Dinner Dress code for men on Legend

fkwok

Hi. What is the official policy on what I would have to wear to dinner? I was told it was either a jacket with collared shirt or a shirt with a tie. Both are anathema to me on a vaction, but when in Rome. Of course I could eat alone in the buffet while my wife and daughter eat in the nicer places.

Are there specific dining hours for both the fancy places as well as the buffet?

Thanks.

Hi. What is the official policy on what I would have to wear to dinner? I was told it was either a jacket with collared shirt or a shirt with a tie. Both are anathema to me on a vaction, but when in Rome. Of course I could eat alone in the buffet while my wife and daughter eat in the nicer places.

You've already answered your question.

Are there specific dining hours for both the fancy places as well as the buffet?

Thanks.

Casual nights: Shorts are not permitted, though not ruthlessly enforced (many cruisers might not like it if you do wear shorts). I believe the same goes for t-shirts. A nice shirt is pretty much the norm.

Formal nights: slacks, nice shirt and sport-coat is pretty much the minimum. Any less and you're stretching the rules a lot. Many will wear suits or even the occasional tuxedo. PLEASE if you can stay away from wearing sneakers on formal night, it would be great :) last cruise there were two teenagers who showed up to formal night in cargo pants, untucked shirts with half-tied ties, sneakers, and one was half-asleep. I couldn't stop STARING at the sneakers.

Part of the whole formal night thing is it is part of the experience. It's the formal dinner just like on the old ocean liners....dress up, get all the family photos taken, that sort of thing.

From Carnival:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear

is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same.

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with

the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening

gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks;

dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not

permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

You will need to check your Carnival Capers for the dining hours for each venue.

Thanks everyone for their help! I am soooooooo torn about this cruise. I guess I'm spolied b/c we've cruised on the NCL Dawn and the most I had to wear to a nice resturaunt was a collared shirt, slacks and dockers. Even then, I saw people wear jeans in the dining rooms.

I have two reason why I am soooooooooooo against this. One, is its my vacation. I wear a suit everyday to work! I do not want to wear one on vacation!

Two, I tend to travel light. I like to keep my stuff in a small roller case. I'm the typical beach bum. My family; however, like to dress up for dinner.

Why can't I just wear a collared shirt (oxford buttondown long sleeeve), khakis and boatshoes?

Agh.

I guess I'm spolied b/c we've cruised on the NCL Dawn and the most I had to wear to a nice resturaunt was a collared shirt, slacks and dockers. Even then, I saw people wear jeans in the dining rooms.

I have two reason why I am soooooooooooo against this. One, is its my vacation. I wear a suit everyday to work! I do not want to wear one on vacation!

Why can't I just wear a collared shirt (oxford buttondown long sleeeve), khakis and boatshoes?

:rolleyes:

Typical. So do I so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Sorry just not valid reasoning IMO.

You can....on NCL.

You can, on NCL.

Or sail on Windjammer, where it is even *less* formal.

I also wear a suit at the office, so freaking what? That, in and of itself, would not prevent me from abiding by "suggested dress code" when patronizing a dining venue, vacation or otherwise.

...sounds like familiar territory...!

On NON-Formal nights I will usually wear a nice shirt, dockers, boat (deck) shoes - clean cut and sharp will take care of you..

On Formal nights I will wear a suit sans collared shirt and tie... entirely proper.

Tom

Hi. I know I am kvetching about the whole dress code thing. Its a philosophical issue and a matter of principal with me. To some wearing a suit or even a tux on their cruise vacation is second nature. To some its a necessary evil. To some, like me, its akin to having to going to work on holiday. IMHO.

So, if you and your wife wanted to go and celebrate sometime and have dinner at a nice restaurant, and your wife was getting all dolled up, would you still dress down simply because you "dress in a suit all week"? That does not seem fair.. not to sound critical... but if you give your JOB the respect of wearing a suit to work all week, doesn't your WIFE deserve AT LEAST that? The chances of getting dressed up really nice with your family, having dinner and great pictures taken, doesn't come across everyday... so would it not be different wearing a suit for an occasion like that? You can't really compare it to work... you should be excited to be able to get gussied up with your family.. THEY don't go to work with you everyday...

