Cruise ships - How big is TOO big  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Cruise ships - How big is TOO big

• Cozy with 1500 or less
    • Comfortable with 1500 - 2100
    • Today's average 2500 - 3150
    • Pack'em in 3500 to 4900
    • Sky's the limit over 5000

It all depends on the passenger to space ratio to me. The Navigator was full on both of my cruises and never felt crowded. On the other hand, the Glory did. It all depends on how many passengers the cruise line is going to place on a ship.

Totally agree. At first I didn't think I'd want to go on the Freedom of the Seas. Just too big, too many people, too crowded. However, after reading many reviews of the ship and not hearing any complaints about crowding I'm now dreaming of getting on that ship!

It's all in how the ship is set up and ratio. The Glory was dreadful and the Explorer of the Seas was heaven comparing crowding, even though I think Explorer holds more pax than Glory.

Totally agree. At first I didn't think I'd want to go on the Freedom of the Seas. Just too big' date=' too many people, too crowded. However, after reading many reviews of the ship and not hearing any complaints about crowding I'm now dreaming of getting on that ship!

It's all in how the ship is set up and ratio. The Glory was dreadful and the Explorer of the Seas was heaven comparing crowding, even though I think Explorer holds more pax than Glory.[/quote']

Actually not much more

Explorer - 138,000 tons - 3114 passengers = 44.0 passenger to space ratio.

Glory - 110,000 tons - 2974 passengers = 37.0 passenger to space ratio.

A difference of only 140 passengers on a much larger ship. That is why it does not feel that crowded. So again IMHO the cruise lines can build them larger as long as they keep the PTSR correct.

Well I would like to hear from someone who has been on Royal's Freedom of the Seas. Isn't that the Largest passenger carrying ship:confused: (say's max capacity 4,370)

I have heard unconfirmed reports that the first activity following the muster drill on Freedom of the Seas is the election of a mayor and city council. Any truth to that ?

My favorite ship is Holiday. Love the size. Never a crowd for any event and lots of room to roam around.

It does not matter how many people it holds, what matters is the sq ft per passenger available, even a small ship can feel crowded and a big ship feel empty.

They just have to have the proper number of clubs, restaurants, theaters etc so that everyone can be accomodated comfortably.

They also have to have the facilities to embark and debark efficiently and with all that taken care of who cares how many people are on board.

I've been on Voyager of the Seas and Dawn Princess. I enjoyed both but there were a few cool days on the Voyager and the Promenade was packed, like Wal-Mart on black Friday. I could have done with about 1,500 less fellow passengers those days. When things are flowing well(nice weather, all venues open ect..), there seems to be plenty to do so it never feels too crowded.

Archived