Cozumel Evenings

cdillon23

November 16 is on a Thursday, so there are no functions you would be able to enjoy like the Sunday night live band at the gazebo in the main plaza.

I always like to recommend my good pal, Tony Rome's Embassy restaurant. He has some of his serving areas open again and you'll not find a friendlier guy on the island; we call him the Ambassador.

The main bars will be pretty void of the tourist we have during the day, i.e. Carlos n' Charlies and Sr. Frogs. Try Viva Mexico also on the waterfront or Tequila 1.5 after your dinner.

Thanks for the reply IslandJim. I looked at 1.5 Tequilla on the internet and it looks like a club. I am not much of a club person. Is there a quiet place to get a drink after dinner?

EDIT--I just read my initial post, no wonder you mentioned the clubs, you answered exactly what I asked. Sorry, I need to do better at my question lol.

Actually "outside of bars" should have been taken to mean activities "apart from going to bars", so you asked correctly and I answered like a drunk. LOL And, I don't even drink (any more).

It's too bad you won't be with us on a weekend when the locals tend to have more personal time and organize functions.

Here is a good restaurant guide from the local government's official site.

http://www.islacozumel.com.mx/eng/act-dinning.asp

For the most part, Cozumel is laid back and evening entertainment for tourist is the bar sceene, i.e. Carlos n Charlie's sort of stuff.

After dinner you might want to go someplace at the edge of town like Mezcalitos West (not to be confused with the beach club Mezcalito's) and enjoy a tropical drink and Cozumel's very famous sunset. The colors are extraordinary on clear days.

Stolls along the beachfront opposite side of the commercial stores where you can hear the light spalshing sounds of the water lapping the shores, even wade a little. Grab a capachino or another toddy along the boulevard. There will generally be a few local musicians playing for tips in the plaza if you like that taste of local music and culture. The main plaza is a great "people watching" place also.

It's a quiet little island generally speaking.

El Manati restaurant has recently re-opened - it's a small historic Cozumel building and they've made a great job of remodelling. Food is delicious too. Their website will be coming soon here: http://www.elmanati.com.

Reason I mention it is that on Thursday nights they have Aquino - a well-known local trombonist - playing with his band there. They play Cuban/salsa/latin jazz - highly recommended. Aquino is brilliant, I think he's played in the past with the likes of Ry Coodr (Buena Vista Social Club connection).

If your boat leaves at 11pm you won't be able to see it all, but I think they start playing around 8 or 9pm so you may be able to catch some... you can just have a drink and a snack if you don't want a full meal.

Ian

El Manati restaurant has recently re-opened - it's a small historic Cozumel building and they've made a great job of remodelling. Food is delicious too. Their website will be coming soon here: www.elmanati.com.

Reason I mention it is that on Thursday nights they have Aquino - a well-known local trombonist - playing with his band there. They play Cuban/salsa/latin jazz - highly recommended. Aquino is brilliant, I think he's played in the past with the likes of Ry Coodr (Buena Vista Social Club connection).

If your boat leaves at 11pm you won't be able to see it all, but I think they start playing around 8 or 9pm so you may be able to catch some... you can just have a drink and a snack if you don't want a full meal.

Ian

Thanks Ian, this looks pretty cool.

Great! Sounds like the island has claimed another victim LHP! :)

It's something to do with the Mayan spirits, you know...!

Ian

I was hooked from day one all those many years ago. We have been coming as a family since 1998...but oh those single days back in the 80's (what happens in Cozumel ...stays in Cozumel!!!) There used to be a Studebakers' (or something like that) right across the street from the old tender pier downtown. The name is fuzzy...then but everything else was too!!! LOL

There used to be a Studebakers' (or something like that) right across the street from the old tender pier downtown. The name is fuzzy...then but everything else was too!!! LOL

Was it "SCARAMOUCHE"? I have a few fuzzy memories from that place as well! :eek:

paradisecozumel

Archived