No penalty for bringing home extra liquor

skewsus

Just home from the 10-15 (Exotic Western) Valor cruise. We purchased and claimed 16 1-liter bottles of various liquors. We were not assessed any taxes. Customs rep just chatted w/me and my husband and welcomed us home. I know many recent threads have stated they have started collecting the fees but our experience indicated they still aren't bothering to collect anything under $50.00.:D

It would not be worth their time to hassle with a small dollar amount. No where near the hassle of lugging off all those bottles!

The important thing is that you declare all the liquor accurately to customs. They know you don't care if they assess you duty or not, and they don't care much more than you do about it.

I have a question about where you claim what you are taking off the ship. The last time we cruised, my hubby got up very early to go to the special meeting place for the customs personel. When he returned, he said he felt he didn't have to be there for that. Do we need to go that or just claim somewhere else when we debark?

We've always brought booze home from our trips. The one's that we take in the fall usually have a few extra bottles than usual; just in case we need some for the holidays. Sometimes we were charged for the extras bottles,sometimes we not.:rolleyes:

GO figure. I guess it just the mood your customs agent is in the morning!:o

Just off the 10/14 Triumph and we brought back 25 bottles and nothing was said. AS far as where to claim them, I have no idea, I didnt see anything on the customs paper to indicate I had extra liquor, I only filledout the front and put the dollar amount of all that was purchased. The back I thought maybe but i heard teh ast CD say that you only fill out the back if you go over the $800 allowed amount. I could have heard worng either way on the advice of everyone here we wernt gonn ahide it if asked but no one asked and we each walked right to the customs agent with a 4 pack box, so at least he knoew we had 8. The other 20 somthings were in our carry on. It didnt look like they really cared what you were bringing back, i didnt even see a table where they would have you open your luggage or anything.

Just off the 10/14 Triumph and we brought back 25 bottles and nothing was said. AS far as where to claim them, I have no idea, I didnt see anything on the customs paper to indicate I had extra liquor, I only filledout the front and put the dollar amount of all that was purchased. The back I thought maybe but i heard teh ast CD say that you only fill out the back if you go over the $800 allowed amount. I could have heard worng either way on the advice of everyone here we wernt gonn ahide it if asked but no one asked and we each walked right to the customs agent with a 4 pack box, so at least he knoew we had 8. The other 20 somthings were in our carry on. It didnt look like they really cared what you were bringing back, i didnt even see a table where they would have you open your luggage or anything.
You are supposed to go to customs, on the ship, early the morning of debarktation to pay duty for over the limit of alcohol. I have always been charged. I normally bring home 2 cases and it comes to about 2.70$ a bottle. Wish I could get one of those nice agents. I even chat them up because most were trained at FLETC in Brunswick Ga. which is just above me and where I received my Nursing education and worked for the hospital for a few years. Maybe I'll get lucky on my next cruise in a few weeks.

See we were told in the debarkation talk to stay clear of the customs area. That we were not to go in there. I have not heard ever about having to go to customs to declare anything, I have alwasy been told that theyll ask if i have anything to declare as I am leaving. oh well..

Archived