Nyc taxis/carseats

glen tev

Were taking a spring cruise on the Dawn.Planned on taking amtrak from Albany to Penn station and then a cab to the peir.I know the port is only a couple of miles.My question is do i need car seats.i would hate to get stranded in Penn station when i can drive from Albany.The funny part is Amtrak r/t is cheaper than the parking/gas and tolls.I know in some states commercial vechiles,vans,cabs,limo's etc are exempt from this law.Any help would be appreciated.

Were taking a spring cruise on the Dawn.Planned on taking amtrak from Albany to Penn station and then a cab to the peir.I know the port is only a couple of miles.My question is do i need car seats.i would hate to get stranded in Penn station when i can drive from Albany.The funny part is Amtrak r/t is cheaper than the parking/gas and tolls.I know in some states commercial vechiles,vans,cabs,limo's etc are exempt from this law.Any help would be appreciated.

I live in NYC, so I can definitively say that they are exempt from the car seat laws, however the question is whether you really want to take that ride without a car seat. NYC cabbies are crazy!!! There is a "portable" seat called the Tote N Go (only about 4 lbs) that you might want to invest in (they aren't terribly expensive). Oh, yes, if you decide to take this route, you might want to tell the driver to go ahead and start the meter when you start to install the device. Other wise the cabbie can't start it until he/she pulls away from the curb. It only seems polite to me to pay for the extra time (just be sure to learn how to install it before hand!)

If you decide to go completely car seatless, I'll pass on some great advice that I was given... If you get worried about the driving, tell the cabby to slow down and be more careful. If they don't respond immediately, tell them that there will be no tip if they don't slow down. I haven't taken a cab since I got that tip, but I'd bet that it works 95% of the time.

Have a great trip!

http://www.babyage.com/products/22-909jrm_safety_1st_safety_1st_tote_n_go_dx_portable_car_seat.htm?cp=goog11732

We live in NYC and use this for trips to the port and airport. I feel more comfortable knowing my toddler is in a 5 point harness.

When my son was an infant I'd use the Baby Bjorn or Hip Hugger. I felt safer knowing he was attached to me and I was strapped in with the seat belt.

Now, for short trips within the city, I just hold my toddler really tight on my lap, say a pray and ask the drive to SLOW DOWN!

Thanks for the reply's.Were still debating on what to do.We have driven it once(to ny)and twice to bayonne,so were familiar on how to get there.We thought the train would be exciting for the kids but it's too much to have to drag car seats along,so we'll probably drive.

Archived