I can't be the only one who does this....?

IndyMisty

So we're planning a wedding and subsequent honeymoon for sometime next summer. We're flexible but we'd like Alaska. My fiance lived in Seattle during his military service and wants to revisit. I really prefer round-trip. Less stress with multiple airports and all that. So.....I'm narrowing down the options.

My question is this....when deciding which cruise to pick....I look up all the roll calls for the different options and pick the group with the most activity or the one where I'd like to join in. I've been reading (but not posting on) several rolls for the Golden, which I think is a beautiful ship as well as the Carnival Spirit, which has two sailings in Sept.

Has anyone ever picked a cruise based on the amount of "fun" a certain roll call seems to be having and simply wanted to join in? If all options are equal, this seems like the easiest way to guarantee a good time with people you like.

Or am I delusional?

I would certainly not pick a cruise based on the activity on a roll call or the one that seems the most sociable. You pick a cruise based on your likeness of the ship or the specific itinerary. JMO.

. I really prefer round-trip. Less stress with multiple airports and all that.
Interesting thought... I did the Anchorage to Vancouver on the Coral a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. It really wasn't a big deal to go in / out of two different airports and you really get to see the whole range of Alaska. One of the most interesting trips I've ever done... We saw so much that I'd be willing to do it all again.

Just my $.02... (sorry for hijacking your thread to a different topic :) )

Has anyone ever picked a cruise based on the amount of "fun" a certain roll call seems to be having and simply wanted to join in?

It seems you are the only one. LOL

Seriously, I have heard of many such "unusual" ways to pick a cruise. There are those that look to see the Captain and CD because they will not cruise with certain ones. Some think size makes a difference and will not cruise on anything less than the size of a major city. I know one fellow who chose his ship based on the color or paint job on the hull.

The size of the Roll Call has little to do with how much fun. I have been on huge roll call ships where they all were fuddy duddys, and on small roll calls where we partied and had a marvelous time.

Now that is a unique way to pick a cruise. I always pick a cruise for the itiniery first even though it may not be Princess. I have been on roll calls where there was alot of activity and then while on the cruise never even saw the roll callers at all or they were just doing their own thing. On the other hand I have been on roll calls where there was alot of activiity and we spent alot of time together on shore excursion, dining, just resting by the pool etc. Then again I was on a roll call two years ago where some of the them are now dear, dear friends, we live approx two hours from 3 couples and we have done outside activities other than cruising. I guess the final point is you just do not know if a active roll call will be great or not.

Marilyn

I have to admit, this is the strangest way I have yet to hear for picking a certain sailing.

Let me warn you. Years ago I joined a very large group of online friends that I had talked to for a very long time, online only. Thought it would be the cruise to end all cruises. OMG, what a shock that was.

Just because they seem to be great online, doesn't always mean that they will be great in person too.

We have often times found those that we thought we would not have a lot of fun with on a roll call, ended up to be the most fun of any on our roll call.

The typed word does not always reflect peoples actual personalities.

But, this is totally your choice and I hope you find a good group for the cruise you finally choose.

Hi There,

Pick the cruise you want, do not pick what others think you may like, I have had friends on the same cruise and did not even know it until almost the end of the cruise,

Pick a cruise line that provides what you are looking for,

Pick a ship that provides the services you want.

Pick the ports that you want

Then go for it ,

Have a great time.

yours Shogun

And I thought that my way of picking a cruise by the number of funnels the ship has was goofy!:D

We are on a roll call for next April that appears to have a whole lot of great folks on it...but face it...until we actually get on the ship and into the beer we aren't really going to know!

I would pick the itinerary...pick the price...pick the ship...and go on a cruise! An added bonus will be if the folks on the roll call are as fun and friendly has you thought they would be!:D

Tom and Deb:)

Interesting way to pick a cruise. Until recently, I thought our roll call was so slow for our Alaska cruise next June. It's picked up a bit, but we still over 7 months away! I don't even think the ship is that full based on the cabins I still see available on cruise web sites.

Anyway, the roll call may represent a very small portion of those on the cruise. If you plan to spend a considerable amount of time with the roll call folks, then yes it makes sense to factor this into your decision. But, there are so many other interesting and diverse people on the cruise who are not on the roll call. You'll probably enjoy meeting them, and spending time with them on an excursion, at dinner, the pool, etc.

Okay, I have done it, but it was a River cruise. I had just returned from a wonderful time with a roll call group on the Coral and was looking at trips to China. I had determined what vendor and that I wanted to go in Aug. two posters had already said they were going on a date so I picked that date. Our trip was 7 months off and I wanted someone to chat with, it just ended up being us three, but we chatted with many more who took the trip before and after us. River cruises are small so you are lucky if you find one additonal passenger on these boards.

I agree with what the other posters say, but if this is the way you've picked cruises in the past, and it worked for you.....

However, this is your honeymoon, so maybe you won't care so much about the other people on board...

We booked our last cruise 13 months ahead and then I found the boards here, which was good as I had questions about that type of cruise. Eventually found the roll call area and started one for our cruise, which took a long time to get going. And even then, we had under 30 people (including spouses, I think) by the time of the cruise.

I couldn't see deciding which cruise by the activity on a roll call. We're limited by the time of year we could go (only during school breaks) and other considerations (LA based cruises get priority as they're easier for us, itineraies).

Has anyone ever picked a cruise based on the amount of "fun" a certain roll call seems to be having and simply wanted to join in? If all options are equal, this seems like the easiest way to guarantee a good time with people you like. Or am I delusional?

We have always picked the cruise and then went and visited the CC board. Interesting doing it the other way around.

It would give a perspective of the cruise from those knowledgeable about where your are planning to be. I know the CC board for our Golden British Isles cruise was full of information and pictures whetting our appetite. :D

I believe you see much more of the Alaska itinerary be going one way.................returning from another airport is no big deal at all........:p

just be sure you will be cruising tidewater glaciers at some place.......such as Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier and/or College Fjord.................

The people on the boards won't have much of an effect on your cruise; pick the itinerary.

A lot of people on the boards will drop out by then.

The repositioning cruise we are about to go on is one example; most of us on the board have booked it since August..............sort of last minute and a super deal! We are talking NOW, but it hasn't been going on for many months!

Whatever you do you will love Alaska and it's won't be your last Alaska cruise, I bet!;)

And I thought that my way of picking a cruise by the number of funnels the ship has was goofy!:D

We are on a roll call for next April that appears to have a whole lot of great folks on it...but face it...until we actually get on the ship and into the beer we aren't really going to know!

I would pick the itinerary...pick the price...pick the ship...and go on a cruise! An added bonus will be if the folks on the roll call are as fun and friendly has you thought they would be!:D

Tom and Deb:)

When in April are you going. I will be on the Crown on April 7, 2007. If you will be on that cruise, join our roll call.

Archived