Byob

We're getting ready to sail the Monarch in Sept with some good friends. Our first cruise, two years ago on Rhapsody, we found that many folks had thier own private "bar" in their staterooms! (My teenage son discovered this with all his "new" friends!). My question is, is it "winked at", "tollerated", or just plain "forbidden" to bring your own bottles of liquer on board, say packed in your suitcase? Doesn't the x-ray of the luggage discover stashed bottles? Has anyone out there done this? Any recommendations? I'd gladly share my recipe for "Buttery Nipples" for the information! :D

Thanks for your input

A Brand Newbie to this forum!

Larry

I was wondering the same thing....my boyfriend and I wanted to bring mini bottles of our favorite wine so we can snag them for a sunset beach walk in Bermuda. I don't see how it wouldn't be possible at least...we're not flying since we live in Jersey and going out of Bayonne....soooooo, unless RCI scans for insignificant things such as that, you could probably do it.

You can bring wine on board with no problem. Lots of people sneak their own liquor on board packed in their suitcases. Its xrayed but I have yet to see them do anythign about it. If its in your carry on you could lose it (maybe/maybe not). Its a hassel. RCI will sell you liquor from the ships store that you can bring back to your cabin. They add a fee on to the bottle for in cabin use. When they add this fee on, it costs the same as if you bought from your local liquor store. So I have given up on taking anythign in my luggage and just buy it on the ship. Less weight, less hassel, and NO Chance of breaking in my luggage

We have sailed out of Galveston twice now. We took bottles with us to have drinks in our room. We didn't sneak anything, they were in our carry on luggage and we were asked to open it as DH had Diet sprite cans in the bag. They took it through the X-Ray machine and let it through, then the attendent asked DH to open it to view the Sprite. They saw the bottles.... they were not concealed in any way. They told DH thanks that they just wanted to be sure about the Sprite and let him through. Neither one of us enjoy the type of Bourbon or Rum that the ship carries. If they had Jim Beam bourbon or Costillo rum we would buy them on board. For the people that like the brands that the ship sells it is great and they seem to complain that we are all sneaking bottles. When we order a drink outside of the room, which we do often, we get charged for a call brand.... so it costs us more money for our drinks even though it is a cheaper brand of liquor. We just happen to like what we like..... just like some people hate Coke and some like Pepsi. If you bring a bottle and they take it from you they will hold it until the end of the cruise.

The cruise line reserves the right to prohibit you from doing as you wish, but also reserves the right to enforce their rights whenever they wish, and not enforce their rights whenever they wish. The end-result is that it is a gamble. Most of the folks who's experiences I've read have relayed that the cruise line didn't stop them, but some relayed contrary experiences.

On our last cruise we took on alcohol and had no problem bringing it on board. We even had it in our carry on luggage. Even though I did bring on some, we still have a very hefty bar tab at the end of the cruise.

If you are going to bring some onboard, lots of people buy it in the plastic bottles and wrap it up well and put it in their checked luggage. Would not want the bottles to break.

We also brought on Pepsi and had no problem with that either.

I say stuff a bottle or two and the worst thing that can happen is that they will take it from you but they will give it back at the end of the cruise. It is worth the gamble so I say go for it.

Enjoy your cruise

Archived