Did You Like Doctors Cave Beach?

5sailingeagles

I am trying to decise what to do for my family of 5 kids are 18,13 & 11

My DH just wants to relax, me too.

I am looking at Doctors Cave Beach BECAUSE it looks like we can snorkel and Take a bus to the beach. Any info on the beach or the bus or a better beach that we can take the bus to would be great!

Many thanks;)

This is our first cruise and I have a good time, all on my shoulders:o

Doctors cave beach is in Montego Bay Jamaica, not Cayman Islands.

I do like Doctors cave beach in Jamaica, it has food, drinks and nice big bathrooms, the beach is clean and safe, Margaritaville is a few minutes walk up the street and there is a great waterslide and water trampolines for the kids.

Doctors cave beach is in Montego Bay Jamaica, not Cayman Islands.

I do like Doctors cave beach in Jamaica, it has food, drinks and nice big bathrooms, the beach is clean and safe, Margaritaville is a few minutes walk up the street and there is a great waterslide and water trampolines for the kids.

Thanks for getting me straight;) I am new to all this as you can tell. Glad you told me I would have been looking for a bus In Jamacia (scary) or asking the bus people in GC where this beach was, and that would have been very bad. Ha Ha :)

Do you know how far of a cab ride this would be? How far of a walk would you guess to Margaritaville? Also what is the cost for the toys?

The wrong location for my question might help me get some attention. Good or bad We will soon find out!

Thanks Again

I would take a taxi from the pier to Doctors Cave, it's less than a 10 minute ride, you can see the ship from the beach, it makes for some great pictures. Margaritaville is about a 3 minute walk from the beach and your kids will have fun! When the taxi driver drops us off at the beach we just ask him to pick us up at Margaritaville at a certain time to take us back to the ship and they have always (in 4 trips) been waiting for us.

Oh and Margaritaville is free, including the slide, spa and trampoline.

We have taken our kids there for years, i think they were 6, 14 & 19 the first time.

If you want to stay close to the ship in Cayman Islands you can go to Eden Rock, there is great snorkeling and within walking distance so no need to pay a taxi. when you get off the tender, walk down the street to your right, its less than a 5 minute walk, you will see a dive shop and it is right there, there is a small sandy area with chairs and the ship will be anchored directly infront of you.

Wow I really want to thank you for the great information. Very very helpful I like the link great photos of the beach and the shade.

When you snorkel how do you stay together? (WITH KIDS)

Any place to rent stuff at cemetery beach? We wont have life jackets, but we will have our own snorkels, should we rent them at Edens rock? If so can we take them with to cemetery beach as long as we return them?

Thanks AGAIN;)

Those pics are pre-Ivan, so not sure how much shade is still there, but there should be some.

No rentals or anything at Cemetery. I bring my own gear, but you could rent from one of the two dive places at Eden Rock. You might have to leave your sail and sign card or ? as a deposit, so make sure your return the gear. I might check prices and collateral required at both.

The ships used to rent snorkel gear but its been about 5 years sense i rented so i don't know if they still do or not, you may want to check into it, we found that buying the snorkel gear, in the long run, is cheaper than renting.

Keeping track of the kids...we usually try to stay together as much as possible but always, one wonders off (not far) and i have to get them back with me, i have to just keep poping my head out of the water and scanning the area for a body check. Just tell them where their limits are and how far out they can go, also when they are out snorkeling, atleast 2 of them have to stay together. (just my rule)

• 1 month later...

Just found out that my sister in law and her husband are going to loan us vests and snorkel gear:) That will save is a bunch. Another question about Cemetery beach. Do you remember if you can get anything to drink with in walking distance? I have a soft cooler I can pack in case there isnt. Also did I read that if we wanted it is possible to follow the beach and walk back to the peir?

Thanks Again!

Walking back to the pier from Cemetary Beach is out of the question. It is about 6 or 7 miles!

Reference the map at this page: http://maps.caymanlandinfo.ky/ArcIMS/AtlasPages/gcpage11.pdf

Cemetery Beach is near the bottom of that page. Follow West Bay Road north and you will se a Foster's Food Fair building in orange. This is a supermarket. A little further along is a four way stop where you see the number 28 in a yellow circle. There is a Subway restaurant there.

