Barbados Pre-cruise hotel

Kwaj girl

there is a couple the sailors use

here is a post from Pinkie

Blackbird,

I've flown into Bridgetown several times. It's really quite easy going from the Airport to the Cruise Pier/Port.

If you decide to fly in a day early or post night I can recommend a small

family owned hotel. It's not a 5* but a most comfortable, very friendly AND reasonably hotel on the beach, named Coconut Court Beach Resort. Some of us stayed here year before last. We had a wonderful pre-Pride cocktails/dinner party on the terrace. The hotel also has a car/driver that will pick you up at the Airport and transfer you to the ship the next morning.

Martita B.

.....and I'd be happy to entertain further suggestions just in case one or both have no availability by the time I'm able to confirm the cruise. If sailing time is 11pm, what will boarding time be? Brochure says "The ship generally will be available for embarkation two hours before the scheduled sailing time..."

I doubt any hotel would offer "late check-out" THAT late. ???

Kwaj girl, I'm not sure if they would have any openings, but you might check this place out. I have never stayed there, but on Travel Advisor, it gets very good reviews (the most recent person who stayed there thought it a little stark, though).....however, you can't beat the price. I was planning on the Hilton until I figured four nights at P&Q was less than ONE night at the Bridgetown Hilton. I booked an extra night, since it was so inexpensive, so I could use it as a "day room" before I board on my Dec. 2 cruise from Barbados (which also leaves at 11pm!).

Good luck!

Jane ;)

Kwaj Girl,

I have reserved a room at the Coral Mist for the 15th. The room has A/C and the hotel is on the beach. The rates are low since high season doesn't begin until the 16th (the next day). It has a sister hotel, the Blue Orchids, next door. Hopefully Paul will provide a good report from his stay there two weeks earlier! It is supposed to be a US$15 cab ride from the airport so it shouldn't be too far.

I took the same cruise last year and stayed at the Hilton which is gorgeous and 5*. Its rates are much higher this year so I decided to look around. If they lower their rates I may stay there once again since I enjoyed it so much and it is no more than 10 minutes from the port. It was a US$20 cab ride from the airport if I recall correctly.

N.B. I would be hesitant to stay anyplace in Barbados without A/C. Last year it was a bit humid and there were mosquitos at night. It was nice to have a balcony, but even nicer to come into the cool!

The port at Bridgetown has a small enclosed mall which should keep you entertained for a 1/2 hour or so. We were allowed to board by 1:30 but once on board we waited about 45 minutes in the show lounge before the ID/key making process began. There were no lines. A steward gave out punch (champagne on request) and walked us down front when they were ready. After we got our ID/key we were taken to our room and our bags were already there. High tea was served at 3:00 and the lifeboat drill was around 5:30. The dress code the first night was casual (no jacket).

I look forward to meeting you on board.

johnny

I'll probably post about the Coral Mist once on board, but it will, no doubt, be a little late for reservations 2 weeks later! :D

And, Johnny's right: the "season" changes on 12/16; my $102 studio becomes $170...but that's the islands for you!

I chose the Coral Mist because of the beach location, and the "creature" comforts it offers that the P&Q didn't...mainly, A/C & a phone. Really don't care about the phone, but expect the A/C might be "handy". The P&Q seems to have a really exclusive restaurant, but the CM has one (probably tied into it's sister hotel), so I won't starve, or miss my morning coffee, at least! (From what I read on TripAdvisor, the restaurant almost swayed me to try the P&Q, along with SantaAna booking it! :) ) In the end, I opted for air conditioning. Just call me a wuss!!! :eek: ;)

Paul

I'll probably post about the Coral Mist once on board, but it will, no doubt, be a little late for reservations 2 weeks later! :D

Paul

Correction ... Hopefully Paul will reasure me that the hotel is superior to the Bolongo once on board;)

And save some champagne for those who have to wait two additional LONG weeks for their vacation to begin!

johnny

there is a couple the sailors use

here is a post from Pinkie

My family and I have stayed at the Coconut Court. We found the location to be great. We had 2 balcony rooms overlooking the beach. We all agreed that we would stay there again sometime.

Correction ... Hopefully Paul will reasure me that the hotel is superior to the Bolongo once on board;)

And save some champagne for those who have to wait two additional LONG weeks for their vacation to begin!

