Help? Best way to Diamond Head from Aloha Pier

SissyG

We are arriving at Aloha Pier on the Sapphire Princess as one of the stops on a 30 day cruise and would like to hike Diamond Head. Princess offers this as a tour but we would prefer to do it on our own. Can anyone suggest how we could get there? We really don't want to rent a car, but would prefer other transportation. Thanks, Sissy

It seems to me that if you are not renting a car you can

a) take a cab - but the cost might just add up to a tour.

b) take the bus - http://www.thebus.org (looks like bus #58?)

c) call a tour operator and see if they will pick up at the pier (ex: http://www.oahunaturetours.com/adv-diamondhead.html )

Now about climbing Diamond Head. It is best to climb it very early in the morning. The sun is SCORTCHING over there. A simple Google search of Diamond Head Crater will give you lots of tour advise and pictures.

We hiked up Diamond Head in June during our pre-cruise stay in Honolulu. We took the bus to get there from our hotel which was about mid-way between the cruise port and Diamond Head. It was convenient and inexpensive. Adult fare is 2.00 and children are 1.00 (I think) one way. The only draw backs were it was extremely crowded and the bus drops you off a long way from the entrance. I think it was more than a mile and you have to walk through a very busy car tunnel with no sidewalk for pedestrians. On the way back we got a cab(limo) right outside of the entrance for 20.00 for all 6 of us. Again, the distance was about half of what your distance would be back to the port so it would probably cost you more. There were not any car rental agencies available at the pier that I could see. We had to wait over an hour at the port after our cruise for our car rental shuttle to arrive, so I doubt you would want to use that option when time is limited. I think your best option would be a taxi, as it is the most convenient but still economical. I hope you have a great cruise.

Archived