if we are booked into a 6pm sitting or do they repeat the shows for the earlybird diners?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Kinka

When we went on the Sun the shows were 8.30 for first sitting diners and 10.30 for second sitting diners.

Archived