To Tell or Not To Tell?

Hangman

Here is my question I use a wheelchair sometimes. Let me explain I have had my (L) knee replaced three times and might need the other ® one replaced so I was given a wheelchair to use. Being not that old I only use it to go long distances like shopping malls the grocery stores other than that I use a cane or crutches. I have a manual ridged frame that means it does not have push handles and will not fold I can take the wheels off and the back folds down that is about it. I just booked a cruise for Mexico for seven day on the Pride I did not tell them I use a chair or cane or was disabled because I did want them to say well the least expensive rooms are booked and we only have the more expensive rooms available also I am not sure if the disabled rooms have enough for four I am taking my boys with us they are 11 and 13. I also don't what to take it if it will take up too much room in our room. All I can say is Help me with this dilemma I bought the lowest price room does this mean if I get an upgrade that if I tell them I am in a chair I will not get one? Thank you.

To answer your question, others may know better, but I don't think there's a reason to keep the information from Carnival. They won't forbid you from booking a room in any available cabin that you're willing to use. You might consider seeing what they have available that has a wider door so you can bring your chair, or even see if you can reserve one of theirs that would more easily fold. When my husband was going through chemo, he often needed a chair on a cruise ship because the distances could be too tiring for him, so we either brought our own or arranged ahead of time to borrow one they keep on board. I would also suggest you try to find a cabin as close to the elevators as possible - though I know the selection of rooms that hold four is more limited. I do know that Princess has wheelchair accessible rooms that fit four passengers.

Best wishes,

Mia

I am also booked on the Pride in April, and my parents will be joining us. My mom has spinal stenosis, and uses a walker and a wheelchair for longer distances. My parents had initially booked an oceanview room, thinking my mom would just bring her walker. When I talked to her more about just how big the ships are now, she started thinking more about her need for a wheelchair. When they inquired about handicapped-accessible rooms to accomodate the wheelchair, they said that they cheapest available cabin that would accomodate the wheelchair was an obstructed view balcony. This was 7-months out. My parents decided to pay the difference (I can't remember if she said it was $100 or $200 pp), to upgrade to that room.

I'm certainly looking forward to joining them on their balcony;) (me, hubby and DD have booked an inside guarantee, so I certainly understand about getting the cheapest available cabin). I think the biggest difficulty you will have is the SPACE the wheelchair will take up since it doesn't fold, although I hear of people stashing their luggage under their beds, so maybe with the wheels off, and the back folded down, the chair will fit under a bed:confused:

I would definitely call Carnival and ask about available handicapped cabins that will accomodate 4 people. They certainly can't FORCE you to upgrade to one, and at least you'll have the information!

Good luck and have a great cruise! When are you going?

Gayna

My question would be, with it being non folding, is it narrow enough to fit through that door. If it isn't, they won't let you keep it in the hallway. I would suggest borrow from friend or rent one that does fold so you aren't forced to upgrade. If it doesn't fit through door, they may force you to :confused:

Thanks guys I thank you guys very much for your help on this. I am calling them to ask it won't hurt. I just don't want to lose anything or have to spend more money but like you guys say I don't have to take it right. See you on the Pride in April.

I am pretty sure that there is no reason you would be asked to spend more money...you might have to come up with other solutions (like bringing a folding wheelchair) but you wouldn't be forced to upgrade.

Archived