our cabana experience

heymom32000

We were on the Oct 14th fantasy sailing. Dh and I stopped at the excursion desk as soon as we got on board. I think it was around 12:30-1pm. We were the 2nd cabana rented. We chose the green and were very happy with it. We wanted to be away from the crowds and that's what we got. We went in with another couple that sat at our table for dinner.

When we got to the cabana there was only 2 float and 2 snorkles. I walked down to the rental/info cabana and they were quick to provide 2 more...actually they just handed me 4 more sets of snorkles so we had 2 extra sets. Also we never had anyone come down to see if we wanted any drinks from the bar. There were workers set up ever so many feet with cold beer but no bar orders. About halfway through our day the power and water went out. It happened to everyone my dh found out after walking down to the info cabana. It took them about 5 minutes to get it all back on. Sure was glad when that a/c came back. *grin* We had 3 lizzards visit us while we were in the cabana. Got pictures of them.

While snorkeling off the shoreline dh found lots of sand dollars. I saw a small stingray and quite a few fish. So everyone be sure to remember to shuffle your feet in the sand when you walk in the water. Would hate for somebody to step on a stingray.

The food served was good. Sure wish they offered BBQ Ribs but the jerk chicken was yummy. The salsa was pretty good as well. Bar service is limited on the drinks served. Dh and I both got a miami vice. It was refreshing to drink while walking back to our cabana.

Feel free to ask any questions. Half Moon Cay was sooo beautiful and relaxing. I could have spent 24 hours here.

Michelle

Here are a few more

ourcabanawithcurtaindowninternet.jpg

foodincabanainternet.jpg

To the left of our cabana

halfmooncaytotheleftofcabanainterne.jpg

To the right of our cabana

halfmooncaytorightofcabanainternet.jpg

My dh's boss said if you hike to the right, past the horse, and past this rocky area you will come to a wonderful spot of snorkeling. We did not do that though...would be quite a hike.

It was a bit of a walk from the green cabana so if the terracotta one is farther down the beach then it's a good distance to the food. We did not try to bring our lunch back to our cabana like we had planned because of the distance. There are covered places to sit and eat over where they're serving so we just found a spot there to eat. We never had any carnival employees come down by our cabana for food or drinks.

It was a bit of a walk from the green cabana so if the terracotta one is farther down the beach then it's a good distance to the food. We did not try to bring our lunch back to our cabana like we had planned because of the distance. There are covered places to sit and eat over where they're serving so we just found a spot there to eat. We never had any carnival employees come down by our cabana for food or drinks.

Thanks for the reply.. Do they take you to the cabana to star with so you don't have to walk? My husband has a hard time walking long distances. Thanks for the info.

we got the van to take us at first as we didnt know how far it was> we had the purple one. That wasnt too far to go and they set up a little bar right ourside our cabana.

we walked to get food and broght it back as it was very nosiy around the food area. I like the more peaceful nature of the cabana.

karon

• 2 weeks later...

This is our first cruise to the caribbean. We have the purple cabana reserved. I was wondering what you do with your stuff if you want to go horseback riding, etc.? It's just DH and myself. What is to stop someone from just walking up and getting a coke out of your frig, or deciding to eat their lunch there while you are gone. How do you handle that? Would love to know past experiences. I've seen some post stating other people just walked up and used their showers. Any info would help.

Thanks, Shirley

there are some type of canvas "flaps" you can pull down over the front of the cabana.

there is also signs on the front of it that says private property(or something similar)

maybe make up a sign of your own that says trespassers will be shot?

We shared our cabana with another couple and neither of us went far(their snorkel trip was cancelled) so we didnt experience any unwanted guests.

I dont know why carnival dont make mention of them being private in their capers etc.

enjoy your time in your cabana

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any restrooms? The cabana sounds like a good idea. How did you rent them before your cruise? Our cruise does not have any excursions listed for HMC or Grand Turk. Everyone has said which color cabana they have rented, how did you choose this? I would not have a clue. Thanks for helping.

We just got back from having the Terra Cotta Cabanna. The Island was beautiful and the cabanna was great. However be prepared not to get any service. There is supposed to be one attendent for every three cabannas but we were never asked once if we needed anything. It wasn't a big deal but unless you have the butler upgrade remember you are on your own.

Sandy

Are there any restrooms? The cabana sounds like a good idea. How did you rent them before your cruise? Our cruise does not have any excursions listed for HMC or Grand Turk. Everyone has said which color cabana they have rented, how did you choose this? I would not have a clue. Thanks for helping.

We've not been to HMC before, but here's info that I've read here at CC...

Here's Ziggy's pictures. Scroll down the page, and you'll see three different groups of photos that contain pictures of HMC. She also has a map (although I think there are a few more cabanas now than when she posted this).

http://community.webshots.com/user/ziggy638

There's isn't a restroom in the cabana. But, there is a restroom near the turquoise cabana (which is why we chose the turquoise one).

We're on HAL, and you can rent the cabana prior to the cruise. If you are on Carnival, you have to rent them once you are on the cruise (I'd go to the tour desk as soon as it opens). If you're on HAL, you can add on the butler service, but if you're on Carnival, this isn't an option. IMO, I'd think that both HAL and Carnival would operate the same and have the same options...but it appears they don't. It seems so much easier for everyone if they'd put the Carnival cabanas online and allow early reservations.

As for the butler package, part of the reason we added this on was because the cabana guys seem hit and miss (like the previous poster stated). Sometimes they are awesome, and other times I've read that there're nowhere to be seen. I did read a few that a few years ago, the cabana guys would go to the BBQ and bring your lunch to the cabana. They seem to have ended that practice.

I noticed that things were added to the online excursion list a little at a time. Just recently, excursions were added to two of the ports. It would seem to me that they'd put them online at the same time, but for whatever reason, they didn't for our Zuiderdam cruise. I'm clueless as to why they do it that way.

We chose our cabana because it's close to the restroom. I also have arthritis in my knee and I have a hard time walking in the sand. I've read where some people have chosen the cabanas farther away from the main area so there will be less people sitting in chairs in front of the cabana. Having the turquoise cabana, I know there will probably be a lot of people around it, but we wanted to be close to the restrooms. Also, there is only one ship the day we will be there. If there had been two, we probably would have rented one of the others ones...a bit farther up.

• 1 month later...

It is possible that because you were in the Terra Cotta and it was far down the beach, you may not get service.

But, it is true that the butler service gets you pretty good service. And that it also depends on who your butler is. Our first trip we ended up with our dining room asst. waiter. In that situation you can be SURE to get good care. This past Nov., they switched to waiters from the Pinnacle. You would think that it would be a bit better but not so. Good, but not spectacular.

It is possible that because you were in the Terra Cotta and it was far down the beach, you may not get service.

But, it is true that the butler service gets you pretty good service. And that it also depends on who your butler is. Our first trip we ended up with our dining room asst. waiter. In that situation you can be SURE to get good care. This past Nov., they switched to waiters from the Pinnacle. You would think that it would be a bit better but not so. Good, but not spectacular.

On Carnival, when you go to the excursion desk do they show you a map of the location of the cabanas before you choose which one you want?

Also, we will be 2 adults and 3 children (8, 5 and 2 1/2 yrs) do you think we would be charged an extra $50 for the 3rd kid ??? is it possible that we could just book it for 4 of us, given that we'd be holding our youngest dd on our lap on the tender anyway!!

:D

Archived