Fixing the Oosterdam

bigred12

John--

Is that from the last gay charter???

(Dam, I miss all the fun...)

;)

What gave it away Brian? the poodle or the color? (not that there's anything wrong with that;) George from Seinfeld)

I'm sorry ... but I look at that picture and all I can think of is, "That's one gnarly hemorrhoid there!" :eek:

What do you think Jim? Too much for Prep H?:)

Lisa, what did you try to post? All I'm seeing is a large announcement that you tried to steal some photograph from another web site.

I know this is strange, my DH called me from home, he uses Explorer to go into CC while I use AOL at home and work. He is getting the same strange message, yet I always see the picture. I just used the same search engine I always used under images, just like many of us do:confused: If someone does not want the picture used they should not post on the internet or they should block it from being copied or put a copyright across the picture.

FYI those of us on the 10/14 cruise each received a letter from Captain van der Waard in our staterooms upon embarking. He briefly explained Azipod propulsion in layman's terms, and that the port Azipod repair would not be completed on this cruise. Also he mentioned that the US Coast Guard and Netherlands Shipping Directorate were aware of the situation. He also noted the speed reduction to 18 knots.

In his spoken announcements the Captain specifically mentioned that the manufacturer of the propulsion system could not resolve the problem.

Kudos to the Captain and officers to get this information out on the table immediately. Unless your shore excursion was affected the inconvenience was OK. Each guest received $25 OBC. Then there was no need for any further communication on the issue.

Impacts we noticed

1. Tendering into Cabo was somewhat chaotic with longer than expected waits. I hope the crews on ship and shore get the new itinerary figured out.

2. The scenery approaching Cabo while wide awake in full 11am daylight was awesome. Be on deck to enjoy it if you cruise before it's fixed.

3. We had dinner on the ship instead of in town due to the early departure from PV. Even so, we weren't the first ship out. Norwegian Star left almost an hour ahead of us. But there were long lines to exit the city due to package inspections by local authorities who weren't prepared for the number/timing of people heading for their tenders (4 ships in port).

4. Our dinner table in the Vista was rather close to the starboard pod. LOL, the glasses rattled from the vibration on the first night. The crew apprently noticed, and this was much reduced for the remainder of the cruise.

I didn't see a lot of engineering activity upon docking Saturday, at least not from the outside of the ship.

Thanks for the update ZooCrew,

Sadly I been in that situation a few times at work when the manufacturer says they can’t resolve the problem. It’s kind of a helpless/hopeless feeling, but something always gets figured out to fix it (usually more down time and money though…).

John

(T-34 days and counting, no docs or cabin yet:o )

Is it just me or is it starting to look like the Oosterdam will cancel a cruise and head for drydock for major work on the azipod?

No, it's not just you! We are on the Oct. 28 sailing, which is a full ship charter. The following week another charter. Maybe a fixing miracle will occur on the present cruise.

Bev

Is it just me or is it starting to look like the Oosterdam will cancel a cruise and head for drydock for major work on the azipod?

No, I’m thinking the same also. Just got a feeling she can’t keep going on one pod for the whole winter. I wonder how she will do this week with trying to avoid the Hurricane?

John

Wow, thats too bad, was hoping they'd be able to fix without a drydock but thats not looking good. They are probably going to have to secure drydock space somewhere soon, probably after the two charters.

Wow, thats too bad, was hoping they'd be able to fix without a drydock but thats not looking good. They are probably going to have to secure drydock space somewhere soon, probably after the two charters.

If they in fact must take her into Dry Dock my guess it will not happen till December. First because the manufactor of the azipod has to ship make and ship a new one to where ever she may go into dry dock. That could take several weeks. Then these next two weeks that are charters and Thanksgiving week and Christmas week are big money makers and the ship is totally full. The price being paid for the holiday week cruises is much higher with a lot more revenue to be lost. The two week just before Christmas are not yet sold out and the prices they are offering is very good. Chances are they would wait till then if they must take her into dry dock. My statement is strictly speculation based on commen sense but we also know the Big Corporations seldom use commen sense. Or at least what we see as commen sense they could have a whole different plan in store:o

LAFFNVEGASQuote:

Originally Posted by fcorey

If they in fact must take her into Dry Dock my guess it will not happen till December.

I hope they get it fixed in the most reasonable way possible, if you are correct about a wait until December (we are on the December 2nd sailing) I hope that they will make a decision as soon as possible so that anyone who is impacted can make alternative plans. I think most people would understand but I think there would be a great deal of anger if they wait till the last minuet.

I would hope there would be some kind of compensation for cancelling my December 9th cruise, if thats the week it happens. Even if it is just a shipboard credit.

The January cruises seem to have pretty low prices and lots of availability. Not sure if they could wait that long but if the decision were made soon before they begin to fill, there will be less disappointment for their customers.

Archived