(The full island map can be seen at http://maps.caymanlandinfo.ky/imagemapfiles/gcindex.htm Cemetery beach is in box #11. The tender piers are box #29)

Cemetary (beach) on Seven Mile is nice, but...

If I were going to beach it, I go to Rum Point and Cayman Kai beachs on the other side of the island (by cab, or rent a car for about $50).

Seven Mile is getting the "uglies" of over development IMHO whereas Rum Point has everything you want with a nicer ambience.

Got them mixed up:o any info on Cementery Beach would be great.

Or taking a bus to any other public beach that would have safe snorkeling.

Thanks AGAIN

Anywhere you go in Grand Cayman is safe. Just use the same caution you would use anywhere else. Jamaica is another story. Go with an organized group and don't wander off anywhere on your own.

IMO, you really need to take a cab to 7MB. It's quite a walk. You might consider Sea Grape or Royal Palms. Both offer chair rentals (or you could just put your towel down on the sand), food, water toy rentals, and restrooms. Royal Palms is closer to the port area. I don't know what snorkeling is like at either of these places.

Rum Point is beautiful. But the day we were there, it was packed. It's still worth the drive over there. It's so tropical and "islandy" compared to the 7MB stretch. 7MB is overdeveloped and is losing it's quaintness. It's too bad, because it's a nice area. Just too many cruise ships on any given day and too much developement.

• 7 months later...

Hey Caribbean dreams, seems you are somewhat of a professional "cruiser". I was just online double checking my booked excursions and getting maps and such and accidentally stumbled onto this site. SO I read a lil of the postings and saw that you were very helpful in making suggestions for 5sailingeagles so I thought I might try my hand at getting some free tips and answers for myself. I hope you don't mind.

I am 43 yrs old and am taking my very first cruise in August. I am so nervous and yet excited at the same time. Its allot of opposing emotions I'm trying to handle at the moment. Maybe you experienced that with your first cruise. Maybe not. :-)

At any rate, I figured I might as well do as much researching as I can so as to calm my fears as much as possible before we set sail.

We have excursions planned for 2 of our stops but as for Montego Bay we thought we'd play it by ear and kinda come up with our own touristy stuff to do. We'll of course spend some time on the beach but I saw info on Doctors Cave and thought that might be fun since you said its within walking distance and lots of folks are saying how nice it is. Do you know if there is a map of the actual port where the ship will dock so I can get an idea of what all is around it?

Would you say Doctors cave is a good place to venture to to? Are there any local places between the port and Doctors cave that would be cool to check out?

And as far as my BIGGEST fear...."hurricanes" have you been booked on any of your cruises in hurricane season? Our trip is from Aug 26 to Sept 2nd so I realize that IS the season for bad weather. Have you had any bad experiences with bad weather on any of your cruises? Please be honest with me even though this is my first time. Hell we already have everything booked and paid for so theres no backing out now so whats it going to hurt to be completely informed of what to expect? enu_8094237", true);

I only just now realized the dates on the messages.

This is the first time Ive been on this site and am unsure of how to work it and didn't realize. It took me a few minutes but I was able to find a thread relating to Montego Bay and have posted a message there. I hope someone will reply. There are allot of messages there that state Jamacia is dangerous and that tourist have been jumped and attacked. I HAD NO CLUE! Needless to say I'm a little nervous at this point. Guess I'll wait to see what if any replies I get.

But thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Enjoy your first cruise too!! :-)

I too plan to visit Doctor's Cave Beach when I am in Montego Bay next month. I read that you can take a taxi (not sure the cost) or join a shuttle bus (around $12 I read somewhere) I much prefer to walk if possible. However, the more I read about Jamaica it is not the place to try any walking. If Doctor's Cave is close I imagine a taxi is not too expensive.

I too plan to visit Doctor's Cave Beach when I am in Montego Bay next month. I read that you can take a taxi (not sure the cost) or join a shuttle bus (around $12 I read somewhere) I much prefer to walk if possible. However, the more I read about Jamaica it is not the place to try any walking. If Doctor's Cave is close I imagine a taxi is not too expensive.

Ive been doing some checking and on a "Montego Bay" thread that indicates that Doctors cave beach is about a 10 min drive from port and costs about 10 dollars so we will be taking the cab. But we also plan to WALK to Margaritaville which is only about 3 miles or so down the beach. Ive read allot more people saying that they havent had ANY problems in Jamacia then of those who have so I am not as leary as I was before. You just need to be aware of your surroundings and be alert just as you would in any big city in the states. And probably a good idea to be off the island fairly early too. I think those tourist that were attacked were out roaming around after dark, but I'm not positive. At any rate we plan to be back at the ship by 3 or so.

