Guaranteed Cabins?

LFM

We are booked and fully paid on the Dawn with "guaranteed" one outside cabin and one balcony cabin. Why does NCL do this instead of assigning cabins that are fully paid for? Do they overbook like the airlines do? I just don't get it.

I don't really understand the question. If you wanted a specific cabin, you can book that specific cabin (assuming it's available). OR you can book a guarantee, allowing the cruise line to assign your cabin. A guarantee sometimes costs less than booking a specific cabin. In addition, you are sometimes assigned a cabin that is above your category guarantee, meaning you're getting a free upgrade. Most mainstream lines operate this way, so I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

If your question is why do cruise lines offer guarantees to begin with, I would say that they do it because it offers them lots of flexibility in juggling passengers, often moving them around in their cabin assignments so they can sell the unassigned cabins more easily.

We are booked and fully paid on the Dawn with "guaranteed" one outside cabin and one balcony cabin. Why does NCL do this instead of assigning cabins that are fully paid for? Do they overbook like the airlines do? I just don't get it.
johnql is right. Just know that booking a guaranteed room is a risk-free opportunity to receive a free upgrade, but the ship can put you anywhere. We got lucky, I booked a BE balcony and was upgraded to a perfect BA blacony location.

• 3 weeks later...
Your choice - you can book as a "guaranteed" or select the cabin of your choice. Often "guaranteed" is cheaper but you take your chances on the cabin you get.
Shoreguy, what are the chances of being moved from the guarantee cabin you are allocated if you are not happy with the one you have. The rate was not cheaper but guarantee was all they could offer in the cat we wanted.

we booked a certain cabin, a balcony with FIL in a insider across the hall. told the TA we did not want any changes. the rest of the family booked GTYs. everyone was happy. their rooms were a little less, then ours. but we got just what we needed and everything was good.:D

Archived