New Cruiseship Pier In GC?

cruzeluver

Sorry, I have lost the link, but in doing some online research on another topic, I came across an article stating that a new cruiseship pier has opened in Grand Cayman that can accomodate large cruiseships. It stated the pier opened September 22.

Anyone have any info about this? I would think that this would be big news!!

They are wanting to build a pier, but it's still in the works. I found a link to the Cayman Compass which talks about the new tender area and the new pier. To me, it looks like they didn't understand the what's going on in GC. It's too bad they ran a story like this...because it's going to get everyone excited for nothing.

Although details for the already announced berthing facilities are still being hammered out, he assured attendees that they would be developed with due consideration for the port’s medium to long–term cargo operations.

“Berthing facilities will take us to the next and ultimate level in cruise tourism,” he said.

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1016654

The new terminal area is this big fenced-in concrete area for tendering (at least that's what we saw). I have no idea about the shops that aren't open. There are no shops in this area. All you have to do is leave the terminal area and all the shops in George Town are right in front of you. I wonder if they somehow got the info on Cozumel and Grand Cayman mixed up a bit.

I looked around on the Caymen Net News site a bit, but couldn't find the article that the SF paper was quoting. I really can't imagine a Cayman paper would get something as large as a cruise dock wrong.

Sorry, I have lost the link, but in doing some online research on another topic, I came across an article stating that a new cruiseship pier has opened in Grand Cayman that can accomodate large cruiseships. It stated the pier opened September 22.

Anyone have any info about this? I would think that this would be big news!!

They lie like a rug. It is a tender pier that was finally "officially" opened, even though it has be used off and on for a year and a half or so.

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1010777

To me it looks more like they didn't take the time to really read what's going on in Grand Cayman. We see that all the time in our local paper and on the news. They seem to only get half the facts right...and that's the problem I have with the media. They don't get their facts right and they wonder why we question what they are reporting.

LOL...Lie like a rug! That they do.

Seems all are realizing that the port rumors were truly just that. I had worried a few weeks ago that I'd have a tough time being at excursion point when required (as it had earliest departure of all those offered), but I actually got there with time to spare, as the tenders serving Carnival held a lot of passengers, and were quite "zippy". Plus, I always enjoy having the opportunity of getting that picture of my ship, totally surrounded by water, that is only available at tendered sites. (Personal tip: If the weather looks even a little bit like rain, use your oldest shoes while in GC. The drainage system around the dock gathering area is non-existent, and if it rains enough, the water will be above your ankles in some places you can't avoid)

Archived