Naval Dockyards--is it worth going?

Kristine Keates

[quote name='Kristine Keates']We are cruising to Bermuda and docking in St. George. I want to do some shopping and wonder if the shops (Craft Market, etc) in the Dockyard are worth the trip. Or can I find the same merchandise in Hamilton?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
[color=red]Yes, it is worth going to the Dockyards as you will find things there you will not find in the towns..the craft market can have some great finds,the glassblowing also has some unique items, as well as the pottery area.The other shops can have the same items as in town,but over the years we have been going there sometimes there is just that one thing you find...It is also a unique area by itself.Enjoy.[/color]

and also the Rum Cake Factory is in the same building as the Glass Blowing and you must sample these cakes (the small shop in St. Georges is just not the same).

Trimminghams and the other main shops have a smaller selection by the merchandise is good - stuff we a least like to purchase. I love the shops in the Clocktower.

Go to the Dockyard museum and you can watch the Dolphins, climb up the hill to the Commissar's house for a fantastic view.

The ferry ride is a attraction in itself.

I totally agree with Jeanne S.

Make sure you take the high-speed express ferry from Hamilton that makes the sound-crossing to the Dockyard in 20 min. And make sure to go outside when it kicks into high gear and approaches 40 knots! What a trip!

[quote name='smeyer418']the 7:15 ferry back to the Dockyard is NOT one of the new ferries and the 9:45(last one) is the slow boat to every middlesex village and farm. and there is nothing in between...[/QUOTE]
[color=red]Maybe true,but the ferry can be very relaxing, and it is quite pretty at night.We use them all the time.There is always the bus,but not sure what time the last one goes back to the DY's.The fast ferries do have a limited time they run.There will be a schedule posted.[/color]

But they stop at 6 or so....so you don't have time for dinner. The last "express' leaves hamilton at 7;15. The next ferry is 9:45 that doesn't arrive back at the dockyard until after 11....hence the slow boat to the Dockyard...

Archived