safe after dark?

rodbrod

we will be in san juan dec 18 2pm-10pm I plan on taking a taxi to san cristobol until it closes. it will then be dark. was wondering will it be safe for family of four to walk back to the ship. i am assuming it is, but wanted to just make sure thanks so much

It's the same as the US.... Just be aware of your surroundings and have a great time! We walked around several areas of the city and felt no safety issues at all. In fact, they have ALOT of police out and about in the Isla Verde area. I noticed them more there, but I'm sure they are all over.

It is safe, more in that time of the year because there are many people walking from plaza to plaza to see all the Christmas decorations.You are going to keep walking around at night I assure you:p Its going to be beautiful enjoy!!

We walked all over old San Juan for 2 nights precruise..... lots of police but like previous poster said.....just be aware of whats going on around you and stay to the main streets..... no alleys or dark ones ;) just like anywhere else......

San Cristobal is a very short taxi ride and you can get there just about as fast walking. We went their on our first cruise, because we didn't realize there are 2 forts in town. The next time there we went to El Morro and liked it much more than Cristobal. El Morro is the one that is in all the San Juan posters. If you don't dawdle, you could taxi to El Morro, see it, and then hustle down (or take a taxi) to San Cristobal. Here is a great map of Old San Juan.

About feeling safe after dark: We haven't felt unsafe at all, but we stay on the beaten path.

Have a great time planning your cruise!

Hello rodbrod,You have received excellent advise, the only thing that I can add is to check with some of the tourist board endorsed tour companies , you can find them at www.***** click on sightseeing and then on expert.

If nothing comes up, feel free to take a walk just like your fellow cruise ship passengers but visit the Don Q rum store for a complimentary drink............old san juan best kept secret

thanks for info, will go to el morrow. this might sound dumb, but are side streets and alleys easy to tell from bigger main streets. both my kids took years of spanish and they want to use their skills and check the sights in old town thanks to all

thanks for info, will go to el morrow. this might sound dumb, but are side streets and alleys easy to tell from bigger main streets. both my kids took years of spanish and they want to use their skills and check the sights in old town thanks to all

Actually that is not a dumb question..... all the streets in old San Juan are small.....mostly one ways (traffic-wise) and cobblestone..... but yes you can pretty much tell the alleys from the streets.... they are even smaller. :D You can usually find the street names printed on the sides of the bldgs on the corners (but not always) as there are no street "signs" that we saw.

As for Spanish.....I hardly used it at all....most people speak English very well.....

.....and El Morro is a good choice.... we enjoyed it very much. Spent one whole morning there.

thanks to all, but since we will be in port from 2pm to 10pm I was wondering if we would be able to go to el morrow, take taxi back to pier, go on board for dinner, we have early dinner, and then go back to go through town. not sure if we want to do this, just wanted to know if it makes sense?

Well can't really say since we don't know what ship and which pier you will be docked at......

If you are docked at old San Juan piers - you can walk back to the ship....don't really need a taxi from pretty much anywhere in old San Juan. It is only about 15 square blocks

see this www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp to get your bearings.

If you are at Pan Am pier - it is located on the other side of the u shaped harbor and requires a taxi ride to everywhere.

My suggestion is to take a taxi to El Morro and then walk back down (down being the key word here) thru old San Juan to the piers in old San Juan. If your ship is docked there you are back - if not you can go to the Sheraton Old San Juan (right across from the osj piers) and catch a taxi back to Pan Am pier as they are plentiful at the Sheraton. Not sure I would bother getting back off after dinner. If your ship leaves at 10 you must be back on board by 9:30 sharp..... if dinner is at 6:00 to 8:00 not much time......

thanks to all, but since we will be in port from 2pm to 10pm I was wondering if we would be able to go to el morrow, take taxi back to pier, go on board for dinner, we have early dinner, and then go back to go through town. not sure if we want to do this, just wanted to know if it makes sense?

Most (if not all) ships that dock for the day do so at the pier at Old San Juan. Your plan would work out well. I do suggest though, that you take a taxi TO El Morro and then come back down through OSJ. El Morro is up on a hill, and it is a lot easier to walk down that hill than up it! You would have time to go there and walk back down through OSJ and get to the ship for dinner, and then go back out after dinner to the places you missed.

Archived