Brisbane to GBReef

nansi

Can any of the Australians help with this question?

Our cruise ends in Brisbane, but we'd like to get up to Cairns to snorkel the GBR for a couple of days, and then return to Brisbane for our flight back to the U.S.

Given the time element (driving a car is out), what would be the least expensive way to do this trip? What are the cheapest airlines, or are there any "packages" out of Brisbane that include airfare, hotel, etc. to the GBR?

We'll be in Brisbane around the 4th of December, 2007, and we're hoping to be out of your country before school lets out :cool:

Any info would greatly be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Hi Nancy,

Your best bet is to fly.

Either Qantas or Virgin Blue:

www.virginblue.com.au

www.qantas.com.au

If you book in advance, you should be able to get a good deal. Cairns is nice, but Pt Douglas much nicer, or even Palm Cove, both an easy drive from Cairns.

Early December is 'low' season, so accommodation should be cheap and easy to find, even if you want to wing it when you arrive.

One bummer of being their in the 'wet', is that you can't swim at the beaches. (very deadly jellyfish) - the reef is fine, though. So make sure your accom. has a pool.

If you hire a car, make sure you take a sidetrip to Mossman Gorge. Beautiful rain forest walk and refreshing swim in crocodile free mountain river - not to be missed.

Regards,

Steve.

I had a feeling it would be flying, and thanks for the airline info.

When you say "wets" are you referring to what we call "rainy season" here in Florida?

And what's this about the jellyfish??? This doesn't sound like anything I'd be interested in snorkeling with. Could you elaborate on this a bit? Are these the deadly box jellyfish?:eek:

Nancy, the most dangerous marine stingers found in Queensland waters are the Box Jellyfish and Irukandji Jellyfish. A sting can be fatal.

All Queensland beaches north of Town of Seventeen Seventy (near Gladstone) can attract the marine stingers during the summer months of the year. From Cape York to Townsville October to June.

If you want to make a snorkel trip they have Lycra Suits available for hire which (they said) is a preventative for jelly fish stings.

I had a feeling it would be flying, and thanks for the airline info.

When you say "wets" are you referring to what we call "rainy season" here in Florida?

And what's this about the jellyfish??? This doesn't sound like anything I'd be interested in snorkeling with. Could you elaborate on this a bit? Are these the deadly box jellyfish?:eek:

Hi Nancy,

Australian vernacular for our tropical regions which pretty much have two seasons, wet and dry.

Australians will call these seasons 'the wet' or 'the dry'.

eg "We're going to be in Cairns during the wet".

Cairns gets most of it's rain from December to March.

The marine stinger season is from October to April, so no beach swimming in December. It is safe to swim during the excursions to the reef - take advice from your tour operator.

Some of the beaches are netted to stop the stingers. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance - read the signs on the beach.

We Australians tend to visit the GBR and FNQ (far north Queensland) from May till September, when the weather is dry, there's low humidity and no stingers!

If it's beaches you want, there are many fantasic ones just north and south of Brisbane.

The Sunshine coast, north of Brisbane, is my favourite.

Beautiful sandy beaches, many with surf, and wonderful resorts. Check out 'Noosa' and 'Coolum' to get you started. (no stingers this far south)

Don't let this put you off. You can still enjoy a visit to Cairns and the reef in December - Better to know the facts, though.

Regards,

Steve

Virgin Blue is the way to go. I agree with the poster who suggested Palm Cove or Port Douglas. Cairns is more of a city, PC and PD are resort towns. You can take almost any excursion to GBR, Kuranda, Daintree, etc. from PC or PD and there are really lovely beaches.

The marine stinger season is from October to April, so no beach swimming in December. It is safe to swim during the excursions to the reef - take advice from your tour operator. Some of the beaches are netted to stop the stingers. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance - read the signs on the beach.

We Australians tend to visit the GBR and FNQ (far north Queensland) from May till September, when the weather is dry, there's low humidity and no stingers!

If it's beaches you want, there are many fantasic ones just north and south of Brisbane.The Sunshine coast, north of Brisbane, is my favourite.

Beautiful sandy beaches, many with surf, and wonderful resorts. Check out 'Noosa' and 'Coolum' to get you started. (no stingers this far south)

Don't let this put you off. You can still enjoy a visit to Cairns and the reef in December - Better to know the facts, though.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for the in depth explanation Steve. We are seriously re-thinking our desire to do a GBR side trip. After the freaky accident that Steve Irwin had, not to mention all the programs on TV about those deadly jellies, I think we'll stick to visiting the safer areas. I have a cousin in Brisbane who wants to show us the lovely beaches in that area, so I think we'll spend more time with him and save the expense of flying up and back from GBR.

Speaking of Steve Irwin, we'd also like to see his Australia Zoo, which we understand is about an hour north of Brisbane. Have you been there, and is it worth taking the time to see it?

Thanks again for your help,

Speaking of Steve Irwin, we'd also like to see his Australia Zoo, which we understand is about an hour north of Brisbane. Have you been there, and is it worth taking the time to see it?

Thanks again for your help,

Nancy,

Sorry, I haven't been up that way for a few years, (too busy going on cruises:) ), and so haven't been to Australia Zoo. It is close to Brisbane, so very easy to do in a day trip. Even better would be to hire a car, visit the zoo and continue on to the Sunshine coast for a couple of days.

Brisbane is well worth visiting, too. We lived there for 18months during the '90s. The people are very friendly.

Whatever you do, you'll be sure to enjoy your stay. Then you can come back another time, during our winter, and really enjoy the GBR.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Nancy

I live in Brisbane and I can fully agree with the info provided by all the other posters.

A couple of things from my point of view.

1. There is a new Cruise Liner dock in Brisbane at Hamilton. It is just a few minutes from the CBD and is so much better than the old facility. Not exactly Sydney or Auckland though, where the cruise liners dock right in the heart of things.

2. The two coasts north and south of Bne are called the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast respectively. The Gold Coast is all glitzy, touristy and to my mind just a bit ordinary. It helps if you speak Japanese! The Sunshine Coast is favoured by most Brisbanites. It is more relaxed but still plenty to see and enjoy.

3. Australia Zoo is in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland so can be easily combined with a visit to the northern beaches. It is not large by international standards, but very well put together and is a very enjoyable visit. I compare it somewhat with the Zoo in Vancouver.

4. December will be warm (if not hot) but is better than February when it gets very humid. Not sure if you will miss the schoolkids. They get out earlier and earlier and the final year students are on the streets as soon as they finish exams. There is an annual event in Queensland called "Schoolies week". Mainly centred on the Gold Coast. It is actually a number of weeks strung together where kids who have finished schooling, from all over Australia come to let their hair down. Sometimes things get out of control and it has been known to cause some parents considerable concern.

All in all you will find much to do in and around Brisbane + plenty of safe places to go snorkeling. If however you wanted to see the GBR it does stretch down the Qld coast some considerable way. Some of the best places to visit are actually not all that far from Brisbane (eg the islands off Gladstone) and these do not have the same pesky irtritations as you find further north.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy Australia

cheers

Archived