traveling with niece?

melika091900

we are booking our niece last minute on a cruise we are already booked for, do they let us do that? since shes a minor , does she need any permission slip from her parents or anything ?? i was just wondering since they wont be there. any info id appreciate...

also,,.. since we are booking 4weeks in advance do they still send tickets in the mail ?

thanks in advance..

Melissa

Hello. They may or may not allow you to add your niece at this time. Each ship is only allowed a certain number of cabins with 3rd and/or 4th pax. Even if the cabin you are in is rated for a 3rd, they may have reached the maximum allowed. There are always more cabins rated to hold extra pax then are allowed to be booked on each cruise. This gives pax more options of locations and cabin type when booking. The maximum 3rd/4th and total maximum pax per cruise is set by the Coast Guard and cannot be changed by the cruise line. I hope they do allow you to book her in with you, but want you to be prepared and understand in case they don't.

Yes, you will need a notarized letter signed by both her parents. It will need to give you permission to take your niece out of the country and give the specific trip and dates. It will also need to authorize you to make any medical decisions (God forbid, but you must be prepared) if necesary. Some people may tell you that "no one has ever asked for the letter, so don't worry about it." DO worry about it--it doesn't matter what happened to someone else; it only matters that you are required to provide it when asked and, if you don't have it, may be denied boarding. You will probably be asked to bring your niece's birth certificate as well. It needs to be the official copy (raised seal and all that) registered with the government, not a photocopy you make at home or the little birth notice from the hospital. If your niece is 16 or older, she will be required to have the birth certificate and an official government photo ID (driver's license or state ID).

Hope it alls works for you and that you have a great cruise.

beachchick

Beachchik has this one all nailed down. We took our niece on DCL when she was younger. She had a blast. 4 years later she is still talking about it. It never hurts to go overkill when preparing for a cruise with a child that is not your own. While we think bad things won't happen, they can and do. I didn't expect her to get hurt, but I was prepared in case. However, I ended up getting hurt due a coral sting that turned into an infection.

As far as the Govt ID, (you didn't mention her age), but in Florida now, at the age 5, a child can get a State ID card for use. This is also helpful, as if the child goes missing Law Enforcement has ready access to an available photo and can get the word out quickly. The cost is just $3.

I hope you ahve fun with your niece, it was the highlight of my cruise having her with me. Not mention, you get favorite Aunt/Uncle status for atleast a little a while.

There is a form on the NCL website that needs to be filled out. When you look at it notice that all the form does is release NCL from liability of the minor. That is what the ship requires.

For your niece's safety, you need a letter (preferably notarized) with all the permissions including medical. Also get a copy of her medical insurance card.

Hello. They may or may not allow you to add your niece at this time. Each ship is only allowed a certain number of cabins with 3rd and/or 4th pax. Even if the cabin you are in is rated for a 3rd, they may have reached the maximum allowed. There are always more cabins rated to hold extra pax then are allowed to be booked on each cruise. This gives pax more options of locations and cabin type when booking. The maximum 3rd/4th and total maximum pax per cruise is set by the Coast Guard and cannot be changed by the cruise line. I hope they do allow you to book her in with you, but want you to be prepared and understand in case they don't.

Yes, you will need a notarized letter signed by both her parents. It will need to give you permission to take your niece out of the country and give the specific trip and dates. It will also need to authorize you to make any medical decisions (God forbid, but you must be prepared) if necesary. Some people may tell you that "no one has ever asked for the letter, so don't worry about it." DO worry about it--it doesn't matter what happened to someone else; it only matters that you are required to provide it when asked and, if you don't have it, may be denied boarding. You will probably be asked to bring your niece's birth certificate as well. It needs to be the official copy (raised seal and all that) registered with the government, not a photocopy you make at home or the little birth notice from the hospital. If your niece is 16 or older, she will be required to have the birth certificate and an official government photo ID (driver's license or state ID).

Hope it alls works for you and that you have a great cruise.

beachchick

thanks for the info,

yeah i booked her with my mom in an inside.. since me and my hub and daughter are in our own room already, weve been booked since march :) we have a balcony and they are right across the hall in an inside, so that worked out really good.

thank you again

Melissa

Melissa: That's great. Sounds like you are all going to have a blast!

beachchick

thanks !! yeah im ready again... everytime we get off a cruise, im like where are we going next ???!!! hahhaa

my mom and niece have never been on a cruise or to mexico so they are really excited... and since weve been on the star already this year. it will help . hopefully we wont get too lost all the time,,, hahahahaha

take care

Melissa

:)

Archived