Hey, that was a little too personal! I wear a suit to work b/c I have to, not b/c I want to. Just b/c I wear a suit to work doesn't mean I have to like it.

Wearing a suit to my wife has NOTHING! to do with my respect for her at all! How can you make a judgement about me or my wife when you know nothing about us?

I care enough about her to go on cruises. I am not a cruise fan, but she and my dd are so I work hard to afford a vacation they like to go on. Is that RESPECT enough for you? I did not go on this board and make comments about you repecting your S.O.

All I am saying is I would wear nice clothing, but not a suit. Why can't a collared shirt, kahakis and boatshoes be enough?

I was not trying to attack, just giving you a woman's point of view.. sorry you took it personal, like I said, I was trying not to be critical or judgemental, I just said it didn't seem fair... Maybe you did not understand what I was saying... I did NOT say you did not respect your wife, I said she deserved you (on occasion) dressing as nice as you do for work. That those opportunities don't come along often... You were comparing getting dressed up on the cruise to having to go to work on a holiday, I just did not think it sounded fair and was offering an opinion... what you described to wear is perfectly fine on the casual nights, I just have a different opinion on what people should wear for a formal night out, Sorry you took it so offensively... have a great cruise, whatever you decide to do.

Hey, that was a little too personal! I wear a suit to work b/c I have to, not b/c I want to. Just b/c I wear a suit to work doesn't mean I have to like it.

Wearing a suit to my wife has NOTHING! to do with my respect for her at all! How can you make a judgement about me or my wife when you know nothing about us?

I care enough about her to go on cruises. I am not a cruise fan, but she and my dd are so I work hard to afford a vacation they like to go on. Is that RESPECT enough for you? I did not go on this board and make comments about you repecting your S.O.

All I am saying is I would wear nice clothing, but not a suit. Why can't a collared shirt, kahakis and boatshoes be enough?

I don't see where that got personal?? I "have" to wear a suit also....dress code and all that. Would I like to be able to dress down every now and then? Of course, but sadly we can't. I don't like it either.

No need to get the undies wadded up!!

You asked a question, got an answer and apparently don't like what you heard. Now you're whining about the published dress codes. :rolleyes: If you didn't want to hear other's opinions, why did you ask the question in the first place? :confused:

BTW many of us also wear a suit to work every day because it comes with the territory.

Beth

fkwok,

You say you wear a suit at work b/c you have to, not because you like it.

In Carnival's dress code you find the word "required." Is that the same word used in your work dress code?

Wear the suit b/c you have to, don't like it, we don't care.

On a 7 day cruise you only have 2 formal nites. You can wear your slacks and collared shirt 5 nites. If you go to the Lido buffet a nite or two, you can wear shorts.

Why make a big issue about everyone looking their best 2 nites out of 7?

For over 30 years I had to wear a 3 piece. Slacks and sportcoat w/tie was "casual wear" and rare. I still wear a tux on formal nites b/c my wife loves it.

Dan

fkwok,

I still wear a tux on formal nites b/c my wife loves it.

And what's the old cliche? "If they aren't happy, nobody's happy" :D

LOL Liv, that's all I was trying to say! Us women don't always tell our men that they HAVE to get dressed up and of course we want them to be comfortable... but it sure makes us extra happy when they get all dolled up, makes us feel special :D ... especially if we are in an environment where everyone else is dressed just as nice... For most women, we love our guys to get dressed as nice as we do... Women feel those "uncomfortable" "couldn't you get him to dress any nicer than THAT?" stares from everyone, even when they aren't really there, LOL....

why did you ask the question in the first place? :confused:

The obvious answer is that the OP is seeking approval/justification for his planned course of action, knowing full well it runs contrary to the cruise line's published dress code.

Chris...I just went and put my suit and tie on...I'm wearing it as I type this...just for you...feel special??:p :D

should i even....

oohhh YEAH!

'feeling' special and 'being' special may or may/not be two different things..

It has to come from the heart...

Archived