Juneau excursions

We just got our documents for the 8/11 sailing of the Mariner and I have a dilemma. Since our travel agent is a Virtuoso agent, we are entitled in Juneau to a full day Auke Bay excursion. I believe it is quite similar to the whale watch. However, if we do this, we will not be able to go to the Mendenhall Glacier, which I had planned to do by helicopter. Obviously one is free, one is not, but I don't want that to affect my decision.

This what I have signed up for so far. Maybe some of you could give me your opinions on which I should do:

Sitka - Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest
(I figured we could do the raptor center and church on our own)
Tracy Arm Glacier Quest
Skagway - Icefield Flightseeing and Dog Sledding
White Pass Scenic RR
Ketchikan - Misty Fjords Seaplane Adv.

Thanks to all of you who answer. I promise to do the same when I return!

The Whitepass Scenic RR is fantastic - do not miss this. Also the seal and whale watching in Sitka was wonderful. We were very lucky and saw six whales circle feeding. I cannot comment on the helicopter trip to the glacier because we kayaked in Auk Bay and saw lots of seals, and eagles. I am glad that we did not see any whales on that tour. Have a wonderful time - so far Alaska was our favorite cruise.

I'm not sure exactly what is available to you, but when in Juneau 2 years ago, we took the greatest excursion we've ever had on any cruise. We helicoptered up to the Mendenhall and went ice trekking on the glacier -- about a 4 to 5 hour trip all told. A bit pricy, but well worth every cent. If its available, do it. BTW, although its not for the immobile, its not nearly as demanding as it sounds. Go, you'll never forget it.

We have done Auke Bay whale quest twice, and were wonderful, but 1/2 day seems enough. What were they going to do for a whole day?

Your overall excursions choices are outstanding. The only question is if they are too outstanding! When we cruise we tend to do extensive "big" excursions at about 1/2 the ports, and then shorter low key excursions at the other half, to allow more meandering at port and less exhaustion...

As for Mendenhall, I enjoy the (short) leisurely walk up to it and exhibit, but I would not be too sorry to miss it in favor to other choices in Juneau. The other poster is correct that more extensive excursion involving flight to glacier is more interesting, but I would not want to miss the whale quest if they conflict... Hope this helps more than complicates.

Thank you to everyone that took the time to reply. I think we're going to accept our free excursion and not miss the whales! I recognize that we've picked quite a few excursions but I think we'll still have time to walk the ports and relax. I am looking forward to our two days at sea as well!

The Tracy Arm small boat ride was the highlight of our cruise - don't miss it. We saw whales on our way back to Juneau after we left Tracy Arm. The Raptor Center and church can easily be done on foot for many dollars less. The railroad is a 'don't miss' in Skagway - we went kayaking then took the train down the pass, which was great fun - although my wife and I don't kayak well together!

Enjoy

Archived