Question about crusing out of Galveston....

Fun~N~Sun

Galveston is the only place I have sailed from but I cant see what that would have to do with the cruise. Only advantage I could see with Galveston compared to a Miami is that it is much easier to get around in. It is really a small town but quite a fun and beautiful island.

Hey there....there are two Carnival ships that sail out of Galveston....Ecstasy and COnquest....wife has been on Ecstasy....we have both been on COnquest..and have both ships booked again for future trips...now....never been on anything other than a Galveston cruise......so I cant really compare...BUT.....I CAN say that there was not a lot of country music on board.....there was some of everything....it is very laid back..but still people dress up for formal and wear whatthey are supposed to in the dining room.....but its a very friendly "everyone knows everyone" atmosphere....i like it

Fun/Sun -:confused: I don't know where you got your information, but that is not what I experienced on a very recent cruise on the Conquest out of Galveston...just a few weeks ago.

The passengers, their dress and manner, were like any other cruise I've been on. I mean, it wasn't a shipload of rurals or cowboys, if that's what you mean.:D I can barely stand country music, and although there was 'some', the music in general was about the same as any other cruise.

I don't be knowen about all dat Hick Muszac but I'll tell you little Lady we simple leave our Horses and Wagons hitched outside the Dock with a bale of hey and a little water ...

Them pardners at the Boat place look after my horses purty good even had one of my Mares Breed while she was there...

Got us a nice Paint filly out of that cruise....

I know not to take gifts from the ships general store to the rap party I tell you dat right now dem fellas look at me sum kind of funny like!

and even be dum tok my favorite straw hat....

John Boy

I HAVE sailed out of many other places...including Galveston, Miami, N.O., San Juan, etc....and there is absolutely nothing wrong with Galveston at all. Its not Country...its normal...just like any place else!

I wasn't insinuating there was anything wrong with it. I was looking for a cruise with country "island" music. Kenny Chesney, Buffet, Beach Boys, etc. Had a bad experience with the music and atmosphere on my last cruise due to where it sailed from and was just exploring my options.

I don't be knowen about all dat Hick Muszac but I'll tell you little Lady we simple leave our Horses and Wagons hitched outside the Dock with a bale of hey and a little water ...

Them pardners at the Boat place look after my horses purty good even had one of my Mares Breed while she was there...

I know not to take gifts from the ships general store to the rap party I tell you dat right now dem fellas look at me sum kind of funny like!

John Boy

Whatever! I don't get it.

John Boy

I get it and a funny "John Boy"

Sun, I have gone out of other ports and I'm sure that Galveston is no different. Just because that it is based out of a TX port, you will just have a lot more Southern Hospitality from your fellow passengers ;)

I get it and a funny "John Boy"

Sun, I have gone out of other ports and I'm sure that Galveston is no different. Just because that it is based out of a TX port, you will just have a lot more Southern Hospitality from your fellow passengers ;)

Absolutely. Texas is known for our friendly people. And no, we are not all a bunch of country music lovin hicks.

I just returned from Conquest today. Wide mix of people from everywhere.

No country music on Conquest but a very good band called Blood Power. Not to be missed. Very talented group of musicians.

Just got back from the Ecstasy and there was a good mix of music, just depending on where you were on board. On the 4th night they did a show called "Extreme Country" which had some traditional country, a little contemporary country, and some patriotic. Not much of what might be called "island country" except up on the Lido deck and maybe some of the clubs. It was a wonderfully relaxing cruise and a fantastic ship and crew.

We've sailed 2 cruises out of Galveston (CCL Elation and CCL Celebration) and 1 from Houston (NCL Sea). We leave again from there in 2 wks on Elation. We've also sailed from a variety of other home ports including New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, Ft Lauderdale and San Juan. Have never noticed the TX cruises having more of a "country" theme. Typically one night in ONE of the bars there would be a few hours of a country themed music, but that's been on most ships we've sailed regardless of the home port. Since this was typically only in one bar there were plenty of other options if you prefer.

Give Galveston a try.....it's a quaint town to sail from!

Absolutely. Texas is known for our friendly people. And no, we are not all a bunch of country music lovin hicks.

I just returned from Conquest today. Wide mix of people from everywhere.

No country music on Conquest but a very good band called Blood Power. Not to be missed. Very talented group of musicians.

I second that comment! Born and raised in Texas all my life, and proud of it, but no cowboys here on this end of the ship :) I agree that the only thing you might notice out of the ordinary is our hospitality; Texans do know how to extend a friendly smile and a "Hello"!

Hope you enjoy coming to our state; we homegrowns love it!!