Hope you have a great time visitng in Jamacia. I know I'm looking forward to it. (smile)

Ive been doing some checking and on a "Montego Bay" thread that indicates that Doctors cave beach is about a 10 min drive from port and costs about 10 dollars so we will be taking the cab. But we also plan to WALK to Margaritaville which is only about 3 miles or so down the beach.

It's not 3 miles to Margaritaville, it's just a few minute walk.

there is a small charge to get into DC beach.

There are stores along the way to buy trinkets.

Although i feel MB is not as bad as everyone says, i have seen stabbings in the middle of the day, walking down the street to Margaritaville, it was locals not acts against tourists.

Hey Caribbean dreams, I am so nervous and yet excited at the same time. Its allot of opposing emotions I'm trying to handle at the moment. Maybe you experienced that with your first cruise. Maybe not. :-)

yes, i fet the same way you are feeling on my first cruise, i was very nervous but as soon as you see that ship and get on board, all the emotions will go away

Do you know if there is a map of the actual port where the ship will dock so I can get an idea of what all is around it?

Not much, a port shopping area is all, you will have to take a taxi to get to any other shopping. Just google "Montego Bay map" and plenty should come up.

Would you say Doctors cave is a good place to venture to to? Are there any local places between the port and Doctors cave that would be cool to check out?

I think DC beach is very safe with showers and clean bathrooms, there are shops along the walk to Margaritaville, it will only take you a few mintes to get there from the beach.

And as far as my BIGGEST fear...."hurricanes" have you been booked on any of your cruises in hurricane season?

I have only cruised during Hurricane season due to my kids school schedule, as a matter a fact, i just got back late last night from my Liberty cruise, i have never had anything but beautiful weather, sometimes rain but it passes.

If the Captain feels the port will be unsafe, he will get you to another port out of harms way BUT always buy the travel insurance just incase your cruise is cancelled or you are delayed because of a storm.

the best site to purchase it at is insuremytrip.com, it will give you quotes of many different companies and them you pick the best policy for you.

The people that were attacked in Jamaica were not roaming around after dark, they were on a ship's sponsored tour - on a bus.

Anything can happen - anywhere. Jamaica is okay, I've walked around on my own plenty of times, but you do have to realize you are not in Kansas. I think the Jamaican people are among the most brazen when it comes to begging and pestering the tourists. We're on vacation and don't want to see desparate people. Some of the people are simply trying to make a living and are very nice, but the problem is you never know, they come at you so fast.

This is one port where you don't want to play it by ear, especially if you are a newbie. They will target you specifically. Have a plan.

Thank you for the info. My boyfriend and I have decided that Doctors cave beach is where we will head right off the ship then take the short walk to Margaritaville to check it out and then back to the ship fairly early. We will both be very conscience of our surroundings though. Better to be safe than sorry.

Glad to know the weather isn’t so turbulent just because its hurricane season. You aren’t the first to say they haven’t had any problems. My hairdresser told me yesterday she just got back last week and it was as you said rainy but that was mostly it. It was her first trip too.

Thanks again for the feedback!

I have only cruised during Hurricane season due to my kids school schedule, as a matter a fact, i just got back late last night from my Liberty cruise, i have never had anything but beautiful weather, sometimes rain but it passes.

If the Captain feels the port will be unsafe, he will get you to another port out of harms way BUT always buy the travel insurance just incase your cruise is cancelled or you are delayed because of a storm.

the best site to purchase it at is insuremytrip.com, it will give you quotes of many different companies and them you pick the best policy for you.

Thanks again! Good to know the weater isnt so bad afterall. We had our travel agent round us up the insurance so that is taken care of.

We are really looking forward to the cruise and I can hardly wait!

Thanks again!

San Antonio Gal,

I left a post on the thread, where you concerned about your safety in Jamaica. You need to read it, then look at the 17 robbed thread.

Do some research on Jamaica, it is the MURDER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.

Don't listen to just these people, google search Jamaica Crime yourself. Don't make the same mistake we did.

Please. I am one of the robbery victims.

Archived