How to tip the Butler and Concierge??

Ari939

How can you tip the Butler and Concierge? Do you have to use cash or can you put it on your onboard account?

You can do it either way. To have it put on your onboard account go to the pursers desk and they will automatically place a credit in the staff members account and send them a note and put the charge on your account. I believe they give you a slip to hand to the staff member.

Just back from a Pride of Hawaii cruise. About tipping our concierge, it was difficult because he was invisable. We did not see him (his name is eric) from the day we boared to the day we left. This was such a minor thing that it in no way impacted on our having a great time on the POH.

cheers

foxfire

from near annapolis md

Just back from a Pride of Hawaii cruise. About tipping our concierge, it was difficult because he was invisable. We did not see him (his name is eric) from the day we boared to the day we left. This was such a minor thing that it in no way impacted on our having a great time on the POH.

cheers

foxfire

from near annapolis md

We've always tipped in cash - I had no idea that you could add it to your shipboard account:eek: ......

That's good to know and thanks for the info.

I didn't find out until our last cruise when CC friends of ours did it early in the week, thinking they would just give the slip to the Butler at the end of the cruise. The Butler acknowledged the tip before they gave him the slip...so they must get notified when their ship account gets a credit put in it.

I guess it's another way to earn points by putting more charges on your onboard account...:D

I typically tip my butler during our first meeting, usually $50.00 in cash. In my mind, it gives him, or her an incentive for superior service, and I've not had any issues with this practice. As for the concierge, it really depends on if I use them, or not. At the end of the cruise, I usually tip my butler at least $100.00 cash, but have done as much as $200.00 on a 9 day trip. The concierge I tend to tip whenever I use them.;)

cheers

foxfire

from near annapolis md

Exactly - we only saw our concierge on the Sun once on the 4 day cruise. We asked her to book a couple of restaurants for us and have housekeeping bring up a couple more pillows, and nothing was done - oh well - no tip for you. Our butlers on the other hand were different as well, one we saw all the time, the other was invisible too. Because it was only a 4 day cruise, we thought $40 was enough for him. But, it is nice to know that you can have it added to your shipboard account.:)

I know that it really depends to the Concierge....just got back from a 8 night on the Spirit and gave the Concierge $250 and the Butler $100 (just had 3 times breakfast in the cabin)! On our 2 week transatlantic our Butler got over $500...he just was great!

Just a reminder...they only live from tip! The make a very small wage!

I wish I had known that we could put the tip for the concierge on our onboard account. Last year on the Dawn we recieved unexpected concierge service from Claudio. The last day of the cruise I went to find him and he was no where to be found. I left not being able to thank him appropriately for making that week the best. I'm hoping to be able to make it up to him this year.

Just to let people know, we had Carmen as our butler on the Dawn in February. She flat out refused our early "tip" (it was a great little tussle on the morning of day 2 :D ). She told me - "enjoy your trip and at the end, if you feel like showing appreciation, then you may do so". She was a pistol!! (And the reason we wanted to tip a bit early on was that we got engaged right upon boarding and there was a bit going on - my office quickly sent champagne, etc. and we felt like we had her running around extra hard!).

She was a total doll and I hope to see her again in April!

Just to let people know, we had Carmen as our butler on the Dawn in February. She flat out refused our early "tip" (it was a great little tussle on the morning of day 2 :D ). She told me - "enjoy your trip and at the end, if you feel like showing appreciation, then you may do so". She was a pistol!! (And the reason we wanted to tip a bit early on was that we got engaged right upon boarding and there was a bit going on - my office quickly sent champagne, etc. and we felt like we had her running around extra hard!).

She was a total doll and I hope to see her again in April!

We have had the pleasure of having Carmen as our butler twice on the Dawn. She sure is a pistol!!!! We would have had her for a third time in April 2006, but she getting off the ship for vacation the day we boarded.

Carmen is now on the Dream and hopes to get a transfer to the Star where her boyfriend is now. She extended her vacation to be with him in Romania and she couldn't get back on the Dawn.

You can't go wrong, all the butlers on the Dawn are top-notch.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Exactly - we only saw our concierge on the Sun once on the 4 day cruise. We asked her to book a couple of restaurants for us and have housekeeping bring up a couple more pillows, and nothing was done - oh well - no tip for you. Our butlers on the other hand were different as well, one we saw all the time, the other was invisible too. Because it was only a 4 day cruise, we thought $40 was enough for him. But, it is nice to know that you can have it added to your shipboard account.:)

We were on the Sun in September and our concierge Anike couldn't do enough

for us. She called several times, she came by our cabin to see if we needed anything and anytime I needed something, it was promptly looked after.

Toni

How can you tip the Butler and Concierge? Do you have to use cash or can you put it on your onboard account?

It is easier to tip them if they don't see you coming. If they see you, they could brace themselves and then they are very hard to tip over. Good luck.

Archived