photo ID needed for kids in addition to birth certificate?

Chelsea_mom

Hi all, I was just reading through the documentation provided by HAL about what Immigration requires when cruising in the Caribbean. I was planning on using a birth certificate for my daughter who will be turning 2 while on the cruise (the cruise is this December, so we won't be subject to the new requirements). However, I am now concerned because HAL documentation states that we need a government issued ID in addition to the birth certificate.

So, for those of you who have recently cruised in the Caribbean with a small child and used a birth certificate rather than a passport, did they also require a photo ID?

I'd hate to get to the port and find out the hard way!!!

Thanks!

I believe that children under 16 yrs. old are not required to have a photo ID in addition to the birth certificate. We cruised in 2003 with our 1 yr. old and did not have to show a photo ID with her birth certificate. We now have passports for the kids, so I'm not sure of the current requirements. Just call HAL ship services 1-800-541-1576. They should be able to answer your question. Also, FYI if you are traveling without your daughter's other parent you may be required to have a notarized letter from that parent granting permission for you to take her out of the country. I had to do this once on a HAL W. Carib cruise when my husband was not able to go with us.

Thanks so much! Unfortunately, there isn't quite enough time to be sure that we would get the passport back. We went to apply for one yesterday, realised that they would have to take our only copy of her birth certificate, and decided that we couldn't risk letting that out of our hands. Yes, we almost certainly could get another copy of her birth certificate in time- but we didn't know for sure that we could. Yes, we probably would have gotten the passport back in time, but it isn't guaranteed. So we are going the birth certificate route this time. As soon as we get back, we'll apply for the passport.

I figured that it didn't make any sense that there would be a photo ID requirement for a 2 year old, but how many times have we seen government requirements that didn't actually make sense? :rolleyes:

I need to call HAL anyways and see if they can get soy milk for my daughter, so I'll also ask about the photo ID, just to have all bases covered.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much! Unfortunately, there isn't quite enough time to be sure that we would get the passport back. We went to apply for one yesterday, realised that they would have to take our only copy of her birth certificate, and decided that we couldn't risk letting that out of our hands. Yes, we almost certainly could get another copy of her birth certificate in time- but we didn't know for sure that we could. Yes, we probably would have gotten the passport back in time, but it isn't guaranteed. So we are going the birth certificate route this time. As soon as we get back, we'll apply for the passport.

I figured that it didn't make any sense that there would be a photo ID requirement for a 2 year old, but how many times have we seen government requirements that didn't actually make sense? :rolleyes:

I need to call HAL anyways and see if they can get soy milk for my daughter, so I'll also ask about the photo ID, just to have all bases covered.

Thanks again!

My son used to drink only soy milk. When we cruised, we would buy it at our destination before we got on the ship(we always fly in the day before, but you could have the taxi driver stop at a grocery store for you on the way if you fly in the day of). We bought the kind that did not NEED to be refrigerated(quart size and 8oz. size) and would then warm it in a portable bottle warmer. As he got older he liked his milk cold, so we would refrigerate as much as the small frigs' would hold.

In 2003 I wasn't asked to show photo ID for either of my daughters. In 2005 I was, not a problem for the one in high school she had her school ID. My then 7 year old didn't have a photo ID and I was told that she would have to go with someone from Princess to another room without any family members and be asked questions. Just before they took her I remembered that I had a baseball photo of her with her name on it and they took that as her photo ID. In 2006 she had a passport.

Cindy

I have talked to the folks at HAL, and the word is that a photo ID is not needed for someone who is under 14- just the birth certificate.

And they always have soy milk on board and will reserve the 7 quarts that we will need just for Grace. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived