Addt'l Infant/child Cost?

mruhaak

I am trying to choose a 7 day cruise for January 2008. When I am pricing them on different websites some are adding a cost for the kids (who will be ages 1.5 and 4.5) and some are not. I am trying to find the best value for us as a family.

Which cruise line discounts the most for add'l passengers? It seems to really vary. I'd love to do Disney but think it will be too expensive. I would prefer to do a line with babysitting available for our youngest too (for a few hours in the evening if we'd like.)

The only cruiseline's I know that give a specific discount for young kids are Disney, NCL, and Costa. Others will just give you a discount for the 3rd and 4th passengers in the room, but not one specifically for kids. Many of the lines like Carnival, RCCL, and Princess will still be less expensive than Disney, even though they don't give a specific discount for kids, because Disney is so expensive for the adults.

Most of the kids programs themselves will not take your youngest child (NCL and Carnival have a minimum age of 2, RCCL and Celebrity it is age 3), but Disney has a nursery for young children. RCCL and Celebrity have in cabin babysitting for age 1 and up.

Yes, the in cabin sitting is a factor. If Disney does not work out (awaiting their 2008 rates.) I am thinking RCCL because (a) we've cruised them before and had a good experience and (b) in-cabin sitting is available should we chose to spend a few hours alone.

Other option is bringing my mother-in-law and getting 2 inside adjoining cabins, but she is probably unable to help pay and that may add too much to the total cost to be feasible at this time.

3rd option- Wait until DS turns 2 in June and then go on Carnival. With this option we may have to wait until nearly November of 2008 to fit it in our schedule. I wasn't planning on waiting so long. Plus there is no guarantee at 2 that he would stay alone in the kids club anyway...

I believe Carnival offers babysitting for children younger than 2 at an additional cost - check the website. The best thing to do is check the total cost for each cruise you would consider (Disney, Carnival, etc), whether or not there's a child discount. For instance, I have found that when I can get a deal on Princess, the total fare is less than other lines, even though I have to pay the full 3rd passenger fare. (Though Princess does not offer any child care for kids under 3).

Best,

Mia

Carnival does offer babysitting for under two in the club, but not until 10 pm.

Another line with in cabin sitting is HAL, we are trying them in Feb. Although I am hearing that its not guaranteed....

I believe Carnival offers babysitting for children younger than 2 at an additional cost - check the website. The best thing to do is check the total cost for each cruise you would consider (Disney' date=' Carnival, etc), whether or not there's a child discount. For instance, I have found that when I can get a deal on Princess, the total fare is less than other lines, even though I have to pay the full 3rd passenger fare. (Though Princess does not offer any child care for kids under 3).

Best,

Mia[/quote']

You're right of course.

I just was pricing and expedia was not listing an extra cost for the kids but travelocity was... for the same cruise?? Then I got confused.

I'm going to have to shop around some more.

Thanks for all the advice.

I think Expedia lists its prices differently than travelocity. I think they spread the cost of 3 evenly as a per person price instead of the first two paying full and the third/fourth a supplement. Something like that. I find Expedia confusing.

Archived