Coral Princess/Panama Canal

Miami Native

Hello Everyone. I have been reading the boards for months and I was hoping that someone might give me some info on the partial canal transit on the Coral. I have booked mini suite C706 for March. Would C726 be better?? If anyone can tell me about the room, weather and any info, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

I have the exact same cabin booked for the same cruise april 5 2008. From a person that also had the cabin, seems we picked a good one. Partially covered balcony and bigger balcony than other cabins. It is near the back deck and she said she had great views from the cabin thru the canal. There is a photographer on the locks that takes pictures of you on your balcony when u are going thru the canal. Heres a link that shows alot of the balconies done by a cc member who reviews the decks, cabins, etcCoral and Island Princess Balconies

I've done this trip twice - once 1st week of April, once last week of January. Weather was similar both times - 70s-80s, warmer and more humid in Costa Rica and Panama. Occasional rain showers are common "down south" so bring an umbrella or raincoat. It can rain hard for 10 minutes and then be sunny and humid for the next 4 hours - it's rainforest territory, after all. Your cabin location is probably fine. We've been down below you on Emerald and it's a good spot for going throught the canal. When in the canal, walk out to the stern to see the lock gates close behind the ship. Very cool. If you have any other specific questions, ask away; you might also check the roll call board for your sailing. There are usually at least a couple of "repeat customers" in those threads, since Coral's such a terrific ship. You'll have a great time!

Cheers,

Kirsten

Miami, I have also been on the Coral twice; once a partial transit in the month of Feb. and just this past May did a full transit. Just be prepared for the weather at the Canal. It can get very humid. More so for us in May, not too bad in Feb. Since you are going in March it might not be too bad. Also in Costa Rica we did the Eco-tour of the Tortuguero Canals. It is an amazing excursion. Check that out. While going through the canal be sure to go up front of the ship on the Baja and Caribe decks. There is a door that is for crew only but they do open that door for passengers on canal day. It is also great viewing at the aft of the ship too.

Marilyn

There's also an aft deck very close to your room with loungers. We enjoyed being there during our Glacier Bay Alaska day.

One deck down, on Dolphin, the suites have the same size balconies as Caribe but are FULLY covered. I really was wishing we were there on all our rainy days. We were on Caribe and the half covered balcony doesn't give you all that much protection from the rain and it's impossible to keep the chairs and table dry.

We had D717 on the Coral last January. The covered balcony was really useful since it was raining when we went through the canal. the large covered balcony allowed us to have a balcony breakfast and keep dry (provided we didnt sit really near the edge). Hot and humid is a good description of the weather throughout the trip.

The cabin is very near the stern and the only disadvantage I found was that we had a senior with us who was a slow walker and it took forever to get to the dining room! If the airline hadnt lost our wheelchair it would have been much easier.

Archived