Secrets of Puna - Would it be possible to drive there on our own??

ZipLine

Hello fellow cruisers, :)

Would anyone be able to help me out on this one? :confused:

We have rented a car in Hilo and are planning to make the drive to the Volcano. I wondered if on the way back we would have time or even if it is possible to stop at the Volcanically heated pools that I believe are in Pualaa Warm Pools Beach Park? Hwy 137??

I would really appreciate the help here and if it is possible some good directions. ;)

Thanks,

Zipline....Can't wait until Nov.3

Not sure what timeline you are talking but you surely can drive puna on your own. I recommend the Revealed Guide for The big Island to give you complete maps and directions. It was a highlight of our own vacation and recommend it to our guests.

Hi Suebee,

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Our time line is 1 day... we are on the POH and dock in Hilo just for the day.

I have heard about Puna, not totally sure if it is on our way or If we are allowed to even go to the pools. The volcano is a must and if we have time we thought we would try and stop at the heated pools.

WE CAN'T MISS THE SHIP :eek:

VNP *can* take up the entire time if you let it. It's possible to go to Puna and see the pools as well but you would probably short-change yourself on time at the volcano. I'd say go to VNP and see what time you feel like leaving. And if you have time, you can try to drop by.

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/big_island_maps.html

You can see Hilo on the east side, VNP to the southwest of it, and in the far southeast corner Puna.

Spleen

We had hoped to get to Puna also on our one day in Hilo. However, after thoroughly touring VNP (we were, literally, the first folks off the ship that morning and got our rental car very quickly as Thrifty Blue Chip members), we made the decision to drive to see Akaka State Park (great falls and natural beauty all along the way), Banyan Drive, Rainbow Falls, PeepeeFalls and the Boiling Pots which left us no time for the drive to Puna. If we go back we will definitely go there, but there is just not time to visit EVERYTHING near Hilo and do VNP any justice at all

Archived