Go San Francisco Card

winesfine

We are going to be in SF at the end of Feb (2007) and are "thinking" abour purchasing the Go Card for 2 days. We are definitely going on the wine tour (Sonoma) and one day poking around Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square and stuff. The 3rd day we plan on doing an evening at Alcatraz, which isn't including in the card. I'm not sure what we will do with the 3rd day.

I would love to hear anyone's recommendations and their opinion of the Go Card.

Happy Cruising!

Maxsboubie, I found this info by googlin SF. It sounds like a good deal if you plan on seeing specific attractions/landmarks. I sent an e-mail to the company asking if the % off coupons for food and other "stuff" is available even if you only purchase a 1 day card. They confirmed that the coupons are good for the year as long as you show your card. Hope that helps.

Hopefully, some SFers will let us know if it's worth while or not :)

http://www.gosanfranciscocard.com/

It is a good value only if you already planned on doing some of the things that they offer. Another alternative is the CityPass and that includes a cable car and MUNI pass along with admissions to various attractions.

http://www.citypass.com/city/sanfrancisco.html

Be sure to make your reservations for the Alcatraz tour becuase they sell out quickly. There has been a change in the provider of the transportation to Alcatraz Cruises it used to be Blue and Gold Fleet.

https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/index.aspx

I would suggest figuring out your itinerary and adding up the costs to see if there are any savings by purchasing any card instead of just paying as you go. I don't really think that the additional deals and savings that the Go card advertises will actually be substantial.

Enjoy your time in the Bay Area!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I live just south of SF and go there several times a year.

I always recommend taking the antique fire engine tour. It goes all over SF, over the GG Bridge, thru Sausalito and back again. Not many people can say they've been over the GG Bridge while sitting on top of an antique fire engine.Just the ride is great but you also get a very interesting commentary while you're at it. You must have reservations !! You will have a ball !! www.fireenginetours.com I have been on the tour three times and would go again. When you take the Alcatrz tour, be sure to get the audio tour. It really helps bring the prison alive. Otherwise you're just walking around an old building.Be sure to dress warmly! It's cold out on the water. Dressing in layers is always a good idea in San Fran no matter what the time of year. If you like political satire, the musical play "Beach Blanket Babylon" is a must. The characters all wear these fantastic enormous hats. It's very funny and very adult.You can buy tickets on line. Another neat thing to do is go check out the newly refurbished ferry building. It's full of cool little shops and restaurants.There is a small park just across the street from it that seems to always have a craft fair there on the weekends. Also , on the week ends there is a farmers market behind the ferry building . We bought fresh pastries and juice while we waited for the ferry ticket office to open. We then took the ferry across the bay to Sausalito. The R/T fare is nominal, you get great views coming and going AND the little artsy town of Sausalito is very cute, loaded with shops and has THE best hamburger joint. BTW, after you have done Pier 39, a good place to grab a bite is the Boudin Bakery which is in a round building sort of in the middle of the parking lot down towards Fishermans Wharf. The restaurant is upstairs with a decent view of the wharf. Downstairs is their bakery , gift shop and museum. Their sour dough bread is wonderful !! For dinner we really like A.Sabella's which is almost directly across from Fisherman's Wharf, on the "dry side" of the street. The restaurant is on the third floor (??) of the building so you have a good view. The food is very good and not outrageously expensive. In my opinion it is MUCH better than Scoma's which people may recommend. We found it to be crowded, noisy and waaaay, WAAAY over rated.

This ought to give you several ideas. I will check back to see if you need more info.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and visit to SF, Monterey Girl

Archived