Questions On Ship Board Account

TIMELMAN

Our trip is in 10 days and my wife is concered because we will only have about 1000 left on our credit card and they say they wiil charge 60 dallors per day per person x4 = 1600. As i stated before this is caused by a job lose but trip paid for. i think we sould be alright if we dont buy a lot of extras. Any information would be heilpful? will this be alright with holland american?

HAL will authorize an amount preported to be $60pp pd. Depending on the type of card you have if your credit limit is overreached your CC company may allow the overage and charge you a fee for doing so. This is something you can check yourself by calling your CC company and advising them of the charges that will be presented.

60 dallors per day per person x4 = 1600

60 x 10 x 4 = $2400 You could opt out of the Autotip and save $400. You could try to get the credit card company to up your limit. Got a friend/family member that could pay some off your card really quick?

Good luck.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

You could also, if you have the cash available, make extra payments into your credit card so you will have a credit on there before you sail. Also, you can check your account daily to see what you are spending.

I believe OP is concerned that his credit card company will not approve this amount. Perhaps you can ask HAL to authorize a smaller amount? I feel your pain. It has taken us a while to get out of the same type of situation. You'll be fine; keep the faith!

Holland America Line will absolutely not charge $60.00 per day to your credit card. LAKNARF explained it so much better than I can so check his/her post. HAL cannot charge your credit card for something you didn't purchase, it's simply an authorization to charge should you spend anything extra while aboard ship. However, there will be a charge of $20.00 per day which is the autotip ($10.00 per person per day). Assuming that you don't spend anything else per day then you should be fine.

Please be aware of the fact though that if you should buy sodas or drinks, for example, then they will be charged to your account and will come with a 15% automatic tip added. Coffee and Tea are available 24 hours a day at no extra cost. You can also ask your Dining Room Steward for a cappucino or two after dinner at no extra cost. Also included in your cruise at no extra cost are the shows in the Showroom, also movies in the Movie Theatre (popcorn also free).

I hope that you have a truly wonderful cruise. I know what it is like to have to watch your pennies - been there and done that - but it is possible to have a great time aboard ship without actually having to spend a dime (other than the autotip): lovely accomodations, beautiful surroundings, free entertainment, friendly staff, good food and exotic ports to visit. Honestly who could ask for anything more?

Have a sensational cruise.

Valerie:)

60 x 10 x 4 = $2400 You could opt out of the Autotip and save $400. You could try to get the credit card company to up your limit. Got a friend/family member that could pay some off your card really quick?

Good luck.

I cannot believe that you are honestly suggesting that someone opt out of the Autotip. In case you are not aware of the fact: all those Stewards, Bar staff, kitchen staff, cooks and bakers, laundry workers, etc. aboard ship who are working so hard to make sure that your cruise is everything that you hope it will be are not lucky enough to be working under U.S. Law (as in minimum wage).

I know that it is totally unfair that we, the passengers aboard cruise ships, should have to supplement their wages but sadly that is the way it is - the cruiselines do not operate under U.S. law as far as wages go. The amount of money that these wonderful people make is way, way less than we can expect to make here in the U.S. and our Autotip, which is divided up amongst a lot of people on the ship, makes a huge difference in their lives and the lives of their families back home.

Please think about leaving the Autotip in place - when you stop to think about it it really is very little money for the service you get - Heaven knows that you would pay a whole lot more in the way of tips here in the U.S. for the same kind of excellent service.

Holland America Line will absolutely not charge $60.00 per day to your credit card. LAKNARF explained it so much better than I can so check his/her post. HAL cannot charge your credit card for something you didn't purchase, it's simply an authorization to charge should you spend anything extra while aboard ship.

Hi Valerie,

I think the OP's major concern is that his company wont authorize the amount even if it's not spent. If he only has $1k available, the cc company will not authorize $1600.

60 x 10 x 4 = $2400

jtl513, the cruise is 10 days away....the OP never mentioned the length of his cruise on this thread :)

Timelman - You should probably give your credit card company a ring to give them a heads up to expect the HAL authorizations & actual final charge at the end of your cruise, especially since you are so close to the limit. If you do use the card in any ports, you want the CC company to be aware that it is YOU using the card & that the charge is authorized & the card hasn't been nicked.

Any time we travel out of the country we call the credit cards to let them know. It's just one of those "checklist" things we have. :)

I guess the larger question you should ask yourself is " Can I really afford this vacation?" I am not trying to be funny here, but if you think that $1600 will max out your credit cards, I would take a hard look at what you are doing? What are you going to do if your car needs a repair or your home's HAVC?

I have cruised before and never had to worry about this i would just put cash down on board . They only charge me for what i spent+ tips. i was just concered because this card is just for this trip. i still get paid while off work just not as much and they are 3 weeks behind which has ate up my cash reserves. I am wondering why if i stay on my 1000 buget why they would need to authorise 1560. my trip is already paid for and would lose to much not to go.

Timelman - The amount of the pre-authorization (and changing it :rolleyes: ) has been discussed a few times. You might try searching under "shipboard account." :)

If you go to the Front Office the next day instead of handing over your CC at check-in, you should be able to arrange a different amount than the $60pppd pre-auth. Try it. It certainly can't hurt to ask. You could also tell the Front Desk that the total limit for the cruise is $1,000 instead of a per day figure. That might be better. That's what I would do. Let the FO know I only have $xxx to spend for the entire voyage & not worry about the per day $$.

I remember your thread about your job loss & am glad you decided to do this. Have a wonderful cruise. :)

We were in the same boat(no pun intended) 2 years ago. We had fully paid for our cruise and flights and my husband lost his job. We went anyway and walked off the ship with only a $93.00 bill(we had $150.00 in room credits). Even without the credits it would have only been $243.Anyway to make a long story short we have the time of our lives. There is so many free things to do I'm sure you will have a great time. Enjoy I'm sure everything will work out.

Dear Timelman:

Sorry you're having a temporary cash flow problem. As Violette123 said, most of us have "been there, done that". But the memories from a trip like the one you're about to embark on cannot be erased or repossessed. Ever. Call the credit card company and work something out. Enjoy your cruise. Relax, re-group and look forward to much better times that await you just around the bend.

Best of luck,

Christy

Archived