Is the Statendam fit for Purpose

Dee James

Give the OP a break. There is nothing like toilet troubles to put a damper on things. The reviewer in "Just Back From The Lovely Statendam" says "SMELLS: One wag at the Ocean Bar jokingly said, "SOE.... SMELL OF EXCREMENT!" I did detect some unplesant odours in a few areas." http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=434132

How would you like to have your cabin in one of those areas? Gads! Most of us live in North America with indoor plumbing that works. I have not been in a hotel/motel with a stopped toilet since 1973. I have had no "toilet issues" in this house since we bought the place 18 years ago. I have had "toilet issues" on both HAL cruises, the Rotterdam in 1999 and the Zuiderdam in 2006. Maybe I am spoiled, but I expect a toilet to do something when I flush it.

Yes, I know that all vacuum toilets have troubles. Maybe 100% of toilet problems are caused by passenger error. Nobody flushes dentures, eyeglasses, and jewelry on purpose, but it happens all the time.

I think that HAL staff probably hears about malfunctioning toilets so often that they don't always lend a sympathetic ear. I am no priss, but I can imagine how excited a lady is to have a plumber in to look at what won't go down her toilet. Give the OP a break.

Again, not being on this cruise or in the OP shoes difficult to determine how we would percieve their issues. Personally I place no credence in what they have posted due to the lack of specifics or replies to the requests for more info. Stephens' review on the other hand mentions the highs and lows and allows for a more reasonable assessment. I wish I could take a cruise of this duration...maybe some day :)

As for the second posting of same sketchy review I would guess it would be to obtain more effect...maybe the moderator should combine threads?

whogo,

A malfunctioning toilet and odors from it are never fun. They're horrible. And they CAN and DO impact the enjoyment of one's cruise.

However ... and this is a big however ... such isn't an indicator that the ship is ready for the breakers. Such problems are usually (1) localized, (2) temporary, and (3) the result of passengers flushing stuff they shouldn't (if not the passengers experiencing the problem, then some other passenger elsewhere along the line). Areas with odor problems and toilet malfunctions are NOT fun, but they are not ship-wide and they are usually correctable if one applies proper pressure to the proper people. RuthC had repeated problems on the Zaandam recently and she applied repeated, consistent pressure until it was finally fixed. Was it annoying? Yes, of course. Did it ruin her cruise or cause her to call for the scrapping of the 6 year old Zaandam? No.

In short, it's not the experience that is being disbelieved or the problem pooh-poohed. It's the hyperbolic conclusion that is being discounted.

Archived