CARMEL limo service HELP! Is this as bad as I've now read?

nlptes

After seeing a reccomendation for this service, I called to book sedan from Newark Airport to the port and return a week later. The rates were great! I simply thought the first operator was rude. She also wanted to know my exact cruise pier number. (I told her the driver would see it on the sign!). In my haste, (coupled by being so put-off with her attitude) I neglected to ask for a confirmation number :o :( :confused:

When I called back, the operator was about as rude as the first. I told him I didn't have a res # and He asked for my cell # and found my reservation.. he said my cell # was my confirmation.

After going thru all this, I decided I should look for more reviews. I'm miserable......... in about 40 reviews, 35 are bad. POSTED FROM 10/12/06:

"I FEARD FOR MY LIFE"

The Carmel driver picked me up at 4.30 am at my NY hotel to take me to Newark airport. As he started out going in the wrong direction, I was immediatly concerned. We finally made it to NJ, but I was worried at the slow speed he was driving, approximately 35mph on a 55 mph highway. In trying to express my concern I discovered the driver did NOT speak english. As the highway was passing thru Newark, NJ the driver proceeded to exit the highway onto a very dark, rundown area of town. To my amazment he got out of the car leaving me alone and started shouting and waving his arms in the air. Remember it was 5.00am and very dark and I thought I was being "set up" for something. I FEARED FOR MY LIFE. Seemingly he was lost and was trying to attract attention to ask the way. I had to scream at the driver to get back in the car so that I could try to guide him to the airport, which I finaly did. Afterwards I contacted Carmel to complain and request compensation. Their reponse was that they would talk to the driver and that "he got you there, didn't he?", they were not concerned. In addition they charged me for tolls and parking which were not used. My only recourse is to make public this experience in the hope it will help other people who may consider this company. Take heed, my advice is that if you value your life do not use this company

DOES ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS? OPINIONS? Should I call credit card and pay to cancel payment :confused:

after posting 'should i cancel' the obvious answer was OF COURSE.

oh well, not so easy. Called customer service for (major bank) credit card (and forgive my political incorrectness), but a guy from India was (trying to) help me. I'm sorry :rolleyes: the guy was nice enuf...............

BOTTOM LINE: THEY CANNOT/WILL NOT CANCEL A PAYMENT FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD until it's been charged and you've been (screwed). Thought there was a time you could Stop Payment :confused:

I am not happy right now. If ANYONE can tell me something positive about Carmel, please do it now.:(

More posts I found after it was too late:

only wish I had read these reviews before I booked with them! The operator did not record my coupon number when I called, and the driver refused to honor the coupon, and when I called Carmel (from the backseat of the car at hte airport), the customer service operator told me that I was a liar, and starting screaming at me, and when I asked to transfer me to her manager or be given her manager's name, she hung up on me! I called back and again asked to speak to a manager, was told there was no manager available, and when I explained the sitautation again, the second operator began screaming at me as well, and when I asked for her name, she refused to give it to me, and then hung up on me again! It was the most outrageous customer service experience I have ever had. I never raised my voice, and had TWO of their customer service employees yelling at me - all over a $3 coupon! I will never, ever, ever use this company again - I intend to file a complaint with the city as well. Stay far, far away from this company.

Pros: none

Cons: customer service, very old / dirty car (most yellow cabs are nicer!)

Overall user rating: Not Recommended

Horrible Company, Horrible People

Posted by calmargulis on 07/19/2006

I called Carmel Car Service to take a piece of furniture thirty blocks up Broadway. They charged me $46 and the car was late, but the driver was a nice guy, so I figured it was fine. I had 'secured' the reservation with my debit card, which the man on the phone assured me would not be charged until I told the driver to do so. I paid the driver in cash, tipped him ten dollars, and figured it was all over. Then, two days later, I see that they had charged $63 to my account, in addition to my cash payment. When I called to complain, I got someone on the phone who explained that this is their policy: to charge the customer's debit card and then give the money back later if they pay with cash or cancel the pickup. I explained that the man I spoke to when I set up the pickup had told me that the exact opposite of this would be true, and when I got to the part where I suggested that I would not be using their services anymore, the man simply hung up on me in the middle of my sentence. Carmel Car & Limousine SVC are lying, disrespectful people, and no one in the city of New York should ever use their services.

Overall user rating: Not Recommended

NEVER AGAIN!

Posted by batandrat on 06/08/2006

I am NEVER using Carmel again. .. So basically, Carmel ignored my reservation entirely. I am NEVER, EVER using them again. Carmel is the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

If I were in your situation, I would call the "shame on you" news reporters and expose them on tv to alert others as well. I am from new jersey taking a limo to newark airport but it is recommended by a family member who is friendly with the owners. You can also report them to the better business beaurau.

I used to travel to NYC on business with some frequency and I used Carmel to to get me to/from Laguardia to/from downtown and midtown a lot. I never had any major issues with them--I do recall one time the interior of the car smelled bad (really bad), but in maybe 20 trips they always seemed to be ok---knew where they were going, showed up on time, etc. I have no doubt that people have had bad expereinces like the ones described above, but just thought I would try and add a few positive (or atleast non-negative) experiences.

We all have had an occassional bad experience with something. The test of a good service is not how they react when something goes right...its how they react when something goes wrong. The OP complained to Carmel and basically was told you got there so shut up. Iy seems that was what the complaint was. The fact that you had good experiences has nothing to do with how they handled a complaint which you don't appear to have made.

We all have had an occassional bad experience with something. The test of a good service is not how they react when something goes right...its how they react when something goes wrong. The OP complained to Carmel and basically was told you got there so shut up. Iy seems that was what the complaint was. The fact that you had good experiences has nothing to do with how they handled a complaint which you don't appear to have made.

I see--thank you for clarifying this for me

I've had too many bad experiences with Carmel and never use them. On this board I generally recommend AllState. I'll list Carmel last (in case the others are busy during peak times)

Carmel has left me stranded more than once. One time being Xmas Day when we arranged our pick-up from a friends house in Riverdale. I booked it a month ahead of time, confirmed a week ahead of time, confirmed on Xmas morning for our 8:00PM pick-up and then the driver was a "no show". Calls to Carmel got me comments like, "well, we're veddy bizzy today. it's Xmas". Yeah, they're supposed to be bizzy with ME!

Carmel's operators are extremely rude, though honestly that comes with the territory. These kinds of jobs pay the lowest wages, so look who applies for them - not the creme de la creme of our society. Though it's clear that Carmel "management" (i use that term very loosely) makes no effort to train them and the word "customer service" is non-existant to them.

As far as the drivers being from India - well that also comes with the territory. Most drivers - whether for car services or taxi cabs - are from places like India, Pakistan, Russia, Montenegro, etc. It's a job they can get with limited language skills. But again, there are many very,very nice drivers, but my guess it that Carmel abuses it's drivers as much as they abuse their customers and they get drivers who are new to the business and don't give them any training in terms of customer service or directions to the airport. I have a feeling that the good drivers leave Carmel and go to the other companies as soon as they get better at their job.

What a difference a new day makes. Called limo company ready for an argument, and they said ok, they'd cancel my reservation. :confused:

Thanks to everyone for their responses, I'm glad they're were a few positive ones, but personally I'd never try them. I book a car in advance so I DON'T have to worry - this company's reputation is enuf to keep me far far away!

Nancy

Archived