id for kids

kraz4micke

Can anyone tell me what kind of id I will need for my 8-year-old. Just a birth certificate? We will be traveling on the Legend in September. Thanks for your help. These boards are great. Any more comments about Camp Carnival would be greatly appreciated also.

[font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=3][color=red]My daughter is now eleven and has been cruising with us since she was 5. All we have ever taken for her until this past cruise was her birth certificate. The last one was the first time we all had passports.[/color][/size][/font]

We used birth certificates as well, but we're getting passports for our kids before our next cruise in April.

When returning from Mexico on the Pride, the agent asked our 9 year old what were her parents first names. I was kind of suprised - it was weird! We asked him if a passport would be better for the kids and he said that in today's world, it would be better for them to have the passport. DD2 will be 2 in October, so we're waiting until the first of the year - her looks will change less after 2. Teeth and all! :)

birth certificate is only doc required up to age 16. 16 and older you must also present a photo I.D. (driver's license, school I.D., or state issued I.D. such as for non-driving adults)

I carry both photo I.D. and passports for everyone (kids included). If you take your dd's birth certificate you need the original one with the raised seal. I would rather carry a passport because in my opiniion, it is so much easier.
Happy Cruising!

United States citizens need at least one of the following

• A passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years)

• An original birth certificate and photo I.D.

• A state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the

Department of Health and Vital Statistics and photo I.D.

• A U.S. Military ID (no dependent IDs)

• Valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa, if applicable

• Aliens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must have a valid unexpired passport

• Original Naturalization papers

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older, must provide an official photo I.D. It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, Permanent Resident card, birth certificates, etc.) be identical to those on the cruise and airlines tickets. If not, proof of name change (i.e., a marriage license) OR a valid driver’s license or government issued photo ID (i.e., U.S. Military ID) must be presented.

A passport is ALWAYS your best bet and WORTH the expense. Remember they are good for 10 years! It's not only the best way to prove your identity but, if something truly unexpected happens, it is also the best way to prove your citizenship. You can even get the forms online [url]http://travel.state.gov/download_applications.html[/url]

Tina from NJ

Archived