Vegetarian Options on Carnival Cruiseships?

TO220740

Hi,

I'm just wondering what people think of the vegetarian options aboard cruiseships. I don't eat any type of meat (including chicken and fish, which people continually offer me since they seem to be thought of as "vegetables") so I'm hoping that their options include more than just salads, etc.

Any insight would be appreciated.

:)

Hi,

I'm just wondering what people think of the vegetarian options aboard cruiseships. I don't eat any type of meat (including chicken and fish, which people continually offer me since they seem to be thought of as "vegetables") so I'm hoping that their options include more than just salads, etc.

Any insight would be appreciated.

:)

I tried a couple diner vegetarian dishes on the Valor and was surprised how delicious they were.... One was the zuchini & eggplant parmigon and another was an Indian dish (we were on a back to back, the first time I ordered them with "real food" - and then the next week I enjoyed the parmigon so much that I ordered it ala - alone!).

I can't speak across the board on this - but if the samples I had are any indication - you should love it ~

enester

It is hard. We were on the Miracle in Jan out of Tampa. I don't eat dairy or eggs in additon to meat. All salad dressings they had are bought in bulk and were made with dairy. They use chicken stock in soups and some other dishes like rice. The would have some nice looking salad in the buffet but then add meat or seafood to them...

I did get some cooperation and had a few things made for me at dinner but the rest of the time I was on my own.

If your travel agent sends in you meal limitations, you can also call and write to confirm, they are suppose to accomodate you. This depends on the ship, the chef, the maitre'd, and your head waiter. Yes I was offered the fish the first night, even after all of this...Plus even though I was in the system as verified the first day by the head waiter when we went to check.. We got a waiter that could not answer questions about what was in the food an didn't seem to care....hence his suggesting the fish......

OKay I am being a bit negative.. I have had great cruises where things went very well and this one where it wasn't done right.

It is hard. We were on the Miracle in Jan out of Tampa. I don't eat dairy or eggs in additon to meat. All salad dressings they had are bought in bulk and were made with dairy. They use chicken stock in soups and some other dishes like rice. The would have some nice looking salad in the buffet but then add meat or seafood to them...

I did get some cooperation and had a few things made for me at dinner but the rest of the time I was on my own.

If your travel agent sends in you meal limitations, you can also call and write to confirm, they are suppose to accomodate you. This depends on the ship, the chef, the maitre'd, and your head waiter. Yes I was offered the fish the first night, even after all of this...Plus even though I was in the system as verified the first day by the head waiter when we went to check.. We got a waiter that could not answer questions about what was in the food an didn't seem to care....hence his suggesting the fish......

OKay I am being a bit negative.. I have had great cruises where things went very well and this one where it wasn't done right.

Thanks very much everyone.... My sister is vegan and generally has a hard time anywhere she goes so I can appreciate your problem re: food, spaceguy.

I will try those dishes if they have similar ones and I should be ok with dairy/egg in my food. Its funny how difficult it can be to find something that doesn't have meat in it; I've only been vegetarian for a few months and it takes a lot of effort most days but the benefits so far have been great.

Regards,

Don

Every night at dinner there is a vegetarian entree offered. Usually it's a dairy thing, but one or two might have been vegan. There is also a pasta option on the menu each night and one or two of those might have been meat-free.

Vegetarians who are willing to overlook a meat or chicken stock or to remove the shrimp from a salad will find lots of choices. Vegetarians who eat dairy and eggs will find an adequate number of choices. Strict vegans can get by, but will need to be a bit creative. You can always get a baked potato or two at dinner, whether it is on the menu or not!

We were on the 4 night Fantasy in August with my brother who is a vegitarian. For the first 3 nights he ate the one vegutarian selection on the menu and thought they were very good. We took a galley tour the 4th day and were talking about that and were told that they do have more options than what is on the menu. As with any other item on the menu on any given night you can usually get it on any night just by asking. Also, if there is something in particular that you want as a vegitarian, ask the Matre De before dinner, for them preferably the night before, and if they have the ingrediants they most likely will make it for you.

