Watch Your Children At All Times

TXRed

First off, I am not taking the FORMER police officer's side and I am not taking the boys side. In my 19 yrs on the job, I have found there are two sides to the story and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

There are some oddities in the boys story. If the father knew that the sauna was for 16yr olds, why did he let them continue to visit the sauna? When the boys first told their parents about Rod being "weird" and spanking one of them, why did they just blow them off and tell them not to bother the other adults? I would have been hunting the guy down, then and there.

We weren't there, so non of us truly know what happened. The boys appear to be the innocent ones and the suspect AND the parents seem to be the offenders.

This case needs to be settled in a court of law.

BUT....

Parents, pay attention to your kids. Todays world is a lot different than when most of us were growing up. You don't have to smother the kids to protect them. Listen to them and don't blow them off when they talk to you. These boys were giving an "outcry" of possible abuse and the parents didn't listen to what they were saying. Now they have to live with the thoughts of what possibly happened in that sauna.

If a political official, ex-police officer, youth minister or even a priest can have innappropriate contact with kids, then no place should be considered "safe".

I have now donned my flame retardent suit.

At what age do you all feel is appropriate to let these kids have a bit of freedom? I'm not referring to the children in this situation but I'm hearing a lot of 12... too young. 13... too young. 17... too young.

The cruise lines let kids at age 12 check themselves in and out of club activities. Many states(including the one I live in) allow babysitting at the age of 12. So it seems to be that would be the starting point of "limited" freedom. At 18 they can vote and fight for our country... so it baffles me that some would not allow a 17 year old to explore a ship on their own.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one to let my own run free(24/7)... but I feel that at the ages of 14 and 18(my kids), they can go to the arcade alone. Get something to eat alone, etc. Seems there is a lot of smothering of childern happening out there. Or... maybe it's just that I'm not watching mine closely enough...

At some point these kids are going to go off to college(normally at 17 or 18). What are we suppose to do? Go with them... not allow them to walk on campus alone... not attend sporting events without mom and dad...? I'm just curious as to what point you all feel parents are suppose to trust that what we have taught them actually did sink in and let them learn about the big bad world that we live in... without following them around with a pillow to catch their fall... :rolleyes:

The sad nature of all this is, it doesn't matter how much you watch your kids... bad things will happen! They will happen with you right there(it only takes a second for a child to be snatched) or if the kids are alone...

Ditto that. A cruise is just a very small city on a ship. I don't let my kids run around unsupervised on land so why would I do it at sea.

Things can happen so fast and they would be helpless in the event someone meant them harm or an accident happened to them with no parent or guardian there to help them.

I agree. People are lulled into a false sense of security because there alot of people around or they send their kids off together and assume they'll be safe. Things happen in seconds and even street smart kids can be caught off guard out of their element. Does anyone remember the father who killed his daughter AND her friend in a park not long ago where they went to ride bikes? It's unfortunate that we all have to live our lives on guard to protect our kids but that's reality and it is a parents responsibility to do so. If you don't want to watch your kids then don't bring them. You simply can't and shouldn't depend on strangers or crew to protect your children and keep them safe. Besides people who may cause your child harm there are also plenty of oportunities for a child to get hurt on the ship if not supervised. Look at Princess when it listed suddenly, imagine not being with your child to try and protect them from being hurt? An 11 year old child would be terrified if they were not with thier parents or an adult when a mechanical problem occured suddenly. Every month there are parents on tv looking for missing kids and they always say how responsible they were and how good they were but despite that the outcome is usually not good. It's simply not worth the risk to leave underage kids unattended by their own parents on ship. If the child does get hurt in some manner are the parents going to blame the crew and cruiseline? People will argue and say well the kids want to go to the game room and do kid things. That's exactly what they should be doing and their parents or an adult they trust should be with them. Isn't the point of bringing them with us is to spend time with them? For those who say kids need to learn to be independent, I couldn't agree more but like I said a cruise ship is out of their element. At home they know the area, they know neighbors and their community. On a cruise ship they are exposed to thousands of strangers from all over the world in an unfamiliar area. You may as well take them to Grand Central Station in New York City and leave them there and tell them you'll check back in a half hour. Kids can be hurt and harmed anywhere including at their own home and life is all about risk but we can limit the risk we expose our kids to by deciding where and when they can learn and test their independence. A cruise ship filled with thousands of strangers from all over the world traveling to different countries is not the place to let underage kids learn how to be independent. IMHO:o

agree with you 100% on this one. So often you see young children running around a cruise ship with no parent in sight. If you don't want to watch your children, leave them at home. They will be safer and happier. Remember, parents, you are on a family vacation when you bring children and that means you have parental responsibilities!

Yes, big man guilty. However, Cruising Gator is pointing out an ounce of prevention goes a long way. I think it brings up a valid point of how we need to protect and prevent harm to our children.

I too would like some accountability on parents parts for allowing their childeren to be put in these situations.( It certainly never Justifies the crime) After all they are the Adults not 12 yr olds. They need protecting.

I am all for children's rights and that means protective Parenting which is quite absent these days........

CuriousCat

Aqhacruiser and Cruising Gator's posts about prevention and a false sense of security really say a lot for me. Who knows the real story, the real outcome, etc! However, how many times have we (and I'm talking about adults now also) been a little careless, having that false sense of security in our travels? On my last trip I couldn't find the ice machine in a hotel and just knew it was around every corner. How many times have we ventured out on the ship late at night or in areas no one is there at that time? I know we can't and shouldn't be paranoid about all of these things but sometimes that common sense about security and prevention seem to sail away or fly out the door.

In some sense I do agree points from all these posts. It is a scary world we live in. I've seen this first hand--I'm in Littleton, Colorado. But I thought of a few points to ponder...

I can't believe that all unattended children are misbehaving and running around. I am taking a family vacation, and we have vacationed many times to many places. I had intended having my 14yr. and 12 yr. old get something to drink or go to the teen club etc. by themselves. Some posts make is sound like the ship is crawling with people that want to harm children.

I would not have them be alone an extended period of time, but I think that no where is really safe. Heck, I send my kids to school everyday, and that doesn't even seem safe anymore.

Do I want to slowly give my kids some controlled independence, or do I want to shelter them so much that they can't think for themselves? My kids know how to take public transportation, walk in the foothills by my home by themselves and are well aware of dangers around them.

Will I let them just roam the ship aimlessly for hours--No. Do I think it is appropriate for them to meet me a half hour later in the windjammer because them want to watch some TV in thte cabin? Yes. Swim in the pool without me there-No. Go to the movie theatre to watch a movie-Yes.

Controlled independence.

You may as well take them to Grand Central Station in New York City and leave them there and tell them you'll check back in a half hour. A cruise ship filled with thousands of strangers from all over the world traveling to different countries is not the place to let underage kids learn how to be independent. IMHO:o

Aqhacruiser, You are a very sensible person.

Archived