Food for a toddler - Rhapsody

kbknepp

We are going to be traveling with our three-year-old on Rhapsody and I'm wondering about food for him. I know they offer a children's menu, but those of you with little ones know how picky they can be. Right now he lives on fruit, yogurt, and grilled cheese. My question: can you order special items that are not on the childrens or adult menu? I don't want to be a pain to our waiter and the kitchen staff.

We traveled with a 2 and 4 year old a couple of years ago. They always had a fruit plate! Also....the best thing was the small boxes of cereal in the windjammer in the morning. We would take about 7 boxes and our toddler would snack on them throughout the day. We would even bring them to dinner as a back up!

The kids menu always had a grilled cheese too!

Our 3 year old granddaughter was with us in July. Dinner was always a bit of an adventure but the waiters were very good at trying to find something that she would eat. If there is a particular fruit that your toddler likes you can ask that the fruit plate be heavy in that variety...for us it was grapes.

We cruised with a 2 year old in August, and the waiters went out of their way to make sure she was happy. The children's menu pretty much took care of anything she would have wanted, but at lunch one day, she wanted mac and cheese which wasn't on the menu that particular day, and the waiter asked the chef if it could be made special for her--we didn't ask if it could--it was the waiter's idea. The chef had no problem with fixing it for her and just explained that it would take a little bit to cook it--was that okay with us, which it was. The waiter then brought her a fruit plate so she would have something to work on until the mac and cheese got there.

Grapes were very popular with this 2 year old also! Happy cruising!

We went on the Navigator with our 2 year old son and the waiters went out of their way to bring whatever they thought he would eat. He was going through a shrimp phase and our waiter brought him a shrimp cocktail every night and would bring a plate of chocolate cookies for us to take back to our stateroom. We had a wonderful time because everyone was so kind and accommodating of our little guy.

You'll have a great time and you'll find that you'll have no problems finding things your little one will eat. Just don't run out of diapers - or pull ups- they are VERY difficult to find in the Caribbean ;)

Ugh, I cruised with my sixteen year old. Talk about picky. He's 22 and engaged now. It's her problem now, not mine!

LOL! Can't you just wait until he has kids and he gets his rewards for putting you through that?

We are going to be traveling with our three-year-old on Rhapsody and I'm wondering about food for him. I know they offer a children's menu, but those of you with little ones know how picky they can be. Right now he lives on fruit, yogurt, and grilled cheese. My question: can you order special items that are not on the childrens or adult menu? I don't want to be a pain to our waiter and the kitchen staff.

I can assure you that the wait staff and kitchen staff will accommodate your 3-yr old. We've been on the Rhapsody 6x's. What a great ship! Our grandson has been cruising since he was 22 mos. old and he is a picky eater, but has never gone hungry. There is always chicken strips, grilled cheese, fresh cooked veggies, fruit plates, yogurt, cereals (cold & hot), grits, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, french fries, the list goes on & on.

Enjoy your cruise...I wish I were going back on the Rhapsody. But next up is the Mariner.

I just got off the Rhapsody and I can tell you that the grill in the solarium offers hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, salads and soups as well as an occassional other dish, like lasagna, throughout much of the day, even when the Windjammer was not offering food. I suspect that you could probably order that through room service, even if it is not on the room service menu. Just ask. The have fresh apples that they could probably make into applesauce, and bananas, melons, figs and prunes. The cheese plates come with a variety of cheeses and crackers. I don't know if they have peanut butter on the ship but it would not take up much room to pack a small plastic jar of it. There will be plenty of jams and honey to go with it or mash bananas with it for a peanut butter banana sandwich.

The adult menu sometimes has rice and risotto, and for breakfast oatmeal, grits, pancakes, french toast and eggs to order in the dining room, scrambled or premade omelets in the Windjammer.

I think you will find plenty of food for your little one.

I don't know if they have peanut butter on the ship but it would not take up much room to pack a small plastic jar of it.

They do, in little containers like the ones the cream cheese comes in. It's kind of like the soymilk, elusive, and you often have to ask for it.

The kids menu is pretty basic from what I gather?? Good thing the entree's on the ships are fairly small because my 2 year old does not eat anything off the kids menu, well besides mac n cheese. She is a filet and vege kind of gal.

Your child does not have to order off the kids menu, she can have adult meals as well :) . My daughter was the same, I could never get her to eat spaghetti, but she would eat halibut, salmon or ahi tuna!

My son, even at age 9, would order escargot, shrimp cocktail and the specialty soups.

Archived