to220740 -

I suggest you try to look for two threads - if i was more advanced on here i would link them so sorry you'll have to do it the hard way... On this board there is a thread started by serene with Carnival's new menus - I believe they said they are technically for the liberty but have been added across the line. It shows each day with the starters, entrees, vegitarian option, and desserts i believe. Very helpful and good news - for some of us who have been a vegetarian for longer (over 12 yrs) - Carnival doesnt/hasnt changed up their vegetarian options in a while - you forget until you're back on board... Now I have put to the test the choosing sides off all the entrees to create my own meal. Just look at the offerings with the meat things say mashed potatoes, brocoli, and corn or something - just pick what you like and ask the waiter to bring it out for you - you might have to wait a little bit longer - but usually well worth the wait. Now the second thread to check out would be in the Cruise Foodies section. Theres a thread there that other vegetarians started saying several of the cruiselines have additional menus for just vegetarians all you have to do is ask if you dont like the one option that is offered. No one has gotten back to me if this is true on Carnival as well because if it is I'm going to even better time aboard the valor in november! So if anyone here knows of this additional menu on Carnival let me know I want to put it to good use!

Theres a thread there that other vegetarians started saying several of the cruiselines have additional menus for just vegetarians all you have to do is ask if you dont like the one option that is offered. No one has gotten back to me if this is true on Carnival as well because if it is I'm going to even better time aboard the valor in november! So if anyone here knows of this additional menu on Carnival let me know I want to put it to good use!

Yes this is true. This was the other thing we were told when we took the galley tour. Guess they do not say anything because they figure not a lot of people are vegetarian, but it seems to me there are enough that they should at least have it available on the tables with the wine list. Just ask your waiter the first night of the cruise and I am sure that you will see it every night

Jumping in...

Just for an example, here is an entire sample menu from Carnival, where I figured out everything that was vegetarian (including which soups didn't use chicken stock)...

Then needless to say, as soon as I figured this all out, they updated the menu! (sigh)...

But it will give you a lot of specific ideas and examples and it's still pretty similar;) ...

Dinner Menu - Day 1

Starters and Salads

Tropical Fruits Marinated with Lime Juice and a Touch of Tequila

Crema Di Funghi Selvatica

Gazpacho Andalouse

Mixed Garden and Field Greens

Hearts of Romaine Lettuce with Cherry Tomatoes

Main Courses

Ziti with Italian Sausage, Assorted Bell Peppers and Fresh Mushrooms (they’ll make this without the sausage)

Madras-Style Vegetable Curry

Desserts and Cheeses

Orange Cake

Guava Cheese Napoleon

Decadence of Chocolate

Black Forest Gateau

Ice Cream - Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry Butter Pecan

Sherbet - Orange, Pineapple, Lime

Cheeses - Port Salut, Brie, Gouda, Imported Swiss, Danish Bleu

Dinner Menu - Day 2

Starters and Salads

Fantasy of Tropical Fruit Berries

Ragout of Wild Mushrooms

Strawberry Bisque

Main Courses

Trennette Putanesca (you can ask for this pasta without anchovies)

Grilled Brochettes of Fresh Garden Vegetables

Desserts and Cheeses

Banana Gateau

Swedish Almond Chocolate Cake

Passion Fruit Indulgence

Cherries Jubilee

Dinner Menu - Day 3

Starters and Salads

Tender Hearts of Tropical Palm and California Artichokes

Chilled Cucumber Soup

Hearts of Iceberg Lettuce

Main Courses

Penne Mariscos (ask for this without the shrimp/scallops)

Baked Herb Polenta

Desserts and Cheeses

Marbled Kahlua Cheesecake

Key Lime Pie

Chocolate Souffle

Dinner Menu - Day 4

Starters and Salads

Grilled Baby Vegetables

Chilled Cream of Lyches

Hearts of California Artichokes, Vine-Ripened Tomatoes, Fennel Roots

Main Courses

Farfalle with Smoked Turkey Tenderloin and Green Asparagus Tips (obviously ask for this without turkey)

Black Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas

Desserts and Cheeses

Coconut Cake

Old Fashioned Apple Pie

Tiramisu

Chocolate Tres-Leches

Dinner Menu - Day 5

Starters and Salads

Vine-Ripened Beefsteak Tomatoes and Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella

Southwestern-Style Egg Roll

Curly Endive and Thinly Sliced Cucumbers

Main Courses

Penne Tossed in a Tomato-Cream Sauce with Vodka and Caviar (you can ask for this without caviar)

Vegetarian Lasagna with Spinach, Mushrooms and Ricotta Cheese

Desserts and Cheeses

SC Lemon Cake

Strawberry Cheesecake

Chocolate Mousse

Hazelnut Creme Brulee

Dinner Menu - Day 6

Starters and Salads

Freshly Grilled Portabella Mushroom and Hand-Picked Mesclun Lettuce