FYI - Passport Renewal Turnaround Time

Driller36

This is just a FYI for anyone interested. I mailed my routine, non-expedited passport renewal paperwork to Pennslyvania from Dallas, Texas, on Sep. 25. A few days later I received an email confirming that the paperwork had been received and that I could expect my renewed passport on or before Nov. 8. I received the passport on Oct. 25, exactly 30 days after mailing the paperwork, but of course, 'your mileage may vary'. Also, it does NOT contain a RFID chip.

Regards, Bobby

Turn around was fast on mine, only took 27 days, the routine way, not expedited. I live in Georgia, and mine came from New Orleans, not the kind with the chip either. I figured it would have come from a closer office, but it didn't. Personally, doesn't matter to me where it came from, I'm just happy I got it back so quickly:D

I applied for a new passport, not a renewal, on Oct. 3rd at a local post office and received my passport exactly 3 weeks later on Oct. 21st. It has the chip in it. I couldn't believe the fast turnaround! I was expecting 6 weeks at the earliest!

We applied for our (new) passports earlier this month, the checks cleared last week so I imagine we'll be getting them soon.

At the risk of sounding dumb...what is the purpose of the "chip"? I gather that you don't know if your passport will have one until you get it? I hadn't heard anything about them containing a chip-just wondered...:rolleyes:

I hope anyone that is cruising in the early months of 07 have applied for their passports by now....I'd hate to think what the wait will be come December:eek:

At the risk of sounding dumb...what is the purpose of the "chip"? I gather that you don't know if your passport will have one until you get it? I hadn't heard anything about them containing a chip-just wondered...:rolleyes:

Straight from the U.S. Passport website (http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/eppt/eppt_2498.html):

The chip will securely store the same data visually displayed on the photo page of the passport, and will additionally include a digital photograph. The inclusion of the digital photograph will enable biometric comparison, through the use of facial recognition technology at international borders. The U.S. “e-passport” will also have a new look, incorporating additional anti-fraud and security features.

Archived