which is the Best excursion in Peuro Limon?

flyingandcruising

I will be in Peurto Limon either Feb or March (havent booked the cruise yet). and am wondering what everyone suggests is the best excursion. I enjoy old buildings, history, snorkling, animals, scenery. those kinds of things. I want to try the zipplining tour, but ive heard that its a pain to wait for everyone, and that the tour is half wasted with waiting for everyone to go on the zipline.....is that true?

thanks to all that reply, happy cruising:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I will be in Peurto Limon either Feb or March (havent booked the cruise yet). and am wondering what everyone suggests is the best excursion. I enjoy old buildings, history, snorkling, animals, scenery. those kinds of things. I want to try the zipplining tour, but ive heard that its a pain to wait for everyone, and that the tour is half wasted with waiting for everyone to go on the zipline.....is that true?

Just back from our cruise. We did not book through the ship. Look for the Red Tent at the Pier, Union de Transportistas del Caribe. Great deal for transportation and tour of city. Went to Brisas de la Jungla for zip line ($40 per person) only 20 minutes away. We had our own private van for six, a driver and a tour guide (Richard & Reynaldo). We did not have to wait long on the zip lining, there were only six of us. Believe it depends just how many people are currently there. It was great!! Great tour of the area with so much information from our guide Richard. You could tell him what you want to see. We ended up at the beach and shared a great lunch. Bit of shopping at the port area. Our best day of the cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking at the Rain Forest tour. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about that?

Earlier this year, I did the Boat, Bus and Train through the rain forest. We also visited a banana plantation which I found fascinating. The best part of the tour was the "green" train which by the way is blue. We saw monkeys, birds, and sloths.

We have done:

The Rain Forest Tour-this is a long bus ride but the scenary was great and the tour guide was very knowledgable and worked the whole time to keep us entertained....the tour in the gondolas...the tour guide (different one) was great......and the tour/food was interesting...we did enjoy.

Crazy Monkey Zipline-no waiting...they harness you...teach you....zip you...13 zips....and back home....about a 2 hour bus ride....again the tour guides were great and scenary was great. Enjoyed both.

Lou

Thot, I really want to take a lot of pictures, is that possible during that (train)tour?

Yes you can take photos, but one must be quick and attentive. The little creatures seem to be unwilling to pose for me. My camera was malfunctioning to the point of being slow. I got some photos of blurry fur.

We were very pleased with the Sweetest Rain Forest excursion that took us to the Tirimbina Rainforest Center. An air-conditioned bus made the 3 hour trip but the tour guide (Maria) who is a biology teacher made it seem much shorter with her interesting commentary. After touring the rain forest with the Tirimbina tour guide, we were treated to an authentic Costa Rican lunch. The tour included a visit to a cacao plantation where it was a hands-on demonstration of how cacao beans are transformed into chocolate. The return ride gave us time for a quick nap and shopping at the pier flea market. It was gratifying to know that our money spent for the tour was going to a non-profit agency preserving the important rainforests of Costa Rica.

I want to try the zipplining tour, but ive heard that its a pain to wait for everyone, and that the tour is half wasted with waiting for everyone to go on the zipline.....is that true?

I can tell you that it's true from first hand experience. My DH and I did the zipline and on the 5th or 6th line he got stuck in the middle and it took 45 minutes for them to get him to the platform. Needless to say, everyone behind us were stuck waiting for that entire time. I would not recommend anyone doing this excursion if they are afraid of heights like he is.

Can anyone tell me if the train cars are enclosed/covered or open air. Are they air conditioned? How comfortable is the ride. Any further details would be most appreciated. We're trying to decide between the RCCL Train, Boat & Bus Adventure and the Tortuguero Canal tour.

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if the train cars are enclosed/covered or open air. Are they air conditioned? How comfortable is the ride. Any further details would be most appreciated. We're trying to decide between the RCCL Train, Boat & Bus Adventure and the Tortuguero Canal tour.

Thanks!

The train coaches were built back in the late 1800's according to our guide and they looked it. Train coaches are what you see in an old west movie. The only "air conditioning" comes from leaving the windows down and everyone does so it is a comfortable breezy ride. There is a rest room on each coach. There are roofs on each car. The seats are wood. Think of a train in an old cowboy movie set.

