Sharing cabins as a single cruiser.

vicdreyer

Hi,

Last time I cruised (Princess 10 day Mexican Riviera), I payed double so that I could have a balcony room all to myself. As that does get expensive, on the next cruise I'm looking at getting just one ticket for myself and was wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences sharing a cabin with some stranger? How do the Cruise lines 'match' single cruisers to a cabin?

Vic

I personally think it's too much of a chance when you share a cabin with a complete stranger. You pay so much to cruise and an entire week can be ruined if you're stuck with the roommate from hell. Cabins are so tiny and then there's the whole sharing a bathroom thing.

Hi Kitty9,

I'm not brave enough to share a bathroom yet. I'd have to use it by myself, then when I'm through, the other person would have to use it by themselves (hehe)

Seriously, I hear you about someone you are sharing a cabin with ruining the whole vacation. In this case, one bad apple DOES spoil the whole bunch).

I've decided to fork over the extra $$ and look for good deals.

Vic

• 4 months later...

I've never used a cabin share for a cruise ship before, but I have travelled with "singles" excursions before where you share a hotel room with someone on your tour. Many hotel rooms in Europe (especially when the tour chooses a "rustic" B&B - they say for us to get a taste of the real Ireland/Italy/France but really it is because it was dirt cheap!) are very small and some even have shared bathrooms with more than one room.

As mentioned in previous posts, it all depends on how you do with sharing amenities. I have never had a serious problem with roommates in these situations (though on tours there is the obvious advantage of being able to trade up roommates if you meet someone you get along with well) some are a tad messy for my taste or might snore a little, but that is why God invented earplugs and patience.

While it is true that you are spending good money even if you share a cabin, I have to say that my experiences sharing rooms has been more good than bad. Sometimes it has been the thing that made the trip - as you often find a built in traveling companion since this person you are rooming with is also traveling solo.

I believe cruiselines and travel agencies work the cabin shares much as they do for Europe tours, trying to pair people by age and marital status, etc. - I am 27 and single, and have NEVER been paired with anyone married or over the age of 38.

I would suggest to try it on a SHORT inexpensive cruise (like a 3 day Bahamas) if you aren't sure about it. If you KNOW you would allow a bad roommate to destroy your good time, don't waste the money! Some people just don't do well when their privacy is invaded.

Archived