I've wanted to go to Barbados my whole life.....

xraygirl

.....and now that I'm going to get to spend a day there I CANNOT figure out what to do. :confused:

I'm travelling with my 3 kids, ages 13, 10 and 6. What I want is a morning tour of the island...some history...stops for photos, and then a beach in the afternoon....without spending $75 apiece.

I either can't find what I want or the cost is too high. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best see the island under budget restrictions?

“I'm travelling with my 3 kids, ages 13, 10 and 6. What I want is a morning tour of the island...some history...stops for photos, and then a beach in the afternoon....without spending $75 apiece.”

You can pretty much circle the island on the bus for US$3.00 for all of you, but I doubt that would be an option with the children.

However, a four hour taxi tour would cost about US$100 + tip, or US$25 each. You could see a great deal of the island, especially our East Coast and have the driver drop you off at a West Coast beach, perhaps The Boatyard, where the kids could play on the water toys. You would only be 5-10 minutes away from the dock and you could taxi back when you’re ready or take the shuttle for a buck each.

You could hit the Wildlife Reserve on your way back to the West Coast. You’d probably be a little early to see the Green Monkeys, but there are lots of other critters there the kids would enjoy.

My best wishes that Barbados is all that you hoped it would be. :)

Thank you for your reply. :) It's so hard to plan 8 hours when I really want to see everything.

Is there any specific company/driver, or can I just do that from the pier?

I had considered The Boatyard. I know the kids would enjoy it but it seems so commercial. These are the kids who picked Barbados over DisneyWorld........lol

I would just select a driver that you like when you get there. You have a good chance of getting a good one if you talk a little to them first.

Just agree upon the total time, where you will go and the total cost in US dollars before you get in the cab.

I'm with you on the commercial aspect of The Boatyard, but I was thinking about the kids. All beaches are free in Barbados. You can certainly go to any of them, including The Boatyard without paying....just can't use their stuff, yes?

I had forgotten just how expensive it was to travel with the children. Blink and you've spent US$300!

Even if you were willing to spend US$3-400, you wouldn't be able to even see 1/5 of what Barbados has to offer in eight hours. The island is small, but we have many, many things to do and see. Even after 14 years, I still see and learn something new every year!

Just go and get your feet wet...don't try and see it all in one day. Then please return for a longer visit.

Perhaps someday you'll be like my wife and I.....we don't return for a visit, we come home. ;)

or check out www.scenicbarbados.com

We did our private tour with Cameron last November.... it worked out to $37.50 per person for 5-1/2 hrs. and he took us all around the island....

He knows everything about Barbados.... we bombarded him with questions and he knew the answers.... history, cultural, personal etc........

He will customize your tour to fit your needs and interests......

I highly recommend him.

Which route did you do with Cameron? He told me our options were scenic, historic, garden and rum distillery. I emailed him to ask him what was on each tour, and all he said was that all he tours other than scenic have admission that would be extra. But he still didn't give me specifics.....lol :p

xray: I guess maybe ours would have been considered the Scenic.....

We had no desire to go to the tourist places..... Harrison Caves (not even sure if they are still open) the botanical gardens (altho we drove by) or any of the other sites that have admission.... we really wanted to see as much of the island as we could (it's not easy in one day :) ) have a really good bajan lunch and learn about Barbados and their people.....

Cameron took us in a big circle..... thru some areas of Bridgetown, then out into the country and over to the east coast to St. John church, then to Bathsheba (gorgeous beaches with big big rocks) working our way up to the north along the coast to Cherry Hill Drive, then over to Speightstown for lunch and then back down the west coast to Folkstone (were going to do a snorkle here but too windy and big waves) then down to pier. He would stop anywhere we asked for pics and I got some that look like postcards !!!! He also gave us sooo much information on everything that is Bajan !! Cultural info, historical info, and much much more....

We just told him we didnt want to do the regular tourist stuff but did want to see his island and learn about it and its people and we left it in his hands. We really enjoyed our day.

I had bought a book about Barbados for $2.00 at a local store called "Half Price Books" and it had a wonderful map and lots of information in it....

Cameron also gave us a map that he had marked with our route so we would know where we had been ....

ps: We drove by the rum distillery.... sorry that is not my idea of what I want to do with my day on a beautiful Caribbean island...

What he means is that on the historic, garden or rum tours there is an admission charge to places that is not included in the tour price.... but these were places that we did not want to go.... opting instead to drive around more and see more of the island.

Ask him if he will do this tour for you.....he did for us.....

Texan......thank you! :)

That's what I want too....

I want to see the island in ways most cruise passengers don't. This is a place I've been fascinated with for a long time. The kids and I are going to compromise...the tour I want in the morning for the Boatyard they want in the afternoon.

We've booked these private tours on other islands and it's worked out very well. We'll be visiting Sunny Liston for the 2nd time on St. Thomas....the trip wouldn't seem complete without him. :p

Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Meg

Archived