price increases

meow!

Just this last April, we went on a very nice two week Mediterranean cruise on the Regatta for $3299 including free air. If you allowed $1000 for the air, it came to $164 per diem sans air. That was the "low season" of course. Just for comparison, now on Oceania's website, I found an August Northern European 12 day cruise for $2699 without air, that would be $225 per diem without air. On the same website, a two week Northern European itinerary with free air for August, 2005, costs $4699. Even allowing $1200 for the air (since it is high season), it still comes to $250 per diem sans air. This gives me the impression that prices have increased significantly for cruises in the future. (This may be true of other cruise lines as well.) Am I right? Will those in the know kindly explain? We must have been lucky to have grabbed our chance this past Spring!

P.S. In all cases, I have been comparing rates for category B, the basic balconied cabins. Thank you.

It does appear that prices have increased substantially for 2005. There are several possible explanations for this. The dollar has dropped against the Euro since the prices for 2004 were set. At the current exchange rate, European cruises on Oceania are a good buy compared to European hotel and restaurant prices. Considering the goods and services that the ships need to acquire in Europe, this deal can't last forever. In addition, fuel prices are up.

It is also likely that Oceania has established a reputation and a customer base and believes that it can fill the ships at higher rates. With the delay of Nautica, capacity is not increasing for next season. It becomes a question of what the market will bear. It is always possible to start high and reduce prices later if not enough people buy.

There are plenty of places in the US and elsewhere where you can stay and eat for $500 per couple per day not including tips, wine or the much-debated corkage fee. However, those places don't also move you to a new city every day or two. When you consider the value of the transportation and the convenience of not repacking every day, the cruise remains a good value.

Posted by RDowney:

"There are plenty of places in the US and elsewhere where you can stay and eat for $500 per couple per day not including tips, wine or the much-debated corkage fee."

yes you are correct.. I think you know where I was going with my post though.. ;-)

The prices have indeed gone up, but not just for Oceania. I have been looking at various cruises and comparing prices, and it seems that the travel industry in general is no longer operating at deep discount prices. While we may not be able to cruise as often as we like, at least for now, Oceania is still a good value for the price.

Kathy

Archived