Best Places to Eat Near Radio City.

dmk

I know there are some NYers on the board and many who know NY well. I am looking for suggestions of where to eat close to Radio City. I am looking for something moderately priced. Italian or Deli or..?

The show is at 7:30 p.m. Would you suggest going for dinner before or after the show?:)

I know there are some NYers on the board and many who know NY well. I am looking for suggestions of where to eat close to Radio City. I am looking for something moderately priced. Italian or Deli or..?

The show is at 7:30 p.m. Would you suggest going for dinner before or after the show?:)

Alot of places around the theaters offer Pre-Fix/Pre-Theater specials before the shows. It is a set menu where you choose your appetizer and entre. They range from $40-$60 per person. They usually start around 5pm and cost far less than dinner normally would. I suggest going before the show, because the show will last 2.5 hours with intermission. You will be getting out at 10pm and for some people that is too late.

I would check out Del Frisco's (SteakHouse) www.delfriscos.com/newyork, Cite (Italian) http://www.citerestaurant.com/dinner.asp, Rock Center Cafe (Mix, also in front of the Rockefeller skating rink) http://www.rapatina.com/rockCenterCafe/ for great dinners. Prices are always going to be high around Radio City, so it's best to find good quality and the best specials if you are going to spend that much money.

If you are even looking for cheaper dinners. There are alot of small restaurants along 8th avenue, between 50th and 42nd in the theater district. You'll find alot of reasonable finds from greek to burger joints, but the quality of food is a crapshoot. However, you'll be looking at around $20-30 per person for dinner.

If you want even cheaper there are small pizzerias, street venders and chain restaurants everywhere in that area. You wont have a hard time finding something to fit in your budget. You can even order your food and go underneath radio city and rockefeller center called the concourse level. There are signs everywhere on wear to enter. There are shops, restaurants and seating underneath the street and warmth to get away from the cold. There is a seating area with dining tables to eat your food and you get a front row seat to watch the people fall down on the ice skating rink of the famous rockefeller rink.

FYI: if you are going to go to a street vender (sometimes the best food in the city!) try my buddy on the corner of 50th st and 6th ave (right across radio city). Their gyro salad over rice platter is amazing!

Thank you so much smeyer418 and jedijood!!

These are great suggestions.

jedijood,

We will be going on Sat., Dec. 23rd. Would you suggest making reservations at the restaurants you recommended? Great information about eating earlier.

Thank you so much smeyer418 and jedijood!!

These are great suggestions.

jedijood,

We will be going on Sat., Dec. 23rd. Would you suggest making reservations at the restaurants you recommended? Great information about eating earlier.

Any day from Nov - Jan near Rockefeller Center, it is better to make reservations. 12/23 maybe a busy day in the city, since it is the last weekend day before christmas eve. Everyone will be taking advantage of going to the rink and taking pictures by the tree. So, reserve now just to be safe. It's not unheard of in NYC to reserve months in advance. It's just practical.

Like Smeyer, I'd go after the show. But it really depends on what you prefer. If it were me, I'd eat a late lunch and then go an enjoy dinner afterwards. It's a very festive time of year to be in NYC and the restaurants will be bustling with lots of people. But if you prefer to have dinner early, do that and then perhaps go someplace for drinks afterwards.

For cheap eats:

The coffee shop in the Edison Hotel on 47th St. between 8th and B'way is a good place for a fast and cheap. It's a no frills, no decor place that's very popular with many of the people who actually perform in the shows. I've seen Mathew Broderick as well as other stars there. But let me be clear, this is "eating", not "dining".

I love their matzoh ball soup.

For moderately priced french bistro fare, I like Pigalle on 8th Ave and 48th Street. www.pigallenyc.com

Chez Josephine is a favorite of mine. Though it's still walking distance from Rock Ctr, it might be a bit far if you're going before the show. It's owned by Jean Claude and Jerry Baker two of Josephine Baker's adopted children and this restaurant is their tribute to her. Jean Claude is one of the most charming people and makes everyone feel welcome. The food is good, prices moderate, the decor is lovely and the piano player makes it even more special for a late night dining. http://www.chezjosephine.com

There are far too many restaurants to mention in the midtown area. If you have a price range and a type of food, recommendations will flow. In the meantime, try this site. http://menupages.com/ It is a listing of over 5,000 NYC restaurants by cuisine and neighborhood. It also has menus for all of them. Great site

The coffee shop in the Edison Hotel on 47th St. between 8th and B'way is a good place for a fast and cheap. It's a no frills, no decor place that's very popular with many of the people who actually perform in the shows. I've seen Mathew Broderick as well as other stars there. But let me be clear, this is "eating", not "dining".

I love their matzoh ball soup.

Clearly eating but the food is fresh and good and even sometimes comes with an attitude--the last time we ate there the waitress sat with us...also NO credit cards...there is a cash machine however.

Actually the decor is interesting as it used to be the hotels ballroom...

Clearly eating but the food is fresh and good and even sometimes comes with an attitude--the last time we ate there the waitress sat with us...also NO credit cards...there is a cash machine however.

Actually the decor is interesting as it used to be the hotels ballroom...

Forgot to mention about the no credit cards. Thanks.

Yes, I agree the room is lovely.....but the formica tables sometimes obscure the beautiful blue & white "wedgewood" walls and arched ceiling.

Archived