Montego Bay or Ocho Rios???

Live the good life

My teenage daughter and I just came back from our 12 day Millie Mediterranean cruise...Having heard of how much fun we had, DH is agreeing to be with us for a 7 nights Western Carribean cruise. Thinking of Princess Carribean departing on Aug 21, 2004 versus other cruise lines...Any input on whether we should go with a cruise line that stops by (1) Montego Bay versus Ocho Rios and Pros and Cons of the 2 destinations, and (2) cruise lines would be greatly appreciated.

Kim-"Ltgl"

Not sure about the cruise lines, but I can tell you about Jamaica. Mo Bay is more of "Jamaica". Ocho Rios is more touristy. I have spent some time in both and I prefer Mo Bay. If you prefer the real Jamaican experience, then Mo Bay is your place. If you want the polished over Jamaica, then go to Ocho Rios. Mo Bay has better scenery, but Ocho Rios has Dunn's River Falls. Just depends on what your crew prefers.

If you were looking to go to Margaritaville, then the one in Ocho Rios is much better. The Margaritaville in Montego Bay does not have a beach and is much smaller. The one in Ocho Rios is very large, it's right on the beach, and has lots of extra's. Personally, I don't like large crowds and touristy areas like Margaritaville. But a lot of people do. It's according to what you're looking for. Are you looking for peace and relaxation? Or are you wanting to get wild and have some fun? I will be in Montego Bay this October and plan on going to Sunset Beach Resort. It is visible from the ship. And it's an all inclusive that includes everything for a $20.00 entrance fee. They have buffets, alcohol, sodas, 3 pools, 3 beaches, swim up bar in one of the pools, paddle boats, canoes, snorkel equipment, and much more. And all of this is included for the $20.00 entrance fee.

We plan on doing some shopping and sight seeing. Then we will head to Sunset Beach Resort and drink, eat, and play on the beach until it's time to go. Missmissypie just went and loved it. I have heard others say they liked it too. So I guess the answer to your question is it's according to what you are looking for. Both places have nice things to do. Ocho Rios is more tourist friendly, but Montego Bay is more earthy and "the real Jamaica" as some call it. I don't think you'll go wrong either way. Just always use a gov't approved Juta taxi and go where the ship recommends for shopping.

(1) Anybody could provide us with the contact infos for Jamaica A-Z planners?

(2) Thank you both for the replies...Crusingt, your posts are very informative...We are definitely booked for the Princess 08/21/2004 from Fort Lauderdale stopping by Montego Bay. We opted for the penthouse suite and my teenage daughter is very excited about it because it won't be like our last Mediterannean cruise where whe spent 9 hours a day touring the port cities...That trip will forever special to us, but she'd still rather kick back and relax in the cabin!!!

Anyway, for Montego Bay, we will probably stop by Rose Hall, have lunch at the Ritz Carlton there, then finish the day at Sunset Beach...Wish we would have time to visit Negril or Doctor's Beach, heard the sand is very white at both places...We'll also take your recommendation and spend the day in Cozumel at Paradise beach...(if we have energy, we'll take the Tulum excursion since we did not have time to do this the last 2 times we were in Cancun); for Grand Cayman, still debating which beach to go to (Westin, Marriot, Royal, or another beach recommended on the board)...I'm looking forward to just enjoying the ship facilities and have a kick back sea and sun filled vacation!!! BTW, I love spicy and hot food too...Will go to Cinco Soles to buy "Marin Kut"...

Kim-"ltgl"

No doubt, go with a cruise line that ports in Ochos Rios! You will get to see more beauty of the island without wasting 1/2 of your day travelling by bus to find it. The Dunns River Falls are of course beautiful, but always full of tourists climbing in groups of 30 or so holding hands. I love them!!! I just don't appreciate the forced shopping and hounding experience afterwards.

Live the good life, I'm jealous! A suite on Princess? You're going to be spoiled! If we booked a suite on Princess, we would have to cut down on our other vacations. We just got back from a road trip to Branson, Missouri. A roadtrip every summer is our family tradition dating back several generations. Then of course, we have to have a couple of weekends in Vegas each year for just my husband and I. That's our quality time together. Actually, I have thought about skipping the Vegas thing next year and putting our money toward a suite. It sounds really fun. Like I said, I'm jealous.

And I too, thought about going to Negril or one of the other hot spots in Jamaica. But did you know Negril is a pretty far drive from Montego Bay? So is the Martha Brae rafting tour, it's about a 2 hour drive away. They don't tell you when you book your tour how far away it is and how long you're going to be crowded on that bus. That's why I like Sunset Beach. You can see it from the ship.

As far as Grand Cayman beaches are concerned, the locals highly recommend the 7 mile beach strip. One family just got back from their trip and really liked the Westin hotel. They said the best part of seven mile beach is in front of the Westin. Just walk thru the lobby and go out to the free beach. It is less crowded in front of the Westin and very clean and pretty. And across the street is "Eats" which is a very reasonably priced 50's style diner. They said the pizza and burgers were delicious. And if you do one of the stingray tours, most of the tour operators will drop you off at the Westin. Plus the Westin is very close to the ship. Enjoy your cruise! That suite will definitely make your cruise a lasting memory! Here's to hot spicy food and warm caribbean sun!

Thanks cruisinqt for the infos. I did not know Negril would be that far away...I think we will be happy with Sunset Beach in MB and Paradise Beach in Cozumel...Since my husband is prone to seasickness, we mostly travel by land/plane...But, he is looking forward to giving it a try again on a ship...We are celebrating our 20th anniversary this year, and that's why we want a special suite for this cruise...We are also soo excited because we have never tried a Princess before...We are not too picky though and have a good time on every cruiseline we have sailed including Carnival (which is supposed to be for younger and wilder people???)...

BTW, if you or others have been to Los Cabos, please give us input on Medina Beach and downtown Los Cabos...We probably will stay at the Pueblo Bonito Rose resort, heard it has nice Italian murals and columns and live music by the pool; and we can also use the next door sister hotel Blanco which has Grecian themes...Any tip on good authentic Mexican restaurants and good places for live Spanish music downtown Los Cabos or on the beach???

Kim-"ltgl"

Archived