April 28th cruise

pipster37

Hi Pipster, there's quite a few people on our cruise. Please go to Oceania Roll Calls and see who's all there.

We are staying on in Venice and have booked at Ca' Gottardi, a b and b which is in the Cannaregio district and a little off the beaten path. I booked this place as it is right near the #1 Vaparetto stop Ca d'Oro and is a short walk to the airport water bus.

I would suggest thinking about what you want in a hotel/inn and maybe doing a little research on tripadvisor.com on the better rated places. Guidebooks may have some suggestions as well, and hopefully some other cruisers will post their ideas here. Looking forward to meeting you on our cruise!

Hi Sweeterpea, Thank you for the reply. We will only be staying on 1 day longer, so we are looking for a hotel that is convienent when we embark. Is the Cannaregio area near that? Have you been to Ca Gottardi? We are looking to spend between 200-250, I care more that the hotel is clean and in a nice area. Did someone recommend the hotel to you? Thank you for your help. Looking foward to meeting you.

Do you mean disembark? You sort of have to look at what you want and how adventurous you want to be. It sounds like you want just a clean room with no fuss no muss, am I right? From what I have heard from others, one has to schlep luggage over stairs and bridges, etc. so if you are not able-bodied I wouldn't stay in Venice proper.

We are staying 2 more nights, so wanted to be immersed in the Venetian atmosphere so opted to stay in town. I was highly recommended to stay IN Venice by others who have been there. We have not been to Venice before and found Ca' Gottardi on the internet, via tripadvisor.com It is owned by an ex-gondalier and is located on a secondary canal, plus they speak excellent english (we wanted to play it a little safe as it's our first trip to Italy) The Cannaregio district is otherwise known as the old Jewish Ghetto, and is a fair ways from the St. Mark's area, so from what I see in your posting it may not be for you.

I once did look into hotels in Mestre (suburb just outside of Venice), and the Best Western Bologna Mestre Station comes highly recommended. It is across the street from the train station and Venice is about a 15 minute train ride away. Looks like it's in your budget as well. From my research here on Cruise Critic, there will be cabs waiting outside the terminal, so you could easily take one to Mestre. On leaving Venice, it would be easy to cab it to the airport. I also found this website has helpful info:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels.htm

Good luck!

...hi pipster37, imagineer here...

...as sweeterpea mentions, there are quite a few of us on the Oceania board who are going on the April 28th trip...

...we are staying three additional nights in Venice after disembarkation, we found a hotel that our TA recommended, she's stayed there and speaks quite highly of it. Here is their web address: http://www.hotelplazavenice.com/

...check it out and see what you think...

cheers,

the Imagineers

NCL cruise on the Wind - Aug 27/06, it was great, I'll miss the Wind.

upcoming Oceania cruise on the Insignia - Apr 28/07

Thanks to Imagineer and Sweeterpea for all of your suggestions. Both hotels look wonderful. Imagineer at your hotel how do you get to the center of Venice from there? I assume getting to the airport from this hotel would be the easiest. Sweeterpea your hotel looks like it is in a very interesting place, how do you get to the airport from there? I appreciate your help and will look for both of you on the cruise. Pippi

Hi Pipster:

The Best Western in Mestre is located very close to the airport bus so you can take that to the airport or take a cab. The bus is a bargain at 3 euros pp

Another thing to consider when staying in Venice is that many streets are not marked, so it's easy to get turned around and lost. Not so much fun when you're trying to find a hotel!

As for our B and B, it is in a very interesting district, indeed. Ca Gottardi is very close to the #1 Vaporetto stop Ca D'Oro, and I was given very clear and easy instructions by the owner on how to get there. It is also very close to a supermarket, so it's convenient to buy some inexpensive food and snacks as well. I think it may be over your budget, you can check out the website:

http://www.cagottardi.com/en/

To get to the airport can either take the vaporetto #1 to Piazzale Roma (which is near port where you disembark), and then the airport bus, or you can take a short walk from the B and B to the airport water bus which is located on Fondanetta Nuove. Of course there's always a water taxi, which the owner quoted to me at 80 euros.

Hi again pipster,

...the Hotel Plaza is in Mestre, the mainland part of Venice if you want to consider it that way. I copied the info from the Hotel's website as to how to get to and from Venice and the airport, here you go:

How to reach us

By train. Directly opposite the hotel, Mestre’s railway station offers frequent connections to and from Venice. All trains arriving from Rome, Milan, Bologna and the Brenner Pass and directed to Venice, Treviso and Trieste stop at Mestre station.

By car. Hotel Plaza is reached from Mestre’s Bypass system (Tangenziale) which connects the motorway exits for Padova, Vicenza, Treviso, Belluno, Trieste and Milano to the town of Mestre.

By Plane. Marco Polo International airport is situated only 8 km (5 miles) from Hotel Plaza. The hotel is happy to arrange, on request, private transport to and from the airport for the hotel guests. The hotel may also be reached by taxi or by taking the public bus service (Bus number 15 – the bus stop is only a few steps from the hotel).

...hope that helps you out pipster...

...boy sweeterpea, I took a look at the site for the Ca Gottardi, purretty nice! A little more than what we want to spend for a hotel, but it looks like you'll definitely enjoy fine surroundings...

cheers,

the Imagineers

NCL cruise on the Wind - Aug 27/06, it was great, I'll miss the Wind.

upcoming Oceania cruise on the Insignia - Apr 28/07

Archived