You ride the train in one direction and take a bus ride in the other direction. In our case we rode from the ship to the end of the line and bussed back to the ship. The group that rode the train after us bussed to the end of the line and rode the train back to the ship.

We enjoyed it and expect that you will also.

On our day in Puerto Limon, 6 of us hired the services of Marshall Scott (506-384-7719)

, who owns his own tour van, Strictly Business. He charged us each $55 for a full day of touring. It included a 1 1/2 hour boat ride on the Tortuga Canal, a city tour, lunch, a trip to the highest point of the city, a stop at a fruit stand to try local fruits, a banana plantation and a 45 minute ride to Cahuica National Park, where there is hiking and a not so inviting beach (no chairs or facilities). However, you can arrange with Marshall in advance for whatever sites you want and he will do his best to accommodate you. He's pleasant, prompt, reliable, fluent in English, and provides soda, water and beer in his air conditioned van. My friends and I booked him through his e-mail and we were very satisfied. I had found him through a board on independent traveler.com. His e-mail is: eventosinternacionalessb@yahoo.com.mx

Edie:o

• 2 months later...
We were very pleased with the Sweetest Rain Forest excursion that took us to the Tirimbina Rainforest Center. An air-conditioned bus made the 3 hour trip but the tour guide (Maria) who is a biology teacher made it seem much shorter with her interesting commentary. After touring the rain forest with the Tirimbina tour guide, we were treated to an authentic Costa Rican lunch. The tour included a visit to a cacao plantation where it was a hands-on demonstration of how cacao beans are transformed into chocolate. The return ride gave us time for a quick nap and shopping at the pier flea market. It was gratifying to know that our money spent for the tour was going to a non-profit agency preserving the important rainforests of Costa Rica.

do you have a email address or website? IT sounds GREAT

On our day in Puerto Limon, 6 of us hired the services of Marshall Scott (506-384-7719)

, who owns his own tour van, Strictly Business. He charged us each $55 for a full day of touring. It included a 1 1/2 hour boat ride on the Tortuga Canal, a city tour, lunch, a trip to the highest point of the city, a stop at a fruit stand to try local fruits, a banana plantation and a 45 minute ride to Cahuica National Park, where there is hiking and a not so inviting beach (no chairs or facilities). However, you can arrange with Marshall in advance for whatever sites you want and he will do his best to accommodate you. He's pleasant, prompt, reliable, fluent in English, and provides soda, water and beer in his air conditioned van. My friends and I booked him through his e-mail and we were very satisfied. I had found him through a board on independent traveler.com. His e-mail is: eventosinternacionalessb@yahoo.com.mx

Edie:o

Thanks, I just sent him an email.

I'd like to put in a good word for Oscar Brown Tours -- we came off RCCL Brilliance last week and had a wonderful tour with Oscar; banana plantation and Tortuguera Canals. Saw lots of monkeys, sloths, birds and fauna. He was exceptionally knowledgeable, stopped anytime we wanted a "Kodak" moment, and gave us personalized attention. Booking was simple and we were not pressured for payment (gave him fee and tip at the end of the tour). These boards are wonderful and I've never been steered wrong (guess we've been lucky). I am very happy to recommend someone when they've met or exceeded our expectations, as in this case. Personally, I prefer booking with locals. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy cruising.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'd like to put in a good word for Oscar Brown Tours -- we came off RCCL Brilliance last week and had a wonderful tour with Oscar; banana plantation and Tortuguera Canals. Saw lots of monkeys, sloths, birds and fauna. He was exceptionally knowledgeable, stopped anytime we wanted a "Kodak" moment, and gave us personalized attention. Booking was simple and we were not pressured for payment (gave him fee and tip at the end of the tour). These boards are wonderful and I've never been steered wrong (guess we've been lucky). I am very happy to recommend someone when they've met or exceeded our expectations, as in this case. Personally, I prefer booking with locals. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy cruising.

I have a tour booked with him in June. ANy info how it went would be great!! Thanks

Archived