Another Stingray Attack!

I'm not saying domesticated Sting Rays at Sting Ray City are as dangerous as those swimming in the wild. All I'm saying is ANY wild animal is dangerous. Even the ones described as docile and harmless.

This is correct to say any wild animal can be dangerous. Even dolphins have been known to attack people in captivity. National Geographic just did a story about Dolphin Encounters that went terribly wrong about 2 months ago. As I'm booked to swim with them in Bermuda I was a little surprised to say the least but it is true even if in captivity they still retain natural instincts and people need to be aware that there are no guarantees dealing with a wild animal up close and personal. There will always be a risk something can go wrong. I still plan to do my dolphin excursion and I am aware of the risks. It's the same with stingrays. There are numerous sting ray strikes every year but to date only 3 people of record have actually died. For some reason people took only 3 deaths to mean it's only happened 3 times and that is incorrect. Scuba divers encounter them constantly and many have been hit by barbs on the legs and feet and there are special scuba booties to protect you. Regular water shoes do not as barbs are razer sharp. I don't care how tame people thing they are if you step on one or startled it, a sting ray will defend itself. As they bury themselves in the sand it is impossible to see them which is why people get instructions to shuffle their feet on the ocean floor but despite this, accidents happen and people step on them. There is always a risk when people are very close to these beautiful creatures either in captivity or in the open ocean. When you enter the water with any marine life you are in their world plain and simple and there is a hierchary and a pecking order like with all animals. Some facilities file the sting ray barbs down when they are in captivity to lessen the severity of a potential strike. :o

I heard last night on the local news that the man is in very serious condition and will go through a lot pain and suffering before he recovers completely...with two patched holes in his heart.

My wife saw a ray jump out of the water next to the MOS while docked in Nassau; it is a natural act. Unfortunately, the man was in the wrong place at the wrong time. A part of me wanted to think that this was revenge of the rays for the revenge of the humans after Irwin's death! It's just nature....like my cat scratching me when she is freaked by something else (only much more serious).

Heard on the national news tonight that the man was stung when he tried to get the stingray out of the boat. Don't think they attack but will act defensively if they feel they are in danger.

Exactly! - this fact has hardly been mentioned. Hope the man will pull through okay.

I am doing the Stingray swim in G.Cayman for the second time on our cruise next week. Can't wait! It was wonderful last time. If anything, maybe it will be less crowded. :rolleyes:

We have swam with the Stingrays a few times and I suppose I'll look at it as a been there done that thing.

People say that the Rays are familiar with the hundreds of people that are out there daily, but I used to always joke about the "NEW STINGRAY IN TOWN", and maybe he doesn't know the rules yet.....lol.

While on Enchantment in April we were leaving Key West and we had gone to the Windjammer for something to eat when for some reason I happened to look out the window and saw a very large Stingray leap out of the water. It had completely launched itself out of the water. For what reason.......unknown. At that time I did not know that they could do that being the bottom dweller that that mostly seem to be.

This year has been a live and learn thing about Stingrays.

For anyone who plans to swim at Coco Cay in the near future. When we were there a couple of weeks ago not only were the infamous jellyfish present, we also saw a shark, a barracuda and sting ray all swimming in shallow water. Literally right up to the beach. It certainly got my attention as I spent the rest of the day exploring the Island on dry land. :)

Years ago my husband was in a boat in Sarasota bay and a giant ray jumped up out of the water right next to his boat and then did a "belly flop" back into the water. He was told they do this quite frequently to try to get the barnicles and remoras off. I can see how easily one could accidentally get into a boat. I dont think these rays are attacking humans. It is more like being in the wrong place at the wrong time--kind of like being struck by lightening. With all this in the news I dont think my 13 year old will ever swim in the ocean again.

Archived