Dress code - Panama/Costa Rice

denlar

Hi cruisers,

Need a little help, been on Seabourn a number of times but not so often recently - each time the dress code appears to alter, tie/jacket, now tie seems relaxed? Tux but now more people seem to be taking dark suits. We are on the 14day trip and with luggage restrictions (UK) need to be selective with what we pack. Can anyone advise how many formal evenings we should pack for? and other mix if known?

Many thanks

Probably 4 formal nights-either tux or dark suit OK for men (if you bother to count, you'll probably see more tuxes but most folks don't notice). I also usually take a blazer, some nice casual slacks and polo shirts and mix and match from that. No other ties, although some will also do that. Take comfortable, warm-weather casual clothes for the daytime--shorts, T-shirts, etc. Don't pack too much--there is a self-service laundry onboard as well as send-out laundry and dry cleaning service.

Hi denlar,

I was on the 11/21/04 Legend Panama Canal sailing and these were the evening dress guidelines for that cruise: 4 black tie optional, 6 elegant casual and 4 casual = 14 nights. Evening dress guideline definitions are explained in the brochure and also in the "Let the Voyage Begin ..." section of the preliminary cruise documentation booklet.

I have been cruising for almost three decades on about 8 cruise lines starting on 3-star greek cruise ships and and working my way up to Seabourn. And on all of those cruise lines (including Seabourn), a dark business suit was always acceptable in lieu of a tux. I love to get dressed up for the formal nights and on long cruises, I often pack my white dinner jacket as well.

However, I am fully aware of the current luggage restrictions being placed on passengers, that this is a personal decision and it is your vacation. Psssst, Mrs. Tex805 - I am with you, keep up the pressure! ;) :D

These luggage restrictions are really worrying me....how on earth am I supposed to pack for a 72 day cruise (2008 South America). We will have hot and cold weather...will be leaving Australia in about 90 degree heat so WEARING coats etc wont work!:eek: Suppose everyone apart from Americans will be having the same problem.....I hate to think how many "formal nights" we will be having......but I will be the one in the same outfit every time!! :o (we also plan to visit Mickey in Orlando for a week before the cruise.....plus travel time, probably via Asia makes it about an 85 day trip!)

>"but I will be the one in the same outfit every time!!"

I had a two week Seabourn cruise with a woman who had only 1 posh dress; long and red. She loved it and wore it every night; and could have cared less, just like the rest of us. It certainly didn't make her less fun or interesting.

That being said, can you send luggage via one of the firms that have been discussed?

Jane (hoping to join you for part of the SA cruise in'08)

Jane BP.....sending our luggage from Australia to the ~other~ side of the USA would cost as much as the cruise! So no, we will just have to drag it all with us somehow!

Lord of the Seas....you are just being silly now, we DONT wear the cork hats at every formal night.......maybe the Captains Reception ones...after all we dont want to over do it now do we?

Archived