River Cruise on Viking Sky

Yosemitegal

Has anyone cruised on the Viking Sky this year? I am thinking of booking for 2007 but am concerned that it was new in 1999 and hasnt yet been refurbished. Also the windows do not open in the cabins on the Sky. A freind took a simular cruise last summer on a older boat and was very disappointed with the boat. I Would appreciate any info you might know.

The Sky goes from Vienna to Amsterdam. I am also considering the Viking Sun which goes from Basel to Antwerp.:confused:

I have been on both the Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2005. The Sun is definitely a far superior vessel, but both trips were excellent. The Sun, which goes from Basel Switzerland to Antwerp and vice versa, has a superb Austrian chef that is allowed to deviate from the "company" menu. When I went in April 2005, my sailing was the inaugural voyage, and the ship was brand new. The trip far exceeded my expectations. I would recommend both trips, and would choose based on the itinerary, as you will be happy with both. The Sky is not "shabby" or worn out, but you cannot compare a brand new ship with one that has been in service for 7-8 years, especially since the technology and updates also make a significant difference in enjoyment as well. Viking does a great job in satisfying their customers, and they know how to maintain their vessels properly.

Good luck in your decision!

Before you make a final decision regarding tour company check out some others.There have been sevaral complaints about Viking on these boards this year.Look at Amadeaus and Avalon.They both get really good reviews.Just a suggestion.

RiverCruiser63 Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me a little about the Ports you visited on the Sun Viking. Was there enough to keep you busy in all of the Ports? My husband and I are both 53, and like to keep active. If you dont mind me asking, what was the average age of the travelers on the ship? I like the idea of having a cabin with windows or french doors that open, is that an option that you felt important or didnt it matter much?

I would say that the average age on my cruise on 04/15/05 was approx. 60 years. The youngest was 29 and the oldest were early 80's. I was 41 at the time and was among the youngest. Many passengers were in their 50's and still working. The vast majority are quite personable and very delightful to be around. You make many newfound friendships that will last indefinitely.

With respect to the windows opening issue, I had a Category B cabin, which is on the middle of the three decks. My window could open and was as wide as the entire cabin room. The weather was pleasant to quite cool, and found myself not really opening it that much. So, I would not think it would be much of an issue. The category A cabins on the top deck are identical rooms, except the windows are floor to ceiling in height. One thought though about the upper most decks on riverships, is that some passengers wake up early to do morning joggs on the sundeck and they create a lot of noise and vibrations. I heard this complaint from several guests. In my opinion from what I saw on the Viking Sun, the best value cabins are in the middle, either category C or B. It depends on what time of year you book your cruise to determine if you will get the value out of a window that opens or not.

As far as the ports are concerned, Viking has shore excursions at every port and they really do a good job of making the most of your days. When I went, there were three optional excursions offered. I went on two of them. If you go in the spring, which I highly recommend, you get to go to Keukenhof Gardens, which is spectacular. Also, I went to the Open Air Museum in Arnhem Netherlands. I think it would be wise to go in late April to mid May, since the crowds are less, the cruise fare is lower and the weather is ideal. The Sun holds 198 passengers with 99 cabins. I was fortunate in that on my sailing there were only 104 guests. The ship is really quite nice and spacious. The newer ships are a bonus when you do take these journeys. I also went this past May '06 on Uniworld's new River Royale in the southern part of France. It is also a nicely appointed ship, with an incredible itinerary for a 7 night cruise.

From what I have read on these forums, choose the itinerary, time, cost etc. that fits your needs, and decide based upon those factors, since all of the lines that cater to Americans are very good. Amadeus Waterways, Avalon, Vantage, Uniworld, Viking and Peter Deilman seem to offer great products with few complaints. I have been on three river cruises thus far, and am going on my fourth next week. (with Uniworld) I think it is an excellent way to experience Europe.

Thanks again RiverCruiser63 for your reply. We are looking at going on the cruise during the summer months because I work in the education field and have to take my vacation when schools are out for summer. Unfortunatly, we are just going to have to put up with the crowds. Thanks for the tip about the early joggers on the top deck, I hadnt even thought about people jogging on a river boat. Enjoy your cruise and thanks again for the information.

Archived