Did You Like Doctors Cave Beach?

5sailingeagles

Do some research on Jamaica, it is the MURDER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.

While Jamaica has a high crime rate newer studies have revealed that violent crimes against vacationers in Jamaica are indeed rare occurrences, the vast majority of murders are crimes by Jamaican nationals against Jamaican nationals.

Kingston has the highest crime rate while Montego bay, some neighborhoods are subject to cerfews. These events usually do not affect tourist areas.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1147.html

And i guess you should never visit Los Angeles either because the PD has issued warnings:

" The Los Angeles Police Department has begun a program to warn tourists to be wary of muggers, pickpockets and other assorted thieves and assailants. The police are particularly sensitive about crimes against tourists because of the huge influx of visitors."

While i understand you are bitter about your experience, you should not put down a whole country because of a stupid act of a few people.

There are many crime free areas of Jamaica, especially on the north coast, most resort cities are relatively crime free.

This is my first cruise and in fact my very first excursion from the US at all and I have to tell you that I find myself on a roller coaster ride of emotions about the stop in Jamacia.

I see postings that people have gone and had no problems and in recent months in fact. And then there are other postings that say just the opposite.

I am horrified about the robbery that took place againt the 17 tourist recently and all those that have occured before and after. I'm sure those people never expected that anything would happen to them. Especially being in a large group. But it did. Thank God no one was killed.

So I sit here and read the different postings and am torn as to what to do. While I want very much to be abel to say that I visited Jamaica and even more to be able to take pictures at the famous Margaritaville, there is no site seeing events more important than our saftey. So what do I do? Stay aboard the ship or take my chances?

I realize serious crimes are committed every day here in the states and as I live only about an hour from Houston (one of the worst cities for murder rates) I manage to go to and from the city without any incidents thus far. Will I be that fortunate in another country? Who knows?

A part of me wants to say "TO HELL WITH THE PUNKS THAT TERRIZE WE TOURISTS AND KEEP ALLOT OF US FROM ENJOYING THAT PART OF THE CRUISE", and yet another part wants to say 'DONT BE STUPID, BE SAFE AND STAY ON BOARD". But then I keep asking myself "why would a cruise line continue to stop there if it is so terribly unsafe for us"?

I guess what I need to know is, "has anyone had any problems with the areas of Doctors cave beach and Margaritaville? I have no excursions planned because of the siuations happening there but hoped that by sticking close to the port and not wondering too far off the beaten path might be ok.

ANYONE that has anything to report in these specific areas...good or bad.....please post them. My trip is scehduled to set sail in a couple of weeks and I want to have an idea of how I will approach the port of Jamacia.

I'm glad this forum is here and that people take the time to post their feelings and experiences. So thanks to all for that!

San Antonio Gal. :)

"has anyone had any problems with the areas of Doctors cave beach and Margaritaville?

I have seen things happen but nothing tourist related, like i said earlier, most of the crime is Jamaican vs Jamaican.

If you get dropped off at DC beach, it is all gated and secure with many passengers off the ship enjoyng the beach.

The walk from DC beach to Margaritaville is only a few minutes and there are shops along the way. Once at Margarittaville, you are secure, 1/2 the ship will be there.

There are a few venders up on the top story that may annoy you to buy something or get you hair braided....nothing else is going to happen to you.

If you get off the ship scared of the Island then you are going to have a miserable time, just watch whats going on, same as you do when you visit Houston.

Enjoy Jamaica, it water is beautiful.

I have seen things happen but nothing tourist related, like i said earlier, most of the crime is Jamaican vs Jamaican.

If you get dropped off at DC beach, it is all gated and secure with many passengers off the ship enjoyng the beach.

The walk from DC beach to Margaritaville is only a few minutes and there are shops along the way. Once at Margarittaville, you are secure, 1/2 the ship will be there.

There are a few venders up on the top story that may annoy you to buy something or get you hair braided....nothing else is going to happen to you.

If you get off the ship scared of the Island then you are going to have a miserable time, just watch whats going on, same as you do when you visit Houston.

Enjoy Jamaica, it water is beautiful.

Thanks for the reply. My BF & I have been talking about it and we agree that as long as we are aware of our surroundings and dont venture out onto the island alone we should be ok. I really want to visit margaritaville and am really excited about the trip. Just 21 more days until we set sail!! (smile)

We've already spent a ton of money on casual clothes, new luggage and things like that but we havent shopped for formals yet. I sure hope this trip is worth all the money we've spent on it. I'M SURE IT WILL BE! I AM VERY EXCITED! JUST 17 MORE DAYS!!

Just my 2 cents worth on the island... we have been there numerous times on cruises. It is not some place that I would go wondering off alone, but I do not fear going off on organized tours. I find the people there to be more aggressive than other places, but I also know how to say "no thanks" and keep on going if I am not interested. I also stay very aware of where I am and who is around me if I am just walking around an area. Bottom line, just be careful. We have had some wonderful tours there and seen some beautiful places. Would I go there on my own for vacation? Probably not. Would I stay on the ship and not experience it? Definately not. If you stay on the ship and not experience the islands that you go to, you might as well do a cruise to nowhere.

Archived