Power for Hair Dryer Question on the Spirit

Randy Flagg

Hi everybody, I know this questions has been addressed several times but I was wondering if there had been any changes lately.

Apparently, there is quite the power issue in the staterooms on the spirit. My DH is worried that her fairly high-powered hair dryer is going to blow the circuit. My question is has anybody tried using a hair dryer recently? My understanding is the the wiring is set up for 220 but there are only a couple 110 outlets. I was wondering if I used a 220 to 110 converter would this help the hair dryer work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'll repeat you can use a dual voltage hair dryer sold at many retail outlets throughout America. Buy an adapter, plug the 110 into the 220 adapter into the 220 outlet, switch the hair dryer to 220 volts, and use it. I have found these dual voltage hair dryers in every store that sells them.

The other option is to use the unpowerful hair dryer provided. Do not use your hair dryer on the 110 outlet. There is the chance you'll blow out the circuit.

The problem is that the Spirit was built for the Asian market. It was wired with smaller gauge wires suitable for the Asian 220 volt market. It seems the only household item that uses too much wattage in the American market is a hair dryer, most using 1800 watts.

If you have long hair using the cabin hair dryer will take longer than normal. If your hair is fairly short, then the cabin dryer works just fine. You may want to take a power strip because the cabins don't have many outlets (for camera battey recharge, etc).

I used my own high powered dryer at the desk in the bedroom area without any problems. I beleive the outlet in the bathroom is just for shavers, etc.

I read this before my July cruise and thought okay no problem but in our cabin it did not work blew aa breaker or something and ended up having to deal with the ship dryer.

I think some cabins are okay and others are not.

Thanks for your responses.

Electricon: So I guess the best bet is to get one of these dual voltage dryers at a walmart or something and use it on the 220 outlet to be sure.

My DH does have have quite long and thick hair. I would hate for her to have to spend a ton of time on our vacation blowing her hair.

We just got off the crown and it was the same thing. I brought along my own dryer and used it in the bedroom (tv plug)... The dryer in the bathroom is hysterical looking. My b/f asked me "what the heck is this for "... It looked like an old fashioned vacuum!

I used my own high powered dryer at the desk in the bedroom area without any problems. I beleive the outlet in the bathroom is just for shavers, etc.

Archived