Just got back from the Ecstasy and there was a good mix of music, just depending on where you were on board. On the 4th night they did a show called "Extreme Country" which had some traditional country, a little contemporary country, and some patriotic. Not much of what might be called "island country" except up on the Lido deck and maybe some of the clubs. It was a wonderfully relaxing cruise and a fantastic ship and crew.

Thanks for the info and glad you enjoyed your cruise. My whole point to this post was that I think the music really sets the mood and atmosphere for the cruise. We had a really bad experience with this on our first cruise and are just trying to avoid that again. We have always wanted to visit Texas so we are thinking we may be able to "kill two birds with one stone" if we decide this is the cruise for us. We checked out the air fair and it is only $40 more pp to fly to Texas vs Florida and the cost of the cruise is about $20 cheaper so that is not an issue. I just have two more questions about the cruise from Texas concerning the itinerary. First I am not sure about have two days at sea right from the get go. Actually, I kind of like it but my cruising partner may think otherwise. The second thing was I was wonder about the Jamaica port; Montego Bay vs Ocho Rios. One other thing that I tend to like about the Texas sailing too is the Conquest. It seems like a great ship.

We've been out of most of the East Coast Ports as well as LA and sailed the Conquest on 8 Oct.

As our Matre'D (sp) cited on the last night of our cruise, the Conquest Consitently scores at the top of the "end of Cruise Survey results." We didn't see where the Conquest service or ship condition was better or worse, yet we agreed this was our best Carnival Cruise yet. So I do think the passenger make-up has something to do with it. If e-Harmony were to match up Cruise lines and cruisers, its a good bet they would match up Carnival and folks who are within driving distance to Galveston. Its simply easier to have fun with folks who are having fun!

We found Galveston very easy to navigate, it had many Hotels that cater to cruisers, it was not over-crowded, and very reasonable. We were extremely glad we decided to spend two nights before our cruise in Galveston. It more than made up for the messed-up embarkation and debarkation (be ready for that).

Thanks for the info and glad you enjoyed your cruise. My whole point to this post was that I think the music really sets the mood and atmosphere for the cruise. We had a really bad experience with this on our first cruise and are just trying to avoid that again. We have always wanted to visit Texas so we are thinking we may be able to "kill two birds with one stone" if we decide this is the cruise for us. We checked out the air fair and it is only $40 more pp to fly to Texas vs Florida and the cost of the cruise is about $20 cheaper so that is not an issue. I just have two more questions about the cruise from Texas concerning the itinerary. First I am not sure about have two days at sea right from the get go. Actually, I kind of like it but my cruising partner may think otherwise. The second thing was I was wonder about the Jamaica port; Montego Bay vs Ocho Rios. One other thing that I tend to like about the Texas sailing too is the Conquest. It seems like a great ship.

You usually spend the first day getting acclamated to the ship. The second day we always found to be more relaxing.

I've been to both Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. I liked Mo-Bay better than Ocho. However both ports were fine. I do recommend scheduling an excursion in Jamaica though.

The Conquest is a marvelous ship. You'll really love her. And Texas too!

I was on the Conquest October 8. It was a great ship, and the experience was very nice. However, after chatting at Paradise Beach with a passenger from the Rhapsody, I wish we would have taken that ship instead. This is mostly because they went to Key West instead of Jamaica, and they didn't have the two sea days back-to-back.

Not that I didn't enjoy my cruise. It's just one of those things I wish I would have thought through more.

I may be the one the most recent experience, May out of Galveston and September out of Miami...

As I stated in my review, I had heard a lot about the relaxed atmosphere out of Galveston and that jeans were acceptable anytime... well the Galveston crowd was a much more formal dressing group than the Miami cruise. Never in my life have I seen so many jeans in the dining room on the Miami cruise, as well as shorts and swimwear - the dress code was dead on my Imagination cruise in September. The Galveston crowd was one of the finest group to sail with ever!

Of course those may have been both anomalies, but they were my experience - both cruises were awesome! How people dress would never affect me, just observations for those that care...

I like to think us Texans are a nice friendly bunch :) Only been out of Galveston, so I am not much help with a comparison. Galveston is a small town that you can't get lost in....Conquest actually does some Mardi Gras stuff since it came to us from New Orleans. The Ecstasy has the Country show, but also does a night party with the island type music (steel drums and such). I love them because to me that is what beach music is supposed to be! As for Montego Bay, Sunset Beach is wonderful if you are looking for some place to go. Email me at kporter25@sbcglobal.net if you have specific questions. Do not wander in Jamaica, definitely make plans there.

Archived