LOL! (What a memory! :D ) (It looks like it might be a "little" nicer; I'll let you know!)

Champagne-saving? Is that some excursion I haven't read about yet? Doesn't seem to make any sense at all to me.....

Mwaa-haa-haaaaa!

Paul

Just kidding, of course...I'll make sure there's one bottle, somewhere....But I'm more concerned about BlackBird leaving some.....

. If sailing time is 11pm, what will boarding time be? Brochure says "The ship generally will be available for embarkation two hours before the scheduled sailing time..."

I doubt any hotel would offer "late check-out" THAT late. ???

LOL it's not that bad... I just got my docs yesterday and boarding time is 3-4 in Barbados....

:)

31 days...........

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times over the last several years and enjoyed it. It is not too large and it has always been quiet and relaxing at the lovely pool area and the beach. It is located on the beach between the airport and the pier and has been upgraded each time we've been there and the prices were quite reasonable. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, there is a restaurant poolside for lunch, a swim-up bar which is always fun and a polynesian restaurant as well. There is also a business center and a small workout room.

Their website is:

http://www.accrabeachhotel.com/

Last year we stayed in the Hilton the night before. The next day after check-out we left our luggage with the bell captain and hung out by the pool. If you ask they have a "hospitality" room that they will let you use for 1/2 hour sometime before you leave to shower and change. Make sure to ask for the room early!!! There is only one and once all of the 1/2 hour slots are full that's it. The Hilton is newly rennovated, quite nice, and an easy ride to the ship.

This year we are coming in on embarcation day (due to scheduling problems). We have never flown same day before. I am a little nervous but I am sure there will be no problem (keep telling myself that anyway).

For those coming in the night before, I can heartilly recommend "The Cliffs" restaurant for dinner (make sure to get a waterside table). It is not quite as nice as the old "Carambolla" but it is very relaxing and gets you in the perfect mood for the cruise.

My husband and I are booked on the 12/9 Barbados cruise. This will be our first Seabourn Cruise! We are arriving on 12/3 and have booked a room at the Coral Mist from 12/4-12/9 and then again the evening of 12/16.

It appears to be a great location, withing walking distance of restaurants & grocery stores and right on a beautiful beach. I'm looking forward to the Oistins Fish Fry on Friday night! The rates are very reasonable and it got very good reviews on Trip Advisor.

43 days and counting until we leave for Barbados!!!!

Nancy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I came upon this thread and wanted to set the record straight about Peach and Quiet. I left a review on Trip Advisor which was apparently so honest, the owners got miffed and replied to it! Granted, P&Q is one of the most beautiful properties I've ever seen, but I will never go back for two reasons: no A/C in the rooms and I was eaten alive by mosquitoes. In their "management response" the owners chided me for not asking them for a fan for the room. Are you kidding? Moving around sweltering air would not have solved the problem. They also have no screens on the sliding glass door, so when you close it at night to keep the omnipresent mosquitoes at bay, the only thing keeping you alive is your ceiling fan!

Unless you've got a room fronting the ocean, forget it.

I did love the Hilton...which of course is as much for one night as P&Q was for four nights! But you know the old saying...and it's still true!

Jane

We stayed at Peach and Quiet for 5 days (non-cruise vacation) and had a GREAT time. It wasn't luxury, but the owners (husband and wife-- Adrian and Margaret, I think) were awesome. The rooms did lack AC, but the breeze and the open windows were great. I admit, I am a pretty big "cleanliness snob" when it comes to hotels, but my husband (boyfriend at the time :-) convinced me to stay here. Even if the rooms were a bit basic, they were clean, and the natural surroundings of the hotel were beautiful. If you do stay there, eat dinner at the hotel one night! Adrian cooks it, and Margaret serves it, and it was the best food we had on the island. I would definitely recommend P&Q, though I initially resisted staying there before our trip. I have heard they have undergone renovations too (we almost had our wedding there...), so I am sure it will be great!

Yes, yes...it's very nice. However, if you don't have those ocean breezes, you get a room that is stifling. And I'm not the only reviewer (on TripAdvisor) who commented on it. I think it's important for people to know what to look out for!

• 2 months later...

Archived